Alcohol sales will likely be a big topic at SEC meetings in Destin

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(from coaching search):

Alcohol sales will likely be a big topic at SEC meetings in Destin.
LSU is working to make a beer garden at Tiger Stadium, but Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long is still against general seating alcohol sales for his school.

“It’s around 34, 35 universities of the 129 that sell alcohol in the regular seating bowl. It is changing in society,” he said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. “For the University of Arkansas, I‘m comfortable with the way the rule is today, that we can sell it in our clubs and suites, but we’re not selling it out in the general seating. That’s my view. I’m sure there’s other people disagreeing with that. I know there’s at least one institution in the SEC that wants to sell it in the seating bowl.

“We’ve had a lot of changeover in the AD’s in the conference, and presidents and chancellors. It’s ultimately a presidents and chancellors decision, with recommendation from the AD’s. I’m not sure where it will fall in these meetings. The pressure will continue to build for us to sell beer, wine, alcohol in the general seating. I just personally don’t want to see us go there at Arkansas at this point in time.”

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Gag. It may help vending revenues but it won't help attendance or program support.

I've been to many Bucs games in nice sections (between the 40s and 30-40 rows up) and every time there have been drunken idiots trying their best to ruin it for everyone else. I won't accept free tickets anymore. My brother had USF season tickets for a couple of years but quit because of the same nonsense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gag. It may help vending revenues but it won't help attendance or program support.

I've been to many Bucs games in nice sections (between the 40s and 30-40 rows up) and every time there have been drunken idiots trying their best to ruin it for everyone else. I won't accept free tickets anymore. My brother had USF season tickets for a couple of years but quit because of the same nonsense.

If the team is doing good the games get the attendance regardless of beer sales. I know what you are saying about some idiots however.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Other topics of discussion:

http://editorsdesk.blogs.gatorsports.com/11439/sec-spring-meetings-3-topics-likely-impact-gators/

From the Sports Desk
SEC Spring meetings: 3 topics likely to impact the Gators

The SEC spring meetings commence Tuesday in Destin, Florida, giving the university presidents, athletics directors, basketball and football coaches from the 14 schools an opportunity to discuss policies for the 2017-18 season.

This year more than any other, however, Gators fans should pay close attention to the four-day conference. These three potential topics for discussion could affect Florida’s roster and Ben Hill Griffin Stadium next season.

1. The graduate transfer policy

The Gators are reportedly at the top of the list to land graduate transfer QB Malik Zaire, but the SEC’s current legislation prohibits him from coming to Florida. Per SEC rules, the Gators are barred from taking a graduate transfer for three years after OL Mason Halter and LB Anthony Harrell didn’t meet the league’s academic standards. The proposed change would immediately reduce the penalty from three seasons to one, making way for Zaire’s arrival. If he’s even decided on Florida, that is.

Contrary to reports Malik Zaire has not made a decision.

— Andrew Spivey (@AndrewSpiveyGC) May 28, 2017

2. Support staff sizes

The NCAA approved legislation to allow for the addition of a 10th on-the-field assistant coach. Teams can begin adding another assistant in Jan. 2018, and UF coach Jim McElwain has implied the program has candidates lined up. But don’t start searching for names just yet. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has indicated more discussions will take place in Destin regarding the appropriate staff sizes.

3. Alcohol sales at games

Last spring, the SEC presidents discussed expanding the sale of alcohol at sporting events. Ultimately, no conclusion was reached, but the issue isn’t going away anytime soon. The University of Florida currently sells beer and wine to “around 5,000 fans” at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, but UF spokesman Steve McClain said the program only brings in approximately $145,000 annually from alcohol sales. However, it’s unlikely a decision on alcohol sales will come to a vote this year.

The NCAA implemented rules in 2016 allowing for the sale of beer and wine at College World Series games. Considering the NCAA said the basis for the decision was a positive response from the 34 programs that currently sell beer at football games, the expansion of alcohol sales seems like an inevitability.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When I was an undergrad :eek:ldman: you could leave at halftime and come back into the stadium. Of course we smuggled booze in anyway but at halftime you could run to the Porpoise for halftime kamikaze shots (pre-mixed, not great) or to Joe's Deli for giant beers. If you were underage without an ID or just too broke, you could get booze at a frat house, in a nearby dorm, or from your car.

For me, this was the Spurrier era so most of those games were well in hand by halftime anyway. We'd usually be back a couple of minutes after the second half kickoff (you'd know from the roar of the crowd if we started off the second half with one of those 4 play, 97 second touchdown drives we were known for back then).

I don't think I ever saw a halftime show until after Florida adopted the SEC rule barring re-entry. "So THIS is what the band does at halftime."

Even after the rule change, we tried to get around it by getting an extra ticket to some of the games. I was one of the chairmen of the Law School's ticket block (like 700 seats, actually two blocks). Typically had leftovers so you could use a fresh ticket to get back in.

After I graduated it was strictly bourbon in baggies (thank God for the cargo shorts craze) until I moved up in the world and started getting invites to Gator Dens (where the owners can bring whatever they want). Still prefer to watch big games from the stands. Being in a box is too much like watching the game on TV.

I have smuggled booze into every stadium I've ever seen a College game in.

Now I think I'm past that stage of my life.

Maybe.

And anyway, cargo shorts are out of style. Our games are too hot for cowboy boots (once smuggled most of a handle of Captain Morgan into Growl in cowboy boots) or wind breakers.

Maybe an overpriced, perfectly legal, ice cold beer (last call at "We Are The Boys") is not a bad idea.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of free liquour is the only way Id come watch more of Butters ongoing shyt show.

"and UF coach Jim McElwain has implied the program has candidates lined up."

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Does ANYONE really believe this? We take fvkking months and go thru recruiting season two coaches short, but now ole McElsloth is ready? Right.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Back in the day when we had a small number of seats in the end zone the area under there was littered with hard liquor bottles after every home game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize the 10th assistant rule had passed. FAU is about to be poached.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's very simple to slip a small bottle of liquor into your back pocket opposite from your wallet. Been doing this for years at numerous venues for college games, and haven't once had an issue. Having the wife/girlfriend put it in her purse is definitely not the way to go.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Bad idea. Remember the student beaten to death after the world's largest outdoor cocktail party?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's very simple to slip a small bottle of liquor into your back pocket opposite from your wallet. Been doing this for years at numerous venues for college games, and haven't once had an issue. Having the wife/girlfriend put it in her purse is definitely not the way to go.

You carry a wallet in your BACK pocket?

The 1980's called, they want their wallet back!!

Is it Velcro? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.