ACC flexing its bowl muscle?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Who wouldn't want Bobby Stoops to come to Gainesville and fill out the whole coaching staff with his family. He wants to emulate what Bobby Bowden did in tallycrappy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I would have been happy with the Stoops hire. I think he needs a change of scenery.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
MJMGator;n139501 said:
I would have been happy with the Stoops hire. I think he needs a change of scenery.

I don't think scenery has much of anything to do with poor judgement and eroded priorities.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n139501 said:

Away-Games are a change of scenery.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n139101 said:
You guys are hilarious. You would have creamed your jeans if we had landed Bob Stoops. Don't embarrass yourselves further by denying it.

I'm not one of the people that thinks that Bob Stoops suddenly can no longer coach. It was a down year.

Ox - in another thread, you railed about coaching "retreads". I think that's the word you used about Lovie Dovie in Tampa in the thread about who the Bucs should draft with the first pick. How is your support of Stoops any different? Both are long in the tooth and have enjoyed success, albeit some time ago.

For the record, I was not on board with the Lovie hire in TB, and was not fired up about the thought of Stoops coming here - though both obviously are competent coaches. I saw Stoops as exactly that - a tired retread that might benefit from a year in the broadcast booth before returning to the sidelines (when he eventually leaves OU).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n139593 said:
Ox - in another thread, you railed about coaching "retreads". I think that's the word you used about Lovie Dovie in Tampa in the thread about who the Bucs should draft with the first pick. How is your support of Stoops any different? Both are long in the tooth and have enjoyed success, albeit some time ago.

For the record, I was not on board with the Lovie hire in TB, and was not fired up about the thought of Stoops coming here - though both obviously are competent coaches. I saw Stoops as exactly that - a tired retread that might benefit from a year in the broadcast booth before returning to the sidelines (when he eventually leaves OU).
I don't know how you could possibly compare the two. First off, I was primarily talking about the NFL. When I say "retread", I'm talking about coaches that have already failed somewhere getting hired yet again, often multiple times. For some reason, teams think that even though a coach was an utter failure for someone else, they'll be great for them. It almost never works out. For example, I just heard to today that the Raiders are going to interview Eric Mangini, a man with a losing record with TWO teams and was fired both times. Why in God's name would you want to interview someone like that? It's classic NFL nonsense.

Stoops has been a long-term success at one school. He hasn't been fired. Before the down year he just had (in which he went 8-5, not exactly a total disaster), he won 10 games a year, year in, year out. The reason he sounded like an attractive option is because the UF football program is teetering on the edge. A man with such long-term respect and credibility would have been an instant boost to the program. There would have really been no risk in it. Instead, we went with another huge gamble. What happens if Mac is a miserable failure? We'll be looking up at Tennessee for years.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n139666 said:
Back on topic Ox! :nono: This is a thread about how bad the acc is not about how bad stoops is.:wink:
Even with the Climpson beatdown of OU they're still 3-4. The UGA vs Louisville game today should be interesting.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
oxrageous;n139655 said:
I don't know how you could possibly compare the two. First off, I was primarily talking about the NFL. When I say "retread", I'm talking about coaches that have already failed somewhere getting hired yet again, often multiple times. For some reason, teams think that even though a coach was an utter failure for someone else, they'll be great for them. It almost never works out. For example, I just heard to today that the Raiders are going to interview Eric Mangini, a man with a losing record with TWO teams and was fired both times. Why in God's name would you want to interview someone like that? It's classic NFL nonsense.
This is something that has always amused me about the NFL, it seems like what you do somewhere else doesn't really ever seem to matter, after a few seasons every front office seems to get collective amnesia and the losers get hired to do it all over again. It really is entertaining.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n139695 said:
This is something that has always amused me about the NFL, it seems like what you do somewhere else doesn't really ever seem to matter, after a few seasons every front office seems to get collective amnesia and the losers get hired to do it all over again. It really is entertaining.

Wade Phillips

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UGA wins the first head to head SEC-ACC matchup. Looking for Miss State to do the same tomorrow night vs GT.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n139695 said:

There was a book that explained this process, entitled "Upward Failure".

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n139655 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath View Post

Stoops has been a long-term success at one school. He hasn't been fired. Before the down year he just had (in which he went 8-5, not exactly a total disaster), he won 10 games a year, year in, year out. The reason he sounded like an attractive option is because the UF football program is teetering on the edge. A man with such long-term respect and credibility would have been an instant boost to the program. There would have really been no risk in it. Instead, we went with another huge gamble. What happens if Mac is a miserable failure? We'll be looking up at Tennessee for years.

My point was that neither Stoops nor Lovie are particularly inspired, creative, or "outside the box" candidates for us or the Bucs respectively and that both would be candidates for mostly the same reasons - experience, mature, steady hands, successful track records, etc...

And I agree with your points about the NFL - made even more prescient by reports of Rex Ryan interviewing for openings in the NFL literally 1 day after being fired.

And I mostly agree with your points about Mac's hiring here - though given our inherent advantages I doubt we'd be looking up at Tennessee for very long after a good hire - if at all.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Gatorphan;n137728 said:
With six games (2 today and 4 tomorrow), they have a chance to make an early statement.

UNC vs Rutgers
NCSU vs UCF
VT vs Cinn
Duke vs ASU
UM vs USCe
BC vs Penn St

I might of pulled for some of the teams if weren't for all the ACC chest pumping at end of the season. Now I'm hoping they go 0 for 12 this holiday. Including....

Clemson vs OU
UL vs UGA
Maryland vs Stanford
GT vs MSU
FSU vs Oregon

They will be lucky to finish .500. I say they end up 4-8.

Edit - I forgot Pitt vs Houston.

What Dabo and Clemson did to overrated Stoops and the Sooners was eye opening. Embarrassing to Sooner Nation. He's not exactly big game Bob is he? That blowout was a boost to the ACC for sure over the Big 12. And didn't the ACC go 4 - 0 versus the SEC on rivalry day? Hmmm. Maybe they are better than we think.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Scott512;n140217 said:
And didn't the ACC go 4 - 0 versus the SEC on rivalry day? Hmmm. Maybe they are better than we think.

Or maybe they played the bottom of the SEC barrel and broke all the smoking mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator