A 3* C-USA DB for the recruitniks

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Prepare to be surprised. I expect Hargreaves to go first, but Reed is moving up. It may have been TV, but the story said "Hargreaves slide...stops with Pittsburgh." Thought it was interesting that the "expert" thought Hargreaves was sliding. I, myself, thought his JR year was better than his SR. Also, I thought VH3 had the most dominating performance I had ever seen in a HS all-star game. Reed, on the other hand, got better every year and has distinctly better measureables. Don't expect to read much before the draft. By the way, what are the comparable measurements?
You're the one that just wrote the cusa 3* DB has distinctly better measurables than VHIII, so I assumed you knew, unless you're just talking out your azz. :lol:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, Reed, no doubt, is a great athlete - he won his state championship in 110-meter high hurdles and long jump.
Basically, the difference in measurables between VHIII and Reed are minimal (Reed can run a little faster and jump a little higher, and VHIII is stronger).

Height - Reed=5'11"; VHIII=5'10.5" (a push)
Weight - Reed=198; VHIII=204 (a push)
Broad Jump - Reed=11'; VHIII=10'10" (a push)
40 - Reed=4.38; VHIII=4.50
Vert Jump - Reed=41.5"; VHII=39"
Bench - Reed=11; VHIII=15
I couldn't find any other data for both to compare.

I wouldn't call Reed's measurables distinctly better. Better in some categories, not in others. I'd still take VHIII ahead of Reed based on his experience playing better competition over the course of his career, and I am not biased at all. :grin:
:chomp:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
VH3 is a top 15 pick. Reed is a late day 2 or early day 3 prospect and the reasons why are obvious. He's also nothing more than a nickel corner at the next level.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
VH3 is a top 15 pick. Reed is a late day 2 or early day 3 prospect and the reasons why are obvious. He's also nothing more than a nickel corner at the next level.
Yeah, at 4.38 and the top vertical he is not athletic enough to play CB.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
From what I see, the experts have VHIII going anywhere from 5th to 14th. The Steelers don't pick until 25th, so don't know what article you were referencing as VHIII won't be around for the Steelers to worry about, so they can go ahead and select your 3* cusa DB.
I still don't see Kalan Reed's name anywhere in any mock draft I've looked at - what I do see is Alexander, Apple, Fuller and Jackson all there on the Steeler Board, but no Reed.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...ck-nfl-draft-database-2016-tendencies-experts (dated April 5)

Now, is Reed underrated? That's what I'm reading, but I'm not seeing anyone who's looking at him ahead of these other guys I listed who've consistently played against tougher competition during their college careers (except for Jackson, he went to Houston, but he's got very similar measurables to Reed's). I'd be very surprised if Reed gets nabbed in front of any of these guys.
"...very similar measureables ..." Yeah, if you think 4.38 is similar to 4.5 and 39 is similar to 41.5

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, at 4.38 and the top vertical he is not athletic enough to play CB.

The reasons have nothing to do with speed or vertical. He's incredibly stiff in the hips, can't play press man, overruns plays all the time, and isn't overly aware on the field.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The reasons have nothing to do with speed or vertical. He's incredibly stiff in the hips, can't play press man, overruns plays all the time, and isn't overly aware on the field.
Can you actually see that? Or are you guessing? Or did you read that somewhere? The stiff hips probably explain the 19 pass break ups, the 4 picks, and the 2 pic sixes.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Okay, Reed, no doubt, is a great athlete - he won his state championship in 110-meter high hurdles and long jump.
Basically, the difference in measurables between VHIII and Reed are minimal (Reed can run a little faster and jump a little higher, and VHIII is stronger).

Height - Reed=5'11"; VHIII=5'10.5" (a push)
Weight - Reed=198; VHIII=204 (a push)
Broad Jump - Reed=11'; VHIII=10'10" (a push)
40 - Reed=4.38; VHIII=4.50
Vert Jump - Reed=41.5"; VHII=39"
Bench - Reed=11; VHIII=15
I couldn't find any other data for both to compare.

I wouldn't call Reed's measurables distinctly better. Better in some categories, not in others. I'd still take VHIII ahead of Reed based on his experience playing better competition over the course of his career, and I am not biased at all. :grin:
:chomp:
Hargreaves surely should go ahead of Reed by a good bit. But, I keep thinking VH3 tailed off last year. Which year did you think was VH3's best?

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"...very similar measureables ..." Yeah, if you think 4.38 is similar to 4.5 and 39 is similar to 41.5
Did you actually read my post? I did ALL the research for you, and even admitted Reed is faster (by posting that same info), and you still come back with a snide comment.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hargreaves surely should go ahead of Reed by a good bit. But, I keep thinking VH3 tailed off last year. Which year did you think was VH3's best?
:what:
Good lord, what's it gonna be Ancient? Do you like Reed or not? I'm done discussing this with you. Let's talk some more after the draft.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Bart, If you would just read your own post you would see that the name you mention before the "very similar" comment was Jackson, NOT Hargreaves. I admit I am not inclined to guess antecedents for pronouns that are ill posed. Please don't blame me if you write carelessly. The comment you label "snide" was snide, and I apologize. I didn't realize how seriously you were taking this discussion. Of course, in the draft Hargreaves as a 3 time all sec CB will go well ahead of Reed. Reed was not even invited to the combine. I was just messing around with people who get too enamored with stars and with the power conferences.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dammit Ancient, quit messin' around! :lol:
Oh, and read your snide post again - you referenced VHllls stats not Jackson's, thus why I thought you were still talking about VHIII. Jackson's 40 time was 4.38, very similar to Reed's. My writing was perfectly clear. Yours? Not so much.

Last edited:

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Reed was not even invited to the combine. I was just messing around with people who get too enamored with stars and with the power conferences.

I'm surprised he wasn't invited to the combine. He's more talented than some of the guys who were at the combine. I was a little harsh. I think he has promise as a FS at the next level. And another 7-8lbs to his frame. With that speed and his toughness? He has a chance to be something.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I'm surprised he wasn't invited to the combine. He's more talented than some of the guys who were at the combine. I was a little harsh. I think he has promise as a FS at the next level. And another 7-8lbs to his frame. With that speed and his toughness? He has a chance to be something.
On TV with his shirt off, he looks muscled up as he is. If he keeps improving he could have a pro career.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever you do, don't say something bad about a state. Ancient will go off the deep end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.