Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: Washington starting Safety Asa Turner headed to UF

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Scheme doesn't mean that much. You can copy anyone's scheme. I'm sure there's a bunch of guys using the same scheme as shart but that doesn't mean they'll win. It's knowing when to employ what coverage from play to play, adapting the scheme to hide your players weaknesses and emphasize their strengths, etc.

If scheme was the important thing, everyone would just memorize the playbook in Madden and call it a day.
I get you and agree.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Our DB tackling has been the worst I've seen in 50 years of watching Gator football. Diving at the feet every damn play, had to be coming from the coaches and will be a hard habit to break. I've watched a lot of NFL games since our season fell apart and they have all but eliminated that from the pro game. Straight up, break down with the facemask to the chest and drive through. Watched it over and over this weekend. Glad Raymond is gone and asked for it weeks ago.

Edit: Should have been in the coaches changes thread, but our program is in shambles so what does it matter.

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our DB tackling has been the worst I've seen in 50 years of watching Gator football. Diving at the feet every damn play, had to be coming from the coaches and will be a hard habit to break. I've watched a lot of NFL games since our season fell apart and they have all but eliminated that from the pro game. Straight up, break down with the facemask to the chest and drive through. Watched it over and over this weekend. Glad Raymond is gone and asked for it weeks ago.

Edit: Should have been in the coaches changes thread, but our program is in shambles so what does it matter.
Looking back at the KY game, first drive of the game. Davis gashes us for a big run, next play, he runs into the line and is stuffed. Kimber runs up, bumps the D-Line - Davis steps to his right and runs for 15 yards. All Kimber had to do was grab him, hug him, give his a bear hug. SOMETHING, ANYTHING. Nope, he's too scared.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Looking back at the KY game, first drive of the game. Davis gashes us for a big run, next play, he runs into the line and is stuffed. Kimber runs up, bumps the D-Line - Davis steps to his right and runs for 15 yards. All Kimber had to do was grab him, hug him, give his a bear hug. SOMETHING, ANYTHING. Nope, he's too scared.
Yeah, we could put together a highlight film on that particular player, just not engaging at all. Sort of, two hand touch type of stuff. Saw it in every single game we played. But, it really sticks out in the big games. He would occasionally, throw a shoulder in and make a tackle, and especially pile on and help when someone else engaged first, but, for the most part, he was worthless.
He should never see the field in any capacity at any level of football, ever again.

You are what you put on tape.
This guy thinks he can go through the motions like that and still get interest from the NFL he's a damned fool.

He wasn't the only one either. Which does lead me to believe, Coaching was a factor. After that Kentucky debacle, a decent secondary coach, would have somewhat corrected these same tackling issues. They're blatant, they're on film, and for that to not be addressed for two years, is disgusting.

Probably why Raymond is gone.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, we could put together a highlight film on that particular player, just not engaging at all. Sort of, two hand touch type of stuff. Saw it in every single game we played. But, it really sticks out in the big games. He would occasionally, throw a shoulder in and make a tackle, and especially pile on and help when someone else engaged first, but, for the most part, he was worthless.
He should never see the field in any capacity at any level of football, ever again.

This guy thinks he can go through the motions like that and still get interest from the NFL he's a damned fool.

He wasn't the only one either. Which does lead me to believe, Coaching was a factor. After that Kentucky debacle, a decent secondary coach, would have somewhat corrected these same tackling issues. They're blatant, they're on film, and for that to not be addressed for two years, is disgusting.

Definitely has to be what they are being coached (lack thereof) and agree with it is probably why he is gone. With DBs you have to make those tackles. Not addressing and correcting that is inexcusable.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Shart and his staff have shown to be outstanding talent evaluators. When a player leaves Ugly, they rarely have great success at their next stop - Jermaine Burton at Bama being the notable exception - indicating to me that guys like Cox and Kimber were clearly processed and they know how to keep the talent from going in the portal.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Kamari Wilson is 6ft tall, and they want him to switch to LB? Yeah, I'd tell them to suck one. These guys, particularly the 5* guys are thinking NFL and he ain't getting drafted as a LB for the league at 6ft. It's just like all the asst. coaches Billy had coaching areas outside of their expertise.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Kamari Wilson is 6ft tall, and they want him to switch to LB? Yeah, I'd tell them to suck one. These guys, particularly the 5* guys are thinking NFL and he ain't getting drafted as a LB for the league at 6ft. It's just like all the asst. coaches Billy had coaching areas outside of their expertise.
The guy has been buried on the scout team all year and because he was highly over-rated won't learn a new position because he wants to get in "the league"? Unrealized potential meet unrealistic expectations!

Aug 5, 2014
If I'm allowed to praise Billy at all here, I will say he has done things for the players that will make them think twice before leaving like in past years. Their apartment situation, NIL, the food they eat and even the parking nightmare they have faced for years all transformed by Napier after years of being a cluster fuch.

He just has to convince them and their families he can get them in the league. That's going to be a tough sell with the numbers we have put up on both sides of the ball.
Absolutely....kids from high school are always concerned about the "parking nightmare" at the next level. Some no doubt have that above playing time and being competitive enough to be in a bowl game...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
between Our DB tackling has been the worst I've seen in 50 years of watching Gator football. Diving at the feet every damn play, had to be coming from the coaches and will be a hard habit to break. I've watched a lot of NFL games since our season fell apart and they have all but eliminated that from the pro game. Straight up, break down with the facemask to the chest and drive through. Watched it over and over this weekend. Glad Raymond is gone and asked for it weeks ago.
This was the biggest single detriment to our overall defensive output this year. In todays modern CFB offenses you just aren't going to stop even marginal teams dead in their tracks.....it's solid tackling after the catch that means so much these days. As much as I hate UGA and even Fsux there is a world of difference in the ability and quality of tackling on the back end of their defenses compared to whatever it is that we were doing out there this year.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

And he repeated that performance throughout the season and continued to play and started nearly every game for the rest of the season.

I was questioning Raymond in October for this reason.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The guy has been buried on the scout team all year and because he was highly over-rated won't learn a new position because he wants to get in "the league"? Unrealized potential meet unrealistic expectations!

Agreed

My understanding is that he’s a step slow to be a P5 safety and he makes up for it by making bad reads and taking bad angles.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don’t know. I’ve seen drills of him and the other safety’s and there is a noticeable difference between guys like him and Castell in terms of hips and speed. So that’s not the problem. And if it’s tackling, you certainly don’t want him at LB. I also don’t think you can recruit a kid to play a particular position and then switch within a year. This isn’t Eli Williams just being passed by Taylor and Jackson and making a move in his last year or two. We have Mitchell out there who’s nowhere near as athletic. I think the LB thing is a smokescreen for him not doing all the right things Napier insists on. Similar to Powell-Ryland, Hopper, Borders and others. He’s so set on everything being “his way” in the off the field areas that he’s completely blinded to what ultimately should be the end game, which is winning.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Definitely has to be what they are being coached (lack thereof) and agree with it is probably why he is gone. With DBs you have to make those tackles. Not addressing and correcting that is inexcusable.

IMO, this is a new trend that has infected all of college football, not just the Gators.
Defenders want to "bring the boom" and only use their pads. They never wrap up or use their arms/hands.
It's frustrating and I can't wait for some team to start teaching how to wrap up or to put a facemask in a runner's chest and sweep their legs.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
With all the targeting crap, if you wrap up high you can’t avoid helmet to helmet. Hopefully head up and not the crown. But dem refs love the Gators

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
highly overrated? Who on our staff decided he was "highly over-rated"? Was it the same ass clowns that thought Kimber was under appreciated at Ugay? Or maybe the same ass clown that thought George was under-rated at Bama? We just got rid of 2 defensive staff members because seemingly their ability to develop sucks ass. I don't have any confidence that this staff can make that sort of decision an in fact sounds like an excuse not to play a kid that they didn't recruit **disclaimer** not sure if Mullen or BN staff recruited him but he was either no.1 or 2 safety.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
highly overrated? Who on our staff decided he was "highly over-rated"? Was it the same ass clowns that thought Kimber was under appreciated at Ugay? Or maybe the same ass clown that thought George was under-rated at Bama? We just got rid of 2 defensive staff members because seemingly their ability to develop sucks ass. I don't have any confidence that this staff can make that sort of decision an in fact sounds like an excuse not to play a kid that they didn't recruit **disclaimer** not sure if Mullen or BN staff recruited him but he was either no.1 or 2 safety.
Ding ding ding!! I don't think we know what we have with Wilson yet. If he ends up staying, that at least shows commitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.