Analyst’s at other schools

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Since we’ve all been witness to the extraordinary turn around of our athletic department, regarding football and spending some cash to catch up with the big boys.

I’m wondering, is the same thing happening with our Rivals?
We already know about Bama and Georgia.

What is LSU doing in this regard?

South Carolina ,Tennessee , Kentucky,
Or FSU investing in these “analyst “ ?

Just wondering if this is a trend overall,or just schools that want to win at a high level.

Really isn’t much news out there on this, that I can dig up anyway.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Part of it is a buildup of staff but the other half is having a coaching staff that thrives on recruiting.

for instance our S&C under Mullen had 4 people, I think. Same as with Napier. But the people that Napier is bringing on LIVE for this stuff. And so does Napier. Is it any wonder that recruiting picked up AFTER Mullen was fired? Or that he let all our best recruiters go?

Mac is probably our worst coach ever. But he actually had an eye for talent. On the offensive side. Chase should have been a Gator but left after Mac was fired. That would have been 2 rookie pro bowl selections.

Defense was an utter disaster.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Part of it is a buildup of staff but the other half is having a coaching staff that thrives on recruiting.

for instance our S&C under Mullen had 4 people, I think. Same as with Napier. But the people that Napier is bringing on LIVE for this stuff. And so does Napier. Is it any wonder that recruiting picked up AFTER Mullen was fired? Or that he let all our best recruiters go?

Mac is probably our worst coach ever. But he actually had an eye for talent. On the offensive side. Chase should have been a Gator but left after Mac was fired. That would have been 2 rookie pro bowl selections.

Imo muschamp was worse than Mac.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp could recruit high level defense guys, but sucked royally at properly managing the roster. Mac had a fairly good knack for finding underrated talent but couldn't land a top class nor field an offense that didn't make you want to pull your hair out. Both would do fine at a lower level school that doesn't have championship level expectations, but neither are cut out to be the CEO of a high level program. It just is what it is. I don't think either one of them are bad guys, they just aren't cut out for the big leagues. Neither is Mullen. He's got a good to great offensive mind, but again sucks as a high level CEO that can bring championships. BN may never win one, here or anywhere, but so far I do like how he's going about his business. Only time will tell if he has what it takes in the long run. At least he seems to understand talent is needed to win and it takes a lot of people working together to identify and convince that talent to come play for UF.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Mullen had 5 paid S&C guys - plus I'm certain there were interns and/or GA's @ltraz - could probably answer more on that.

Every program in the country is using 'analysts' and 'quality control' coaches - even Mullen did (McGee was an analyst last year then promoted to QB coach). Shane Graham is an analyst for ST's (I think he's being retained).

Mike N over at FSU just promoted Randy Shannon from his analyst staff.

The difference is: how they are used. Like Saban, BN has said he wants EACH coach to have an "assistant coach" (which technically is not allowed, as an on-field "coach"). I'm not sure how they get around this rule during practice, because these guys are out there on the practice field during practices.

Mullen under utilized these positions - even though he was apparently given the budget to hire more (he made a comment about not wanting to waste money). BN is going to max out the budget (and I'm guessing he asks for more money next year...and the next....and the next, etc).

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
All I see is a bunch of George Kastanza's from the Yankee's.
giphy.gif

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
All I see is a bunch of George Kastanza's from the Yankee's.

As I pointed out elsewhere, in general success is followed by bureaucracy rather than bureacracy leading to success. That is true in government and corporate settings. It also seems true in sports.

So the tons of analysts will probably not make UF's program and hopefully will not break it.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Since we’ve all been witness to the extraordinary turn around of our athletic department, regarding football and spending some cash to catch up with the big boys.

I’m wondering, is the same thing happening with our Rivals?
We already know about Bama and Georgia.

What is LSU doing in this regard?

South Carolina ,Tennessee , Kentucky,
Or FSU investing in these “analyst “ ?

Just wondering if this is a trend overall,or just schools that want to win at a high level.

Really isn’t much news out there on this, that I can dig up anyway.

We'll never know. Donk was in charge of that.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
Still hating, eh? You may need to attend my camp.

I don’t hate it anymore. It’s just the cynic in me. That is my thought for every team with these giant staffs. Have they just become another Government agency, more people to justify more budget.

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
I envision SOS2 is building a manageable sized platoon (approx 40 bods) or 2 w/each position having gnat’s arse defined tasks that integrate with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator