Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Someone figure out how much, and then Gator Nation should immediately crowd source that amount. We could have 1 Million raised in about two weeks. Just tell us how much big Boy. Seriously. I am not kidding. What are we waiting for?
if you raise a million that million is not going to football.

maybe 20%.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
9-0 on restraining income as anti-trust, but do you think restricting transfers would be disallowed as well?

The NCAA just lost a court case on limiting kids from transferring more than once again under the current case law. This isn't even a close call. I believe it was simply quick injunction hearing.

The only rationale for limiting transfers is the same rationale that was used for limiting players income. You believe in "amateurism" or you want your football team to be stronger to the detriment of the student athlete's ability to choose where they want to go. This is exactly the analysis the court denied in the past case. Unanimously.

Thee only way any limits on a football player (or any other student for that matter) could be could pass legal muster is if Congress passes some sort of antitrust exemption which survives judicial scrutiny.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Thee only way any limits on a football player (or any other student for that matter) could be could pass legal muster is if Congress passes some sort of antitrust exemption which survives judicial scrutiny.
So we know for a fact that boat don't float!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Florida State doesn’t have more money at their disposal than we do. Yet they are 5 spots ahead of us in recruiting, are already landing stars for the ‘25 class and are absolutely pummeling us in the portal. That’s what winning 13 games and being able to say, “you’re the last piece we need to be a championship team” (whether true or not) gets you. On the flip side, it’s also what happens when you paint yourself into a corner where everyone expects you to be fired the following season.

Meyer didn’t expect the world to be handed to him. He won in 2005 with a lot of baggage players and a refusal to lose, and that earned him the 2006 class that won 2 NCs. That’s the “process” that works. Hal is an idiot.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA just lost a court case on limiting kids from transferring more than once again under the current case law. This isn't even a close call. I believe it was simply quick injunction hearing.
They didn't lose a court case on limiting transfers. A judge put a temporary restraining order in place pending an injunction hearing, but the parties agreed to forego the hearing and convert the order into a preliminary injunction pending a trial. The trial won't take place until after the 23/24 spring sports season concludes.

I'm not sure how the courts will ultimately rule, but this situation is clearly different than NIL in that the NCAA isn't dictating what the player can do with a third party outside of the NCAA.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They didn't lose a court case on limiting transfers. A judge put a temporary restraining order in place pending an injunction hearing, but the parties agreed to forego the hearing and convert the order into a preliminary injunction pending a trial. The trial won't take place until after the 23/24 spring sports season concludes.

I'm not sure how the courts will ultimately rule, but this situation is clearly different than NIL in that the NCAA isn't dictating what the player can do with a third party outside of the NCAA.
They agreed because they dont have a scintilla chance of succeeding. One of the elements of a injunction is "likely to prevail on the merits".

I hope no one pays you for this analysis.

Youre still one of my favorite posters. Clearly top 10 ish.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Says the guy that didn't even have his facts straight
Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

The only rationale for limiting transfers is the same rationale that was used for limiting players income. You believe in "amateurism" or you want your football team to be stronger to the detriment of the student athlete's ability to choose where they want to go. This is exactly the analysis the court denied in the past case. Unanimously.

Thanks. Am I correct in that only MLB has an an anti-trust exemption?

Seems like given that the NFL, NBA etc. can agree (with the players) to restrict free agency for the sake of competitive balance and viability the NCAA could find a way.

If not, is it even compatible with the university? Or would it become like a city’s association with a pro team?

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019

From one of our boosters. If this is the thinking, might as well pack it in and just reminisce about the good ole days.

Been doing it since 08. Thanks for the clarification. That 0.01% "We might be on our way to being a top and relevant football program again" thought at the beginning of each season will be averted.

08 was great and everything since is fake

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My goodness. All this talk about NIL and are not taking part being the death of things, how many teams this year or last do you think we were truly at a talent disadvantage? Kentucky and Missouri are not outspending us. They’re developing and properly coaching kids to 9-11 win seasons in the same division as us. Any notion that such a feat couldn’t be done here because of our NIL resistance is laughable. Let’s start there. Then, if we can’t get over the 10-11 win hump and are stuck in second tier behind uga/Tex/Ala, we can start talking about how we could up things through booster donations. But nothing I’ve seen tells me we’d be more than a 7-8 win team with any roster being coached by the current staff. Thats where it starts. Show your worth with what you have and give the fans a reason to step up. Until then it’s a joke to even ask.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Funny how just a few months ago there were articles written stating UF was top 5 or 6 in the country with NIL funding. Del Torre and and the other new guy have wrote stories about numerous players this recruiting cycle that UF out bid everyone else and still lost. But of course it's the fans and boosters fault we can't recruit for ****. Has nothing to do with the retard losing 7 ****ing games 2 years in a row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator