Show recommendation thread

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The Falcon & Winter Soldier (Disney +) - Marvel giving a preview of how woke they are going to go in the future. The action is good and the plot is good as well. It's the side stories they have to throw in that go woke (racism, open borders, etc). Anyway after the events of Endgame someone was able to recreate the super solider serum. A terrorist group gets it and creates a few of them. Sam and Bucky now head out to try to stop them, but the new Captain America is also on their tail. Villain not revealed yet and of course all of the terrorist are made to look like they are not that bad. Basically they want the world back that Thanos made. Population control, open borders, etc. Sam of course sympathies with them as an entire episode focuses on the systematic racism he has faced in life and other black people as well. Zemo (villain from Civil War) is back to help them and the new Captain is possibly going to turn evil from the pressure of living up to Steve Rogers. Also some other minor characters have shown up as well to help along the way.

Basically if you like Marvel and can tune things out for the action it's fine. If you pay to close to some of the things you will be bothered.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Falcon & Winter Soldier (Disney +) - Marvel giving a preview of how woke they are going to go in the future. The action is good and the plot is good as well. It's the side stories they have to throw in that go woke (racism, open borders, etc). Anyway after the events of Endgame someone was able to recreate the super solider serum. A terrorist group gets it and creates a few of them. Sam and Bucky now head out to try to stop them, but the new Captain America is also on their tail. Villain not revealed yet and of course all of the terrorist are made to look like they are not that bad. Basically they want the world back that Thanos made. Population control, open borders, etc. Sam of course sympathies with them as an entire episode focuses on the systematic racism he has faced in life and other black people as well. Zemo (villain from Civil War) is back to help them and the new Captain is possibly going to turn evil from the pressure of living up to Steve Rogers. Also some other minor characters have shown up as well to help along the way.

Basically if you like Marvel and can tune things out for the action it's fine. If you pay to close to some of the things you will be bothered.

Sounds like the switch in order has hurt the show. This was originally supposed to be the first portion of phase 4, to reset the world post End Game. The Mrses and I are waiting until the last eposide is about to drop, to binge them all.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Flight Attendant (2020): This show starts out interesting with a slutty flight attendant waking up next to a dude that was brutally murdered. Then the rest of show is a bunch of bad decisions and worse people. Mrs and I watched and about half way through the Mrs said she hopes all the major characters died at the end because they are all just stupid and deserved to die. There is no one to truly root for in the show because none of the characters are really that interesting. The show throws a lot of different plot points out there and tries to see what sticks. The ending got to be predictable by the end of season. It's a well made show, just too many things thrown against the wall to feel interesting but it isn't.

ThreatMatrix matrix: no boobs, ass, bush... could have used some.

Deet Diagram: no homeless ass was shown.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

Hot take, it’s like DC made a marvel series..... hope it gets better

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Zero Zero Zero on Amazon Prime.

Right before the Kung Flu Amazon budgeted an expensive series to be their flagship show to draw viewers from Netflix. It’s about a $900 million dollar international drug deal. It’s shown from the point of view of the Mexican Narco Sellers, Italian Mafia purchasers, and the shippers from New Orleans.

Honestly one of the best shows I’ve watched in a long time. A lot of subtitles, because they don’t translate from Italian or Spanish, but it’s not that big of a deal.

Show doesn’t hold back on violence either. Watched the entire season (only 8 episodes, give or take) in a week.

Great production, awesome score, good story. Can’t recommend it enough.

ZeroZeroZero: Season 1

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021): The Mrs and I waited until they all dropped before starting and we finished last night.

A little background, knowing this series was coming out (and thanks to Amazon Prime having them available for free) I read and in some cases re-read the passing of the shield in the comics which was started after Captain America's death in the late 00s/early 10s. This helped put some context, especially the social issues into context with the source material. It also missed out on aspects which are important like Bucky being the first to carry the shield, which adds context to why Sam was more vocal on social issues.

The series is slow... like what the fuch slow. They try to spice it up with decent/good action sequences in just about every episode. The show was filmed as a 6 hour movie instead 6 individual shows, and it hurts the flow of the show.

They are trying to show the impacts of blips and then the events of End Game. During the blip borders were opened and the world treated everything as one nation. Now post End Game the countries are trying to re-establish the old borders, laws, and previous life pre-Infinity War. The problem is the series really clumsily handles the issues that they are trying to address. The writing was one of the worse pieces out of the MCU/MCUtv that I have attempted to watch (I haven't seen Inhumans, Runaways, or Agents of Shield), and yes overall Iron Fist (season 1) was more cohesive than this in it's entirety.

What was done well:
Relationship of Sam and Bucky though at times a little dumb overall well done
The Redemption character arcs of multiple characters
The acting was well especially out of the leads, they couldn't save the script
Sharon Carter
Easter Eggs especially using a X-Men reference now they have the rights
The true Baron Zemo
Isiah Bradley introduction and his grandson (potential for Young Avenger Patriot)

What was done poorly:
Plot and Story was choppy and tonal shifts bounced wildly at times
How John Walker aka Captain America/US Agent was handled, very heavy handed
Dialog is choppy at times
Flag Smashers
Isiah Bradley also very heavy handedly written

Wanda/Vision is by far a better show with a story that is more cohesive. Loki appears like it will be a fun wild ride through the multiverse. This should have been the first show released to set the stage for phase 4, but it was a heavy handed slog especially after Wanda/Vision.

Threat Matrix Matrix: no boobs, butt or ass.

Deet Diagram: no homeless ass was seen.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm about to finish up season 3 of Jessica Jones. I need to find a new show for the treadmill. I usually try to find shows that are either done (won't make anymore episodes/seasons) or something that has already had multiple seasons. I've been scrolling through Amazon and Netfilx to see if anything stands out, nothing yet.....

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Since I’ve been basically in solitary confinement lately on the road I have seen quite a few movies and shows. First the Oscar movies..

Nomadland - This was hands down one of the worst Oscar winners ever. Story was full of SJW type stuff, dragged on and on, and was almost a documentary instead of a drama. I guess docudrama would be an apt description. Even with my A in Understanding Film at UF (which makes me look hard for redeeming qualities in filmography, backgrounds, lighting and character development) I got nada. It’s really a depressing look at what can go wrong if you aren’t properly prepared for your golden years and the struggles that may await you, living in a van either down by the river or touring the west with other unfortunate or poor planning souls. On the upside, I learned about Wall Drug and there was some beautiful scenery.

Threat Matrix Matrix: Frances McDormand full frontal nudity at age 63

Deet Diagram: See above

The Father - Should have won the award for Best Picture long before Nomadland. Anthony Hopkins does what he does best and really knocks it out of the park in his portrayal of a man battling dementia and his family’s struggle with whether to keep him in his home with care of have him put into a retirement facility. Knowing many of us have recently or will soon face these issues it really hit home. Won’t get a lot of laughs but really well done by all involved..

Threat Matrix Matrix: No boobs, butt or ass

Deet Diagram: no homeless ass was seen

Will write up shows later..

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
thanks for the unflinching description... for what it's worth, decomposing bodies around a plane crash in the water is one of my guilty pleasures... sorry, not sorry.

club memberships still available

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone watch "Startup" on netflix? 3 seasons and is trending as a 'top 10' netflix show. I'm about to give this a shot as a treadmill show....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm about to finish up season 3 of Jessica Jones. I need to find a new show for the treadmill. I usually try to find shows that are either done (won't make anymore episodes/seasons) or something that has already had multiple seasons. I've been scrolling through Amazon and Netfilx to see if anything stands out, nothing yet.....

I stopped after season 2, is season 3 worth picking up?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I stopped after season 2, is season 3 worth picking up?

It was okay, good enough for a treadmill show. The blonde "sister" gets some 'powers' and kinda loses it and they both pursue a psycho serial killer.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just finished The Serpent on Netflix...great 8 episode mini series. A little confusing at first with the amount of jumping back and forth between times but very well done

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Jupiter's Legacy (Netflix) - Halfway through this and am entertained so far. Basically another super hero show knocking off the justice league. Goes between the 1920's and the origin of the original team and the present where all of their kids are starting to join. The stuff from the past is slightly better once they get off the going crazy story line as the present deals with all of their kids being whiny brats because of the shadow they grew up in. They are trying to make the druggie daughter sympathetic and she is just a horrible character. The other issues it is dealing with is how much society is changing and should their code change with it, ie bad guys now blow up schools rather than robbing a bank, should we change our code as well type stuff. Will save the rating for when I finish.

finally finished this and would give a 6/10. Would have liked to see where season 2 went but it got cancelled so don’t waste your time.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the first two seasons of Peaky Blinders this past week. Violent but great show about gangsters in England right after WWI.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just finished " the mare of eastown ". Really good show. Best I've watched in a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator