Recruiting According to Rivals.com

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Talking about "in-state recruiting, I believe about 75% of Bama players come from the state of Alabama.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is that when a recruit is offered he is told how many we intend to sign at his position. If all of the slots are filled while he is trying to make up his mind then that's on him.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Schools offer a lot of athletes each year. The difference is usually whether they are actually commitable offers, offers loaded with contingencies. Like IF you stay in school and graduate with certain credits, and IF you stay out of trouble, and IF you don't suffer any serious injury during your high school career, and IF we don't sign any players at your position that we deem better than you (which unfortunately may happen on National signing day) then your offer becomes commitable and we allow you to commit to us and we will accept your commitment. That is of course unless you are truly an elite football player, in which case you find yourself getting 1000 dollar handshakes on a regular basis.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Muschamp under-recruited? I refuse to believe such nonsense. Another year he'd have turned it around. :rolleyes3:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
2016 should be a huge class. Don't they have enough scholarship room to take 30+ students with many being EE's? I think we'll have a top 10 class just based on quantity alone. Throw in the 4 and 5 stars we'll likely get from within the state and this class could easily be in the top 5, which will be needed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n195881 said:
How do you offer, in one year, 60+ when you can only accept 25?
There is a huge difference between an "offer" and a "commitable offer". Most offers are contingent on certain things, usually including camping, meeting with coaches etc.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n196386 said:
There is a huge difference between an "offer" and a "commitable offer". Most offers are contingent on certain things, usually including camping, meeting with coaches etc.

You forgot one of the most important.....grades. They actually seem to matter at UF versus other in state schools....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n196161 said:
Schools offer a lot of athletes each year. The difference is usually whether they are actually commitable offers, offers loaded with contingencies. Like IF you stay in school and graduate with certain credits, and IF you stay out of trouble, and IF you don't suffer any serious injury during your high school career, and IF we don't sign any players at your position that we deem better than you (which unfortunately may happen on National signing day)

Exactly. Especially the last which unfortunately hasn't been the case much in the last 7 years or so.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
In 2013 UF only offered 56 players from the state, 2014 UF offered 60. In the 16 class UF has already offered 64 from the state so I think it's safe to say Mac is focusing on recruiting the state.

And of the 56 and 60, I'd guess about 40 of them were defensive players both years.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Not a great difference with UF's overall applications/admissions for overall student body.

Per wickepedia, current class had 27K applicants. 12K were accepted and just over 6K enrolled.

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
It's not about the offers, it's about closing. Don't hand me that academic nonsense, UF takes the same players as everyone else, with the exception of schools like Stanford. If that wasn't true, then UF would have never accepted D'anfernee McGriff who was jettisoned by that pillar of amia, Auburn, because they didn't think he would qualify, and didn't want to waste a scholarship when they had other players wanting to come on board. UF could take the risk because they had scholarships to spare because they couldn't get enough players to say yes. Football players are not accepted because of their academic ability, it's their physical ability that gets them accepted when they would have been turned down based on their transcript. These are not student-athletes, many of them are just the opposite. Anyway, by the recruiting services rankings, the problem hasn't been recruiting. Last years class was considered a down year for UF, and it still ranked somewhere between twenty and thirty on all the lists. On paper, UF has smoked the winners of the East the past two years, Missouri, in the recruiting rankings. But Missouri has smoked UF the past two years on the field, and real games are what matters, not recruiting offers.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The Original DC;n196438 said:
And of the 56 and 60, I'd guess about 40 of them were defensive players both years.
About 2/3 of the offers were for the defensive side of the ball. Lol!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Marianna said:
No link, just research i done myself. It's not that hard to count who received a offer from UF in the state and who didn't.

Found a means of determining this via ESPN recruiting pages. You can see in a given year who all a school made offers to, regardless of where they committed. Gators, 2016 list for reference.

Jand3k;n195881 said:
How do you offer, in one year, 60+ when you can only accept 25?

From the ESPN data, we've offered around 125 so far for 2016. We offered over 200 in 2015, only signed 21. It's a number game, and a 'no thank you' from a lot of kids that go elsewhere.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, blew me away. I knew we offered more than available, just like other schools, but I had not idea it was that many. I didn't bother to look at what schools like FSU or ALA offered.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
TLB;n197077 said:
Yeah, blew me away. I knew we offered more than available, just like other schools, but I had not idea it was that many. I didn't bother to look at what schools like FSU or ALA offered.
They both get pretty much whoever they want so I doubt they had to offer a 100+ kids.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The reality, of course: an offer that is not committable is not an true offer. It's a mere expression of interest by the school in the recruit.
Kids with supposed verbal offers are rejected all the time when they attempt to commit. Fans rarely hear about it since schools are prohibited by NCAA rule from speaking about recruits to the media, recruits are the only source of this sort of news. On the record, at least. And most recruits, out of fear of embarrassment, won't publicly admit that they've been rejected by a school to which they hold a verbal offer.

A bunch more about this here:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...13-commitments

And here, although this is Trailerbama:

Early next month will be a particularly big evaluation period for quarterback prospects, whose offers are not committable until Saban sees them work in person in Tuscaloosa. "It is our philosophy at certain positions that we really like to learn a lot about players and one of the best ways to learn about a player is when they come and visit you, because you're limited in terms of the contact you can have with them off-campus," Saban said. "To get some of them to come here in the summer I think is a really big tool in evaluation as well as an opportunity to get to know guys, to see if they have the right character and attitude to fit in your program."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...cruiting-nick-saban-admits-offers-committable

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.