All Time Florida Basketball Starting Five

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Vernon was a sky walker.
Andrew Declerq was a big reason we made our first final four. Taurean under rated but was the perfect pg for that great team. btw Barry has not broken Taureans string of FTs yet. Miller has to be out there. I saw Walk play, Almost 20 rpg and 26 pts a game one year. He was player of the year if Kareem is not there. Beal stays 3 years he may be best ever. Calathes same. We had a guard years ago named Tony Miller. Would have been a Humphrey from the three. Saw him score fifty one night. I dont have time right now but will fill in some blanks later

Miller lives here in Indy. He's a podiatrist. He was the #2 scorer in the SEC to some guy named Maravich. Yeah, he could really fill up the basket. Walk was the #2 pick in the draft behind Kareem. He went full-on hippy and collapsed, but when he was good he was great. And Mad Max was our best shooting guard by a mile. He had unlimited range and unlimited confidence.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Walk was the #2 pick in the draft behind Kareem. He went full-on hippy and collapsed, but when he was good he was great..

As yugely, you got it right CircityGator. Once Walk separated from the rich lifestyle of NBA laborers, on a Carribean island he washed up as a Walk, started mellowtating using ritual (& dirt-cheap) tribal mushrooms. Walk for just one momentum flew, and so legally changed his name to Joshua Hawk. (must've been powerful drug-dregs as the trend mushroomed to his brother becoming Warren Hawk and, of course wife, Georgia Hawk??) Once through that hippy hop, Walk had a tryout with the Suns, but when he showed so much pride in making all his dunks from below the rim upward through the net, he was released. When coach-berated him for it, all Walk repeatedly said was : "Peace to backboards, not pieces." ??

Now the name of the island was (believed misspelled from the outset) Sint Eustatius, probly a result of the aboriginaltered minds of the tribal council. Eye witnesses said all sure looked "richualeyesed"... and were in that state when they invented the up through the basket dunk shot.??

Truly though, Walk had a great soul. Years later on a TV interview he advised: "No matter how a person came across their malady, people with maladies own the same heart, same soul, and same feelings as you all. And they have capabilities for sure. "Disabled" is a funky word that shouldn't be passed around. Anything you get stuck in your head, you'll be... Me, I am a man who uses a wheelchair. Fittipaldi is a man who uses a racecar." RIP Neal.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For all time best I'm going to go with:

C: Neal Walk
PF: Al Horford
SF: Mike Miller
SG: Vernon Maxwell
PG: Jason Williams

If I'm actually putting together a team to go up against all time squads from other schools I'm going to switch it up and go with:

C: Joakim Noah
SF: Corey Brewer
SG: Bradley Beal

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
For all time best I'm going to go with:

C: Neal Walk
SF: Mike Miller
SG: Vernon Maxwell

If I'm actually putting together a team to go up against all time squads from other schools I'm going to switch it up and go with:

C: Joakim Noah
SF: Corey Brewer
SG: Bradley Beal

Where is Drejer? Afterall Drejer played two seasons at UF and then volunatrily left in the middle of the 3rd season. Jason Williams played 20 games one season at UF and VOLUNTARILY did something to cause him to leave at midseason.

If Magic Johnson or Johns Stockton got inspired by Canyon Barry and enrolled in the UF MA program in nuclear engineering next year would you also count either of them as a UF player and include them on your all time UF team next year?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Where is Drejer? Afterall Drejer played two seasons at UF and then volunatrily left in the middle of the 3rd season. Jason Williams played 20 games one season at UF and VOLUNTARILY did something to cause him to leave at midseason.

If Magic Johnson or Johns Stockton got inspired by Canyon Barry and enrolled in the UF MA program in nuclear engineering next year would you also count either of them as a UF player and include them on your all time UF team next year?
Drejer wasn't that good. If magic or Stockton shows up next year and plays like he did at 20 for half the season I'll add him to the list.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Well Jason Williams played no seasons at UF. He played 20 games by his own choices. He was certainly not the player that Moten, Green and Wilbekin were at UF. What he did at Marshal, in high school or in the NBA is irrelevant to who are the best UF players of all time.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another poster brought up their all-time men’s basketball team in the point guard thread and I thought it would be kind of fun to have a thread about who your top five would be. He said:

Moten was consistently excellent for 4 years and I would put him on my All-Time Gator team along with Neal Walk, Ronnie Williams (all time leading UF scorer and a true stud in the paint), Al Horford and Kenny Boynton. The 1st Gator BB I attended was in February 1969 when Neal Walk led the Gators to an 82-81 upset of Dan Issell & Kentucky. Been a fan ever since. Lots of great players have come through this program and Andrew Moten was one of the very best.

So here’s the one rule: you can’t go more than 6 players deep. Starting 5 and one 6th man.

Here’s mine:

PG: J-Will
SG: Maxwell
SF: Miller
PF: Noah
C: Walk
6th: Humphries

That 6th one was tough for me. Brewer would’ve been great to come in and clamp down on defense but wow Humphries would be dangerous from deep.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Noah wasn't a scorer. I'd put Horford above him at PF and probably move Noah to center in front of Walk.

I realize Walk had a great UF career, but that was a long time ago.

Seeing Mad Max at the 2 feels all slimy, but in reality no one was better.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure they would make the list, but some of my favs are DaMeat Hook, Declerq, Eugene the dunkin Machine, the Lawernce Brothers, Dwayne Davis, Livingston Chatman, Dupay, David Lee and BONNER!!!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Noah wasn't a scorer. I'd put Horford above him at PF and probably move Noah to center in front of Walk.

I realize Walk had a great UF career, but that was a long time ago.

Seeing Mad Max at the 2 feels all slimy, but in reality no one was better.

I like the idea of Walk and Noah on the court at the same time. I don’t think virtually any team would be able to score in the paint on them. The interior defense would be sick.

Noah is one of the best passing big men ever. Imagine he, J-Will, and Miller bearing down on you.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure they would make the list, but some of my favs are DaMeat Hook, Declerq, Eugene the dunkin Machine, the Lawernce Brothers, Dwayne Davis, Livingston Chatman, Dupay, David Lee and BONNER!!!

Lee is a rebounding machine. He was borderline for me. But is he better than Horford? So he’s probably 3rd team. Shows you how dominant BD was at recruiting and developing talent.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Noah wasn't a scorer??!! He averaged a team high 14.2 points a game the first NC year...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like the idea of Walk and Noah on the court at the same time. I don’t think virtually any team would be able to score in the paint on them. The interior defense would be sick.

Noah is one of the best passing big men ever. Imagine he, J-Will, and Miller bearing down on you.
I'm essentially trading Walk for Horford. I fully agree re Noah's passing ability. He has an exceptional basketball IQ. I'd just rather him be closer to the hoop and allow Horford to shoot intermediate j's and operate with his back to the basket.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Noah wasn't a scorer??!! He averaged a team high 14.2 points a game the first NC year...
Noah wasn't a scorer. Layups and dunks, yes. In terms of shot, absolutely not. I shouldn't need to point that out.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Noah developed a post up game and was UNSTOPPABLE down low. Remember when Noah scored 37 against UGA?? He was hitting from EVERYWHERE that day. Even hit a 3 pointer that day. Horford did too and had more of a mid range jumper game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.