30 years: Behind the scenes of Barry Sanders' untouchable 1988 season

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Barry:
Key Stats: 15,269 rushing yards (third), 99 rushing touchdowns (fifth), 5.0 yards per carry, 2,921 receiving yards

Emmitt (aka the GOAT):
Key Stats: 18,355 rushing yards (first), 164 rushing touchdowns (first), 4.2 yards per carry, 3,224 receiving yards

And... only .8 yards per carry less than Barry.
And.. only 5 more seasons than a completely healthy Barry

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When Emmitt sat out awhile (contract dispute?) that great OL was repeatedly ineffective for the Cowboys who had just won the prior Superbowl. Emmitt returned, and first games back, they rolled over their opponents.

Emmitt's broad vision was good but his extra came from his brain-vision foreseeing looming events like an approaching LB & processing how best to react. Knowing how his team faltered without him, Emmitt played well with that separated shoulder, suffering through pain. Glad he's on our sideline & a Gator fan even in the announcer's booth when called.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Barry:
Key Stats: 15,269 rushing yards (third), 99 rushing touchdowns (fifth), 5.0 yards per carry, 2,921 receiving yards

Emmitt (aka the GOAT):
Key Stats: 18,355 rushing yards (first), 164 rushing touchdowns (first), 4.2 yards per carry, 3,224 receiving yards

And... only .8 yards per carry less than Barry.
Great job quoting stats. Poor job with painting the picture. Barry Sanders’ numbers were compiled over 10 years. Emmitt’s were compiled over 15. Not to mention the talent difference between the two teams - which was readily apparent every Thanksgiving. Barry would’ve needed only two more seasons to surpass Emmitt. He wisely retired to save his body or this wouldn’t even be a debate.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So - a couple of random thoughts.

1. NFL players don’t choose what teams they play for when they’re drafted. Nor do they choose the surrounding talent. Sucks for Barry, but don’t hold that against Emmitt.
2. It’s not like Barry was forbidden to leave the plantation either. Free agency could have been an option -? Could he have gone on to play for a better team?

With all the back and forth - I’d have to rethink things.

Given all the surrounding talent that Emmitt had gave him a decided advantage as well as playing five more years.
Dammit. I’m beginning to think that head to head, maybe Barry was a better (slightly?) RB than Emmitt.
The comments in this thread and this article just made me a believer (I think).

Comparing Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith | Optimum Sports Performance LLC

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
With all the back and forth - I’d have to rethink things.

I am a big stats guy too. But these analyses ignore a couple of things:

1. Emmitt was a positive yardage back. That is he rarely lost yards on a run. Some of Sander's greatest runs were when he got into trouble and made a great run to get back nearly to the line of scrimmage. Coaches seem to prefer the Emmitt type in this dimension. I can see why they do not want a guy who might disrupt a drive one play and be spectacular the next compared to a guy who consistently helps you move the chains.

2. When stats are close doing something for a longer period is superior performance. Since Sanders retired relatively early ala Jim Brown, people somewhat assume he could have kept performing at the same or at least a high level another five years. Emmitt did perform those 5 years and we saw how he did. Sanders might have had a huge drop off as happens in the NFL at times.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Barry Sanders’ highlight reel, and frequency of “Did he just do that?” runs is better than Emmitt’s. If that were the only measure, then it’s Sanders by a mile. Otherwise, put Brown, Payton, Sanders, Smith, and for a short duration Bo Jackson in a bag and pull one out, and you’d have a winner.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This debate has gone on for decades now. Sanders was not known for wearing down defenses and killing the clock, which is what Emmitt excelled out. In fact, Barry led the NFL in carries for losses every season. He was always looking for the big run and often ran backwards.

If I'm wanting to build a Super Bowl team, I go with Emmitt, not Sanders.

I would as well, he made moves that nobody else could, perhaps if he was on the Cowboys he would not have had that opportunity.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Total respect for the guy. Definition of once-in-a-generation player combined with class.

Found this hilarious though::

Said wide receiver Jarrod Green: "I caught him in the huddle one day in practice, and he had his eyes closed. I'm like, 'Were you taking a nap in the huddle?' And he was."

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
This debate has gone on for decades now. Sanders was not known for wearing down defenses and killing the clock, which is what Emmitt excelled out. In fact, Barry led the NFL in carries for losses every season. He was always looking for the big run and often ran backwards.

If I'm wanting to build a Super Bowl team, I go with Emmitt, not Sanders.
This. All day and everyday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.