40 Years Ago Today

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I was five and remember that series. Brooks Robinson was always a favorite of mine, but had no ties to either team. Was a Cardinals fan at the time.

Brooks was unreal. Even in that 69 series he had some great defensive plays. Saw him several times when the O’s would come to Municipal Stadium in WPB to play the Braves in spring training. (Caught a Boog Powell home run once).

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Correct... We watched it "live" in that we didn't know the outcome when it was aired on TV
Having heard on the radio I knew the result, but as in your case many did not. For those in your shoes in the DC area the suspense was ruined during the game by a commercial for the local news affiliate where they said who won. They caught a lot of hell for it. A lot, a lot.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Another really fun upset was when Holly Holm beat the shyt out of supposedly invincible Rhonda Rousey. For a girls fight I have to tell you the screaming in my house was deafening. We were just so used to Rousey overwhelming every opponent.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Another really fun upset was when Holly Holm beat the shyt out of supposedly invincible Rhonda Rousey. For a girls fight I have to tell you the screaming in my house was deafening. We were just so used to Rousey overwhelming every opponent.
Same with me and my boys.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
af4c03442a4523d986cdfa45d6784459.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Neal Broten was one of the few that had NHL careers and one of only two to win a Stanley Cup. He is the only 1980 player to score a game winning, let alone Stanley Cup series winning, goal in the NHL. Ken Morrow won 4 Stanley Cups with the Islanders. His first was in the same year he won the Gold medal. He went straight from the Olympics onto the Islanders roster in mid-season. I absolutely HATED the Islanders as a kid (I was a massive Flyers fan in the 70's and early 80's), but they were a GREAT team and Morrow was a GREAT defenseman. He hands down turned out to be the best player on the 1980 team and had to retire after 10 season due to injuries.

There are exactly ZERO players from the 1980 team in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

There are FOUR former Soviet players from the 1980 team in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

For me, this is why it is the greatest upset in sports history. Especially when you factor in that it is a team sport and a 60 minute game... there is no Hail Mary, there is no "one big punch," there was no "one guy waking up that morning and shocking everyone in a one-on-one sport. This was a quickly formed team of AMATEUR kids, losing 2-0 in the 2nd Period, that took down a team of professional men, that had played all day every day together for years, that were absolutely dominant and had just beaten Team USA 10-3 two weeks prior. The year before, in 1979 Challenge Cup, that same Soviet team played a 3 game series vs. an NHL All Star team that had TWENTY future Hall of Fame players on it... TWENTY. The Soviet team won 2 out of 3 games... the score of game 3 was 6-0... against TWENTY future Hall of Famers. For those of you who are hockey fans, scroll down to the NHL All Star roster (which was all Canadian and two Swedes... there just weren't many American players that were THAT good in the NHL yet) and look at that list of names... it's a stunning list of hockey titans.
1979 Challenge Cup (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

It truly was a miracle and the best part of the movie Miracle is probably the first few minutes of the movie lead in that try to recapture the state, and feeling, of our nation going into those Winter Olympics. It was an incredible win for the Team, and the nation.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Maybe not a huge upset, but Carolina Hurricanes had to bring in a Zamboni driver to play goalie the last 28 minutes of their game Saturday night. Carolina won 6-3 against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Both active goalies were put out of the game by injuries. 42 year old David Ayres stopped 8 of the last 10 Toronto shots on goal. Ironically, Ayres is the Zamboni driver for Toronto's AHL affiliate and also their practice goalie.
Emergency goalie David Ayres helps Hurricanes defeat Maple Leafs in NHL debut

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Appalachian State vs. Michigan, Sept. 1, 2007 at Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor
Final score: 34-32, Appalachian State

Maybe not on the level of the victory over the USSR in hockey but one of the biggest upsets ever in college football.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The U.S. Hockey win is the biggest upset in sports history

I was a senior in college and I will not lie and say that I was watching.
It was a Friday night and the prevailing thought was that we had no chance so I was where every good American college student was that night, in a bar with my girlfriend (now my wife) and several good friends celebrating being a 22 year old college student

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator