All-Time Favorite Gator DE

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alex Brown.

Also, a shoutout to Bobby McCray. I think he got either a PAT or FG block against Auburn in the '02 OT game

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kearse didn't play DE until the NFL. He was the SAM backer on the '96 championship team.
He was ON the 96 Championship team but he didn't play much. Bates, Dwayne Thomas, and Kelsey usually started. Peterson backed up at both outside positions and Rutledge played middle. Peterson played more. By the end of the year, Peterson was starting some and Rutledge started a game or two. Kearse only played in blowouts or on STs mostly. Kearse was dating a law student then.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida/1996-roster.html

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone remembers Brown for the five-sack effort against Tennessee on national TV, but he wasn't all that consistent. I'd take Jermaine Cunningham over him for just that reason, consistency. Moss and Harvey were probably the best 1-2 the university had and Kevin Carter was dominant on those early '90s teams. Didn't see Youngblood but hard not to acknowledge how great a career he had.

Did Richardson play more DE or backer? I honestly don't remember.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not a DE but Wilbur has to be one of my all time favorites. What he personally did to Sean Salisbury and USCw was astounding. I will never forget what I personally saw him destroy the USC offense. Salisbury probably still has nightmares to this day. Lots of great DE's to list... Brown and Kearse would be next.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone remembers Brown for the five-sack effort against Tennessee on national TV, but he wasn't all that consistent. I'd take Jermaine Cunningham over him for just that reason, consistency. Moss and Harvey were probably the best 1-2 the university had and Kevin Carter was dominant on those early '90s teams. Didn't see Youngblood but hard not to acknowledge how great a career he had.

Did Richardson play more DE or backer? I honestly don't remember.

Huey was a LB where he shined until his senior season (Spurrier's first year as HBC, 1990) where he moved to DE and was a little disappointing from that spot.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He was ON the 96 Championship team but he didn't play much. Bates, Dwayne Thomas, and Kelsey usually started. Peterson backed up at both outside positions and Rutledge played middle. Peterson played more. By the end of the year, Peterson was starting some and Rutledge started a game or two. Kearse only played in blowouts or on STs mostly.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida/1996-roster.html

Pretty sure the starters were Rutledge, Bates, and Peterson; and the back-ups were Kelsey, Thomas, and Kearse.

Alex.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Always liked Brad Culpepper. Mcgrew was a beast too, and good to see him back at UF on staff now.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Always liked Brad Culpepper. Mcgrew was a beast too, and good to see him back at UF on staff now.

Culpepper was an undersized lineman but one hell of a lineman. Urban once looked at him and told him he didn't look like a lineman and Culpepper replies something like; "I may not look like much but I can take you on right now!" or something close to what he said to Urbs.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Lex Smith. You have to admire a QB that moves to DE. He can be Franks inspiration when the time comes to switch positions. :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think by the end of his career, Fowler was as good as anyone who's ever played here.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Moss would be my pick , and I agree with 78 on him and Harvey being the best combo we've had here. Early in his career JM had some kind of medical issue. I think it was a hip, but can't remember for certain. The guy just couldn't put on any weight, and it looked like his career was going to end before he ever got a chance to showcase his talent. Thankfully the issue was corrected , and the DL of Moss, M Thomas, Ray Mc, and Harvey was probably the best unit we've had. Unfortunately it didn't last much longer than half a season due to Marcus Thomas being a DA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator