A-Roid calls it quits

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
He's put up good numbers throughout his career but come post season, his numbers were terrible; other than the 2009 championship.

So, he's the payton manning of baseball: king of the regular season.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Barry Bonds has been a joy to behold as their hitting coach. Well, except for Dee Gordon somehow testing positive for PEDs earlier this year. :facepalm:

Then there's Stanton month long slump. Wonder what changed Stanton's mindset to make that happen?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Barry Bonds has superior numbers and he can't sniff the Hall.
What's sad about Bonds and A-Rod is they were first ballot HOFers before they ever took the PEDs. As was Palmeiro. Dumb decisions on their part.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I could care less if they all juiced non-stop. Who didn't think the home run chase between McGuire and Sosa was one of the one of basball's best times in decades? I'd be willing to bet my life savings most of the NFL is juiced.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing how many of these mid30 and 40 year olds cant play anymore after their roids are taken away.
Taking steroids out of baseball ruined the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's sad about Bonds and A-Rod is they were first ballot HOFers before they ever took the PEDs. As was Palmeiro. Dumb decisions on their part.
I don't think there was much time BEFORE Aroids started doing Roids. He added muscle at a very young age. Baseball players play 162 games. It's pretty much impossible for them to look like a Bammer strong safety without doing roids.

I don't agree about Palmeiro being an HOFer. I do agree about Bonds but you can hardly tell it's the same person before and after roids.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The Yankees still have to honor his contract, they just don't have to look at him anymore.

He should never be allowed in the HOF but I am speaking as if the game has any integrity. The reality is he will be a first ballot inductee

He has a zero chance of making it first ballot. None. I'll mortgage the house, cash in the 401k...sell a kidney and take that bet.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Players took "greenies" (read: amphetamines) for decades to up their performance and no one gave a hoot. I really couldn't give a rat's ass if a guy wants to give himself a bit of a competitive edge and risk his health at the same time. Regardless what you do for your body, you still have to be damn talented to be able to jack a 90-mph fastball out of the park or bat .300 consistently.

I agree with MJM. The late '90s 'roid rage age was one of the most glorious times for MLB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, you still have talent but there is no doubt that roids clearly affected the game. Please show me another time in history when 40 year olds were battling trying to be the first to hit 80 HRs. Hell even 100 or 120 wasnt out of the quest they hadnt walked Bonds, McGuire and Sosa so much.

Yeah I know that football obviously, LBs are bigger than DLs used to be, but there isnt a record in football for how many times a DL or OL benchpress 250 lbs (and get points for it) or some other way that brute strength is measured the way the HR is in baseball.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, you still have talent but there is no doubt that roids clearly affected the game. Please show me another time in history when 40 year olds were battling trying to be the first to hit 80 HRs. Hell even 100 or 120 wasnt out of the quest they hadnt walked Bonds, McGuire and Sosa so much.

Yeah I know that football obviously, LBs are bigger than DLs used to be, but there isnt a record in football for how many times a DL or OL benchpress 250 lbs (and get points for it) or some other way that brute strength is measured the way the HR is in baseball.

Pitchers didn't have access to 'roids, too? I must've misremembered.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Again, it's not the same, but yeah clearly roided up pitchers were pitching well into their 40s also and still throwing 98 mph heaters. The only pre-roids pitcher who did that was Nolan Ryan and I have my doubts about him and his offseason "fitness program." When pitchers took roids, they didn't start throwing the ball 200 mph. Their Ks didn't double.

However, Bonds could always hit a 98 mph heater, at least well enough to be a career .300 hitter, which is to say, really, really well. The difference was before the roids he hit 25-30 of them over the fence and after roids he hit 50-80 and could have hit more if he didn't get walked 2-4 times a game. His output did double thanks to the affects of swinging the bat substantially faster.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who didn't think the home run chase between McGuire and Sosa was one of the one of basball's best times in decades?
I didn't. All I saw was two cheaters. However, I get it. They were two cheaters in the only baseball towns that matter to ESPN, the big market teams NY, Boston, LA, StL, and Chi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator