'84 Gator Football Highlights

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

Sometimes it's good to look back. I just happened to run across this video. I may have seen it before, not sure, but it's worth seeing again if I did. It features some great Gators and I'm especially proud of John L Williams, my hometown Palatka football great. I watched him play in high school, as a Gator and continued to follow his pro career. Now I deliver his mail once a week and sometimes see him getting some excercise walking the neighborhood.
Do you think this '84 team was the beginning of our taste for winning?

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was great @aka ! Lot of great memories and some outstanding football in all phases of the game. Thanks for sharing!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
That was a great year to be on campus.

The Throwin Mayoian.

One of the best OLs and RB units we've ever had.

Great defense.

Herbie Hancock sucked.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for posting that @aka. That really delivered. I know Galen Hall did a great job coaching that team and needs to be given credit. But I also think credit should be given to the man who put that team together --Charley Pell. He built it and I believe he left his mark on it.

After watching that film a question I have is did everyone in Florida have a southern accent in 1984?

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
IIRC the NYT poll named the Gators National Champs, we should put it on the wall.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great memories and so long ago in many ways beyond the obvious years.
A lot of really cool stuff in that video but also some embarrassing things like that absolutely awful alligator they used to drag around the field. I guess it seemed cool at the time.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1984 for the goal line stand then this play. Ricky running down the same sideline that illiterate UGA piece of whale **** Lindsay Scott ran down four years earlier. Never heard that drunk homer POS Munson’s call of this play either.

**** Belue, **** Lindsay, **** Dooley, **** Munson and royally **** in the ass every coward on their 1942 team who thought playing football was more important than defending the nation, and **** that piece of human debris Wally Butts too.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020

Sometimes it's good to look back. I just happened to run across this video. I may have seen it before, not sure, but it's worth seeing again if I did. It features some great Gators and I'm especially proud of John L Williams, my hometown Palatka football great. I watched him play in high school, as a Gator and continued to follow his pro career. Now I deliver his mail once a week and sometimes see him getting some excercise walking the neighborhood.

Beating and tying USC in the '82-'83 home and home with them was the spark, IMO. They never wanted anything to do with Wilber Marshall again after those two games.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
IIRC the NYT poll named the Gators National Champs, we should put it on the wall.

Not just NYT, so did the Billingsley Report, DeVold System, Dunkel System, Matthews Grid Ratings, Rothman (FACT), Sporting News, and Sagarin Ratings.

Alabama claims ALL of theirs, I've never understood why we don't at least claim ours from '84...
1697549469287.png

Last edited:

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
That was great @aka ! Lot of great memories and some outstanding football in all phases of the game. Thanks for sharing!
Remember this game Cover? I took the only aerial of the game in the 1st qtr then went to my FGTDC seat on
row 90 Sec 59 as part of the FGTDC club section. Glorious period in Gator History
1697550945270.jpeg
1697550979888.jpeg
I was able to present The Head Ball Coach with one of the 300 licensed prints that may be hanging in his restaurant . Tailgating in front of Psych building, smoking ribs, drinking bourbon...ahhhh the smell of victory...
Go Gators...
:jog:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember this game Cover? I took the only aerial of the game in the 1st qtr then went to my FGTDC seat on
row 90 Sec 59 as part of the FGTDC club section. Glorious period in Gator History
View attachment 63011
View attachment 63012
I was able to present The Head Ball Coach with one of the 300 licensed prints that may be hanging in his restaurant . Tailgating in front of Psych building, smoking ribs, drinking bourbon...ahhhh the smell of victory...
Go Gators...
:jog:
Historic! Despite the SOS era and the 3 NC’s that followed, this edition was when we all got to feel the program growing to where we wanted it to be and felt it belonged. I haven’t been to the HBC’s restaurant yet but plan to and will definitely be on the lookout for the aerial print. What we’d all give for that OL today!

fischerwood

Sep 5, 2014
Historic! Despite the SOS era and the 3 NC’s that followed, this edition was when we all got to feel the program growing to where we wanted it to be and felt it belonged. I haven’t been to the HBC’s restaurant yet but plan to and will definitely be on the lookout for the aerial print. What we’d all give for that OL today!
He did have it hanging in his office the following year when we hung another 50v+ on the leghumpers in Athens...great trip also!!!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Great memories and so long ago in many ways beyond the obvious years.
A lot of really cool stuff in that video but also some embarrassing things like that absolutely awful alligator they used to drag around the field. I guess it seemed cool at the time.
It was supposed to be a fully robotic alligator. ME department could never get it to work so they just hooked a rope to it and pulled.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Criser: If you take the fall for everything, including things you had no clue of, you can coach out the year along with your people.

Pell: Deal.

Criser: Until it isn't.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017

I think 1980 was the beginning of our taste for winning. Coming off an 0-10-1 1979 season we were selected as the worst college football team heading into the 1980 season by being the absolute last team in the Penthouse Magazine Bottom 20 Preseason Poll. We opened up with a freshman QB and beat a Top 20 Cal team 41-13. That season also featured such legendary moments as “Run Lindsey Run” and UM Coach Howard Shellenberger opting to kick a last second FG while leading 28-7 as an FU to our crowd that he claimed pelted his players with oranges. That was a lie. We had just been invited to The Tangerine Bowl so many of us brought tangerines to throw on the field after our victory. Some elected to commit premature etangerlation though after a late UM score. Point being, they weren’t oranges at all!

1980: Why the field goal?

Toward the end of the 1980 game, which had turned into a rout, Miami players began celebrating on the sideline. Florida fans responded by pelting them with oranges. Their behavior so incensed Miami coach Howard Schnellenberger, then in his second year, that he called a time out to tack on a 25-yard field goal on the game's final play in a 31–7 victory. "I did that because I wanted the press to come and ask me why I kicked the field goal," Schnellenberger said following the game.

"How are you supposed to like somebody when they're sitting in the stands and you're on the field and they're chucking oranges at you. The crowd was beyond anything that I had ever seen," Miami player Don Baileysaid.[2]

We finished that year by beating Maryland in said Tangerine Bowl and finished with an 8-4 record and a #19 national ranking. The next 3 years we also made Bowl games, leading to the 1984 season. Since I was a freshman in 1980, I was witness to it all and definitely think that was the beginning of the winning era of Florida Football.

Last edited:

fischerwood

Sep 5, 2014
I think 1980 was the beginning of our taste for winning. Coming off an 0-10-1 1979 season we were selected as the worst college football team heading into the 1980 season by being the absolute last team in the Penthouse Magazine Bottom 20 Preseason Poll. We opened up with a freshman QB and beat a Top 20 Cal team 41-13. That season also featured such legendary moments as “Run Lindsey Run” and UM Coach Howard Shellenberger opting to kick a last second FG while leading 28-7 as an FU to our crowd that he claimed pelted his players with oranges. That was a lie. We had just been invited to The Tangerine Bowl so many of us brought tangerines to throw on the field after our victory. Some elected to commit premature etangerlation though after a late UM score. Point being, they weren’t oranges at all!

1980: Why the field goal?

Toward the end of the 1980 game, which had turned into a rout, Miami players began celebrating on the sideline. Florida fans responded by pelting them with oranges. Their behavior so incensed Miami coach Howard Schnellenberger, then in his second year, that he called a time out to tack on a 25-yard field goal on the game's final play in a 31–7 victory. "I did that because I wanted the press to come and ask me why I kicked the field goal," Schnellenberger said following the game.

"How are you supposed to like somebody when they're sitting in the stands and you're on the field and they're chucking oranges at you. The crowd was beyond anything that I had ever seen," Miami player Don Baileysaid.[2]

We finished that year by beating Maryland in said Tangerine Bowl and finished with an 8-4 record and a #19 national ranking. The next 3 years we also made Bowl games, leading to the 1984 season. Since I was a freshman in 1980, I was witness to it all and definitely think that was the beginning of the winning era of Florida Football.
And so Chris Collinsworth memorable career continued!!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that game as part of the Sun Sports coverage crew. UF fans could be pretty rambunctious back then. :lol: They pulled a number on the Miami bench. Inside the Cane locker room, Schellenberger had smoke coming out of his ears, he was so pissed about the pelting. Back when rivalries were insanely bitter, and everything and anything could happen.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
1984 for the goal line stand then this play. Ricky running down the same sideline that illiterate UGA piece of whale **** Lindsay Scott ran down four years earlier. Never heard that drunk homer POS Munson’s call of this play either.

**** Belue, **** Lindsay, **** Dooley, **** Munson and royally **** in the ass every coward on their 1942 team who thought playing football was more important than defending the nation, and **** that piece of human debris Wally Butts too.

THIS

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Not just NYT, so did the Billingsley Report, DeVold System, Dunkel System, Matthews Grid Ratings, Rothman (FACT), Sporting News, and Sagarin Ratings.

Alabama claims ALL of theirs, I've never understood why we don't at least claim ours from '84...
View attachment 63007
Let's claim both 84 and 85 and watch the noles and canes heads explode

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From the June 4, 1985 South Florida SunSentinel. Vince Dooley being the two-faced a-hole he was known for being.

The University of Florida Monday launched a broad-based, long-range study that will determine whether the Gators withdraw from the Southeastern Conference.

The study comes in response to action taken last week by SEC presidents, who stripped Florida of its 1984 conference football championship.

In announcing the study, Florida President Marshall Criser said the school will continue to recognize the football championship — Florida’s first in 52 years of competition — despite the SEC’s decision to leave the title vacant.

Last week at the SEC’s annual spring meeting, the presidents voted 6-4 to strip the title from Florida because of the NCAA investigation that uncovered 57 rules violations — many involving players on the 1984 team — and left the Gators with a two-year probation.

The presidents’ decision evoked an angered response from Florida officials, particularly since the SEC’s executive committee ruled April 3 the Gators could keep the title.

Criser, a former trail lawyer, also said legal action against the SEC is possible because SEC bylaws do not empower the presidents to take such action.

“I have asked our administration — academic and athletic — to reassess the position that this University occupies in relationship to the SEC. Specifically, what are the positive and negative factors in continuing in the SEC,” Criser said.

Reaction from around the conference was swift.

SEC Commissioner Boyd McWhorter sidestepped a confrontation, saying he was sure the Gators would “do the right thing.”

Bob Woodruff, athletic director at Tennessee, the school that spearheaded the campaign to strip Florida of its football title, said: “I would hate to see any school drop out, but the matter is out of our hands.”

Georgia football coach Vince Dooley expressed astonishment over Criser’s study. “I would almost have to see that statement before I would believe it,” Dooley said. “But I also know of the disappointment that he must feel.”

Criser, who leaves today on a two-week vacation, set no specific timetable for the study.

Some of the questions he expects answered include: How will it affect sports other than football? What are the considerations in further developing Florida’s women’s program? What scheduling problems will be encountered as a non-conference member?

“We’re not threatening to leave the conference,” Criser said. “We are looking at the positive and negative factors of this conference to determine whether it is in our best interest to continue.”

Criser said if Florida pulls out of the conference, the Gators could either remain independent or could possibly join another conference, although he offered no alternatives.

A major factor in Florida’s eventual decision will be its football schedule. The Gators already are scheduled against SEC opponents through 1991, and many of those games already are under contract.

If Florida withdraws from the SEC, it will be the fourth team to do so. Sewanee withdrew in 1940, Georgia Tech in 1964 and Tulane in 1966.

In direct defiance to the SEC’s decision last week, Criser said “We will continue to proclaim the 1984 team as the SEC football champions. We regard that issue as closed, and respectfully decline to recognize any action of the SEC after April 3, 1985.”

The SEC has not asked for the championship trophy to be returned, but Criser said “I don’t know what we’ll do” when someone asks for it.

Florida football coach Galen Hall, in Dallas when he learned of Criser’s announcement, praised the decision.

“We’re pleased he refused to recognize unwarranted action to take it away,” Hall said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.