Amazing fact about Coach Mac

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
At the time of his hiring, Jim McElwain (52) is the oldest head coach in the history of Florida #Gators football (by 5 years).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It was one of things I liked about him better than Freeze. Not really the age he just appears to be a little more seasoned. I think he's even had a short stint in the NFL. The way asst. coaches come and go he might have a larger pool of guys that he's worked with to draw from when it comes to replacing staff members. I also like that he seems somewhat more diversified in his offensive approach than some of the younger guys that we might have ended up with. Overall I don't think this is a bad hire as long as he retains some of the current staff, Lawing, Robinson at least and maybe Durkin and Summers.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
I like it, too. 52 is not old (personal experience). He could build a long-term dynasty here. (I know its early to speculate). He spent 10 years as a QB/Rec's coach before he ever became an OC. That's time to really master your craft. Also, his youngest kid is now 19 y.o., so the timing is good to take on the all-consuming job as Florida HBC. He has paid his dues.

I think JF swung for the fences hoping that last young guy - forgot his name already - would be the next Billy D. McElwain has real credibility, proven effectiveness.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
HogtownGator;n125450 said:
He spent 10 years as a QB/Rec's coach before he ever became an OC. That's time to really master your craft.
Those were the words I was looking for. I think sometimes guys get a reputation or promotion based on the fact they have a couple of good years coaching great players. Then they get into a tough conference or a situation where they don't have great players and they fail or get mixed results. I just feel more comfortable with this guy but time will tell.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
52 is not old at all. My point was that in the history of UF football, he is the oldest when first hired. How old was Charlie Pell? He looked like miles and miles of bad unpaved road.

GatorCrunch

Nov 20, 2014
I dont think its a problem but he needs to control his weight if he wants to avoid health problems.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n125444 said:
he just appears to be a little more seasoned. I think he's even had a short stint in the NFL. The way asst. coaches come and go he might have a larger pool of guys that he's worked with to draw from when it comes to replacing staff members. I also like that he seems somewhat more diversified in his offensive approach than some of the younger guys that we might have ended up with. Overall I don't think this is a bad hire as long as he retains some of the current staff, Lawing, Robinson at least and maybe Durkin and Summers.

+1

HogtownGator;n125450 said:
I like it, too. 52 is not old (personal experience). He could build a long-term dynasty here. (I know its early to speculate). He spent 10 years as a QB/Rec's coach before he ever became an OC. That's time to really master your craft. Also, his youngest kid is now 19 y.o., so the timing is good to take on the all-consuming job as Florida HBC. He has paid his dues.

+1

I don't think it's a guarantee, but I could see it playing out this way. I sure hope it does!

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"At the time of hiring" is the key point here. Spurdog was like 56 when he resigned.

And Pell was like 38 when he was hired. Hall was like 44.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
EuroGator;n125693 said:
+1

+1

I don't think it's a guarantee, but I could see it playing out this way. I sure hope it does!

Another positive of this is I don't think he is going to want to jump to the NFL any time soon. Just hope he pans out, because if he does I think he is here a LONG time.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
WillGetIn;n125749 said:
"At the time of hiring" is the key point here. Spurdog was like 56 when he resigned.

And Pell was like 38 when he was hired. Hall was like 44.

Must've been dog years because Pell was a hard looking 38. Hall looked old from birth.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is still in a safe zone on age. I think when coaches start hitting that mid-60's mark is when they start forgetting names of players and what time practice was supposed to start, etc. Mac should be fine for a decade plus, if he's winning games.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
:eek:ldman:: the official McElwain avatar. This is what he will look like giving a pep talk in the locker room.

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Folks, I believe unless ur Saben at Bama, the SEC really grinds men down, like it did Meyer. How long he ll be able to take the heat here at 52 is open to question, unless hes winning big every year. SOS could talk about that, so could Meyer. The Fan base better show him alot of love to keep him if hes good, and then do we hire a coach in waiting under him? Another question.
Bayergator

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bayergator;n126290 said:
Folks, I believe unless ur Saben at Bama, the SEC really grinds men down, like it did Meyer. How long he ll be able to take the heat here at 52 is open to question, unless hes winning big every year. SOS could talk about that, so could Meyer. The Fan base better show him alot of love to keep him if hes good, and then do we hire a coach in waiting under him? Another question.
Bayergator

Alex.?

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Hello Euro,
Just my fealing, much older that 52 isn t a good idea, the tenure can likely not be very long, not everyone stays around like the Bear, or that guy at D3 Mount Union.
Bayergator

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He's ONLY 52! He's got at least a decade of coaching left in him. There're only 2 current SEC coaches that have been in the same gig that long, Richt and Pinkel at Mizzou. So really only one coach that's lived through the SEC grind for a decade. If we get that out of a coach, we'll be doing well. Age isn't the deciding factor in how long he's here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.