All-Time Favorite Gator DE

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'd take Jermaine Cunningham over him for just that reason, consistency.
This. He was probably one of the most consistent players I've seen come through here, and he always made a huge play when the money was on the line. Go back and watch how many 4th quarter sacks and fumbles he caused in his time here....I can't name a favorite though because there are just too damned many good ones to play at UF over the years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Most dominating performances I remember from DE's was Mark Campbell and Kevin Carter at Tennessee in 1994. It seemed like Tennessee went through 6 qbs in that game, our DE were there before the runningbacks got the ball or before the qb had time to drop back.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tough question. Alex Brown's game against UT was really fun to watch, and since I hate UT, he's up there as one of my favorites. But I can't argue with the other names that have been mentioned like Moss, Fowler, etc.

Dunlap definitely is not one of my favorites.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Jack Youngblood was before my time, or I probably would pick him. Kevin Carter is my choice for favorite.

Last edited:

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
I wanted Dunlap to be my favorite because I remember how excited I was when he signed. Crazy athleticism. Just never could flip the switch when he was at UF. He's seemed to figure it out in the NFL though and always reps the Gators well.

I would probably have to go with Fowler (like others, I never saw Youngblood play. Was only 6 when I watched Alex Brown vs. UT). He was an insane talent and had fun playing the game. Just wish he could have played on better teams when he was here.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Youngblood was great, as was Kevin Carter. Wilber Marshall is my all time favorite. This game was a Wilber Marshall highlight video in and of itself. It has been posted before, but here it is again. If you look close, you can see me.

And yes.....I'm aware that he was a LB....

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
0f8b8b2a88284bea67c07045de92db63.jpg

Had this guy as a guest speaker at a meeting I helped plan back in 2008. Heard he was pretty good.

Who is that beautiful woman?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Youngblood was great, as was Kevin Carter. Wilber Marshall is my all time favorite. This game was a Wilber Marshall highlight video in and of itself. It has been posted before, but here it is again. If you look close, you can see me.

Things didn't end well for Charlie - but man... look at him sprint off the field around 19:40.
What a happy guy and what a crazy decade for Florida football - SEC Champions for a couple of weeks.
And then the sanctions... downhill from there until 1990.

It's always darkest before the dawn I guess.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016

I totally forgot Sean Salisbury "Steak" was the QB.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
IIRC, Madden wrote that he wasn't interested in drafting Youngblood because Jack was a big weightlifter. This wasn't so common in the NFL of that era. Madden thought of those guys as "muscle beach", all show. He admitted he could not possibly have been more wrong. With the Rams playing in the same division as the Raiders, Madden had to coach against Youngblood twice every year. He lists Youngblood as among the best he's ever seen, and as THE toughest he's ever seen.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IIRC, Madden wrote that he wasn't interested in drafting Youngblood because Jack was a big weightlifter. This wasn't so common in the NFL of that era. Madden thought of those guys as "muscle beach"
WOW

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
IIRC, Madden wrote that he wasn't interested in drafting Youngblood because Jack was a big weightlifter. This wasn't so common in the NFL of that era. Madden thought of those guys as "muscle beach", all show. He admitted he could not possibly have been more wrong. With the Rams playing in the same division as the Raiders, Madden had to coach against Youngblood twice every year. He lists Youngblood as among the best he's ever seen, and as THE toughest he's ever seen.

Alex.

Madden did become a huge fan of Youngblood but when did the AFL/AFC Raiders ever play in the same division as the NFL/NFC Rams?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

That was a fun watch. Though I mentioned Preston Kendrick to mention a lesser know guy, I guess my favorites would be Carter, then Marshall. I did not see Youngblood so I can not really know where to put him.

BTW, an OLB particularly a weak side OLB in an odd front defense is really a DE, so Marshall is a DE in my book.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Madden did become a huge fan of Youngblood but when did the AFL/AFC Raiders ever play in the same division as the NFL/NFC Rams?

That's why I started with "IIRC", I'm remembering something Madden wrote in his book "One Knee Equals Two Feet and Everything Else You Need To Know About Football". That book came out in the mid 80's (I must have read it around 1987, nearly 30 years ago). He had a section devoted to the best players he ever saw and that's where I read the story. I'm 100% sure about the muscle beach part. He also wrote about Jack playing with the broken leg. That's the first time I heard about it because I was too young in '79 to really be aware of the situation when it actually happened. I must be wrong about the 2x a season part, good catch. I must have been thinking of something he said about a Chief or Bronco and mentally attached it to the Youngblood story? He really liked that old Chief's Defense, Willie Lanier, Mike Curtis (wrote about him crushing the dude running onto the field), Bobby Bell, etc. Funniest part was when he wrote about Tom Jackson (the ESPN host). Apparently, Tom wasn't very polite on the field. Madden wrote that Jackson would make a tackle and then yell at him "Take that, Fat Man!". Insults like that all game long. If I ever meet Tom Jackson, I'm dying to ask him about that. It was a different NFL back then.

I also remember Madden saying how wrong he was about Eric Dickerson (who was a huge superstar at the time in the mid-80's). Coming into the draft, he thought Dickerson was strictly an astroturf star and would struggle playing on muddy grass (the Raider's field at the Colosseum tended to be damp all the time). He wrote that he found out pretty quickly that Dickerson could play on anything, turf, grass, mud, parking lot, marbles, broken glass, anything.

Alex.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
That's why I started with "IIRC", I'm remembering something Madden wrote in his book "One Knee Equals Two Feet and Everything Else You Need To Know About Football". That book came out in the mid 80's (I must have read it around 1987, nearly 30 years ago). He had a section devoted to the best players he ever saw and that's where I read the story. I'm 100% sure about the muscle beach part. He also wrote about Jack playing with the broken leg. That's the first time I heard about it because I was too young in '79 to really be aware of the situation when it actually happened. I must be wrong about the 2x a season part, good catch. I must have been thinking of something he said about a Chief or Bronco and mentally attached it to the Youngblood story? He really liked that old Chief's Defense, Willie Lanier, Mike Curtis (wrote about him crushing the dude running onto the field), Bobby Bell, etc. Funniest part was when he wrote about Tom Jackson (the ESPN host). Apparently, Tom wasn't very polite on the field. Madden wrote that Jackson would make a tackle and then yell at him "Take that, Fat Man!". Insults like that all game long. If I ever meet Tom Jackson, I'm dying to ask him about that. It was a different NFL back then.

I also remember Madden saying how wrong he was about Eric Dickerson (who was a huge superstar at the time in the mid-80's). Coming into the draft, he thought Dickerson was strictly an astroturf star and would struggle playing on muddy grass (the Raider's field at the Colosseum tended to be damp all the time). He wrote that he found out pretty quickly that Dickerson could play on anything, turf, grass, mud, parking lot, marbles, broken glass, anything.

Alex.

In the '70s I remember watching the Rams play the Vikings in an NFC championship game at the open-air Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis. Madden and Pat Summerall had the call for CBS. A frigid Arctic blue sky air mass enveloped the area and the field was a concrete mixture of frozen mud and sparse dead grass blades. Most of the sane players wore thermal hoodies and long underwear to protect themselves from the cold as they watched their breath turn into foggy ice crystals with each exhalation. And then there was Jack Youngblood...Florida boy playing for the warm weather Rams...his sleeves rolled up above his ample biceps and arms bared...ignoring the burning cold as if it was just another early September sweltering sun at Florida Field. Madden went on and on about Jack being tougher than nails and a breed apart.

He is the epitomy of what an American football player should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator