Another Opportunity Cost of the Muschamp Era

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
threatmatrix;n87841 said:
This is fairly easy to measure at least at the gross level. Simply track recruiting class rakings versus NFL draft positions. Taking into account how many years that class was developed/destroyed by WM and his band of merry men.
Recruiting rankings and drafts have zero correlation with coaching. Kahlil Mack's coach must be an incredible talent developer because he got drafted so high, right?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87805 said:
There was a void in talent and sheer numbers when WM took over. A lot of that falls on Urban, some of it is just what happens when you change coaches and shouldnt be blamed on anyone. To say it is WMs fault for not having more draft picks his first few years is not fair. Those lack of picks should fall on Urban, last year and beyond fall on WM. Now they both deserve credit for the 2012/13 draft with Floyd and company. Urban brought them in, and WM developed them. It is an odd concept, but we can both credit and blame the same person for different things.

I credit Ray Finkle for this post that I'm blaming him for. = this is the mind-set the Muschamp-malestrom swirls us into.
The whole UF-CFB Program seems to have deserted all who wanted to learn to play & "team" better - - with NFL hopes & potential.
We've had several of these NFL-worth guys who faded fated by WM's pound & ground skill-minimum no-show-case. Solomon Patton,
Trey Burton had to make the NFL as unwanted nobodies. [no way WM's staff recruited unwanted nobodies 3 years running]

Terrible for those young men:

The experience of college fun & pride never occurs, NFL chances cut off by the college they put their faith in. The majority of Non-NFL
college players have little to look back on with satisfaction. Very sad and unnecessary at an elite University. Foley owes the next
group a better chance. GatorNation fans due to.

Foley, go after the very best QB coach and OL coach and WR coach.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n87957 said:
I credit Ray Finkle for this post that I'm blaming him for. = this is the mind-set the Muschamp-malestrom swirls us into.
The whole UF-CFB Program seems to have deserted all who wanted to learn to play & "team" better - - with NFL hopes & potential.
We've had several of these NFL-worth guys who faded fated by WM's pound & ground skill-minimum no-show-case. Solomon Patton, Trey Burton had to make the NFL as unwanted nobodies. [no way WM's staff recruited unwanted nobodies 3 years running]

Terrible for those young men:

Trey Burton was a 3* QB in high school who got to UF and had a very weak arm but fortunately was a good enough athlete to be converted to an H back type player. I loved Burton, don't get me wrong. But he was a former 3* QB converted into a Jack of all trades, master of none. He's very lucky to have made an NFL team, and I'm extremely happy for the young man!

Solomon Patton was a 5'8 speedster WR. Perfect for the Urban Meyer spread offense he was recruited for. But if memory serves correctly, he was played very sparingly as a true freshman with UM. Then Meyer quit on him and on UF. He was a fish out of water in Charlie Weise's offense and CW had NO USE for him in his system. Fortunately Pease got some good use out of him. He's a 5 ft. 8 inch receiver. How many of those are on NFL teams? Other than Welker, I can't think of a receiver under 6 ft. I'm sure there is one, but there's not many. Again, he's lucky to have made an NFL team.

Look, there is reason enough to hate on Muschamp and soon enough he'll be gone. Why find new and inventive ways to bag on the guy that we don't and can't gather any substantive proof for? He's hated, we get it. Let's move on to speculating who his replacement will be or how many points we might can muster with TH, the young but talented freshman.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not downing man Muschamp but how a university FB program needs to provide "some" opportunity for CFB players to
have a decent chance to be noticed by the NFL. That also elevates UF's chances of wins … even championships.
Our last NC team's win has often been explained by "we had 7 NFL players" on that team. It elevates the draw of
the most talented recruits. That's my only point … that and the fact the opposite is going on with the WM-pragram.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n88130 said:
Not downing man Muschamp but how a university FB program needs to provide "some" opportunity for CFB players to
have a decent chance to be noticed by the NFL. That also elevates UF's chances of wins … even championships.
Our last NC team's win has often been explained by "we had 7 NFL players" on that team. It elevates the draw of
the most talented recruits. That's my only point … that and the fact the opposite is going on with the WM-pragram.

Love ya, Rog. But the data doesn't support this. I am about to create a new thread about what the data supports about player development and NFL opportunities. It is forthcoming...

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n88145 said:
Love ya, Rog. But the data doesn't support this. I am about to create a new thread about what the data supports about player development and NFL opportunities. It is forthcoming...

:popcorn:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n88145 said:

AlaGator, just worried about the turnaround time in the future - attracting "take-charge" confident, talented players.
I easily could be wrong but, my feeling is Gators drafted into the NFL have been trending down (include 2015 draft)
over 2012-2015 (future draft). I really don't care about loading Muschamp with any blame. It's the process that we
are stuck with, like a bad label, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.