Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: Washington starting Safety Asa Turner headed to UF

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He's likely going to get the same amount of touches. With Montrell returning and Webb, it may be less actually. Should he be getting the majority of the touches? Yes without a doubt, but Billy doesn't understand that you feed your playmakers. Billy likes to starve his playmakers it seems.
Montrell Johnson has also made an assload of plays for UF. The play I celebrated the most this past season was that screen pass TD he had against UT to put their asses away.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Shart got a look at that pass protection film and is like
No Way Do Not Want GIF

Then Carson Beck is like.......
Jimmy Fallon Ok GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hate that ETN wants out but we will be fine at that position. Just wish I felt the same about the line.
I put this in a thread on TOS. I think we had one of the worst strings of luck with an OL I’ve ever seen.

“The money for offense needs to be spent on OL recruits. We lost so many OL players last year. Tarquin and White went to USC. Braun went to Arkansas. Egauken was trash last year and was the most penalized OL player in the country. And yet he was our most needed/wanted player (though injured for about 80% of the season) this year.

In addition to that, transfers Mazzcua and Waites were hurt through the summer and were never 100% through the year. And Goodwin left the team before the summer for family health issues

Everything that could’ve gone wrong with the OL did.”

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
RB is not a problem. Don't sleep on Carroll if he returns(?)He looked good before his injury and brings 235# to the pile. Hell, Mizzou and Kentucky plugged in Division 2 and Vandy retreads at RB last year and left tire tracks all up and down our asses....

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I put this in a thread on TOS. I think we had one of the worst strings of luck with an OL I’ve ever seen.

“The money for offense needs to be spent on OL recruits. We lost so many OL players last year. Tarquin and White went to USC. Braun went to Arkansas. Egauken was trash last year and was the most penalized OL player in the country. And yet he was our most needed/wanted player (though injured for about 80% of the season) this year.

In addition to that, transfers Mazzcua and Waites were hurt through the summer and were never 100% through the year. And Goodwin left the team before the summer for family health issues

So really our RB room will struggle to produce no matter who is back there.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
RB is not a problem. Don't sleep on Carroll if he returns(?)He looked good before his injury and brings 235# to the pile. Hell, Mizzou and Kentucky plugged in Division 2 and Vandy retreads at RB last year and left tire tracks all up and down our asses....
I was really looking forward to Carroll and seeing what he could do. Hoping he is able to make a good return. It's been a while since we've had a real bruiser back there. Just hoping the OL will shape up to allow him to punish defenders.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I was really looking forward to Carroll and seeing what he could do. Hoping he is able to make a good return. It's been a while since we've had a real bruiser back there. Just hoping the OL will shape up to allow him to punish defenders.
We did struggle many times last year on short yardage 3rd and 4th down situations where a bruiser like Carroll would have been a better option....of course when the offensive line allows 2 or 3 guys to be 3-4 yards deep into the backfield it may not matter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He'll probably go somewhere and struggle in a completely new system - we already know he doesn't block. He's crazy to do this with one year left.

I’ve heard he just released a Top 3 of Bowling Green, Idaho and Washington State. Apparently there’s a dry cleaners in Pullman throwing some serious coupons at him.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Florida should have paid Goodwin while he was off being with his mother, so maybe he will return.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Montrell Johnson has also made an assload of plays for UF. The play I celebrated the most this past season was that screen pass TD he had against UT to put their asses away.

If it’s the play I’m thinking of, it was a good play by Johnson, but a great play by Mertz. Johnson is a good back, but hardly the playmaker ETN is.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I think we had one of the worst strings of luck with an OL I’ve ever seen.
What does luck have to do with it? Billy-boy failed to recruit his best players (well, most needed anyhow) back onto the team. They were already Gators, lived here, loved the Swamp, know the culture.... but Billy-Bob couldn't pay them enough to stay? That's not luck. That's failure. Our O-line is so thin, we're dooomed next season for sure. This keeps happening even though we have two OL coaches!?!?!?!?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We did struggle many times last year on short yardage 3rd and 4th down situations where a bruiser like Carroll would have been a better option....of course when the offensive line allows 2 or 3 guys to be 3-4 yards deep into the backfield it may not matter.
Question- was our OL just that slow compared to SEC DLs? I'm having visions of LSU in the backfield immediately after the ball is in play, almost unblocked. How does that happen? Still remember Herbstreit commenting first game that we looked big, but slow.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I can't. Great player but flirting with georgia or fsu is unforgivable.
If we were down to three RBs on roster with hopes of landing a fourth through the portal, I would say bring him back. But now? Aside from the Tenn game, where he was all world, what other games was he an exemplary and foundational RB? I understand our staff might not call plays in situations that bring out the best in a skill player and our OL had a bad year. I am disappointed in the state of the program, externally and probably internally, but now that things have settled, I don't know is losing ETN matters, other than it is/was a bad look and a gut punch after the other commit defections.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
If it’s the play I’m thinking of, it was a good play by Johnson, but a great play by Mertz. Johnson is a good back, but hardly the playmaker ETN is.
And yet ... the stats say there's not much difference. ETN made more flashy plays that stick in the mind, Johnson leans more towards consistently effective. Both playing with same OL. ENT a distinct liability on passing plays .. that's 50% of the plays, more or less. With a stronger OL, that would be less of a problem. But for the Gators in 2023, that could not be ignored.

I have mixed emotions about the possibility of ETN coming back. Even without him, IMO RB is the strongest position group we have, and the young guys need carries too.

But not my decision, or ours. ETN returning would require that both the ETN family and Napier agreeing that's what they want to do .., and that both sides can get over any b*tthurt they've suffered. Anything is possible, but I personally am not expecting a reunification.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Question- was our OL just that slow compared to SEC DLs? I'm having visions of LSU in the backfield immediately after the ball is in play, almost unblocked. How does that happen? Still remember Herbstreit commenting first game that we looked big, but slow.
Play design. Look up outside or split zone and see who blocks the backside DE (or any backside LBs), then guess what happens when you run this playaction about 80% of the passing plays and try to pass out of it (usually with slow developing receiver routes)... especially if you add a fake jet sweep to it to further slow down the the action.

This is another example of "just because you can draw it on the board doesn't mean it works." Our adjustment was mostly having the jet WR try to block the backside end. Guess how that went?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Billy does like the double pirouette play action so the qb can turn around just in time to see a big shadow. At least he compresses the field to help the qb. :)
Most our OL was not mobile, whether dinged or not. Calling plays requiring quick steps and motoring puts them at a disadvantage Before the snap. Much like our pass catching TE or RB picking up a DE or LB. It rarely ends well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator