Another option

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It would be a new approach to solving our problem, but Foley has backed himself into a corner and the program is burning down. We are committed to paying the dawg, we won't be able to talk to certain coaches until season ends. Foley, as the boss, should inform dawgchamp that he retains the title of Head Coach, but in name only. Roper becomes the OC/Assistant Head Coach, he has complete control over the offense & special teams, the dawg is demoted to defense only.

This should allow us to actually have an offense that scores, and plays to win, instead of dawgchamps philosophy. If we can show some improvement it might save the recruiting class. It gives Roper a chance to show if he has HBC material.

We need an immediate solution. WM should have been fired last year after any of those bad losses, and this year has already presented more opportunities but the inaction of Foley is destroying our program.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you're going to do that, then you might as well tell him to pack it up and leave, and just hand it all over to Roper for the remainder of the year. There is literally no reason to do the scenario you just described.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n85682 said:
If you're going to do that, then you might as well tell him to pack it up and leave, and just hand it all over to Roper for the remainder of the year. There is literally no reason to do the scenario you just described.

Two reasons, I don't think Durkins is really qualified to be the DC, he was named that because when Quinn left to have continuity and WM was still heavily involved. Also I read where SOS wants him as his DC.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Well, there are several reasons to keep Muschamp on-board even if the defacto head-coach powers were to be handed to Roper:

(1) Most people think Muschamp still knows how to prepare and coach a defense. The defense is not entirely DJ Durkin's brainchild. (Presumably). That might not be a COMPELLING reason on balance, when the pros and cons are jointly considered, but it is A reason.

(2) The previously mentioned purported goat pictures.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
CaribGator;n85696 said:
Two reasons, I don't think Durkins is really qualified to be the DC, he was named that because when Quinn left to have continuity and WM was still heavily involved. Also I read where SOS wants him as his DC.
So if SOS was to come back to coach the Gators then Muschamp would be his DC? I know its a long shot, but according to you that is possible.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n85696 said:

No head coach is going to step back to being the de facto defensive coordinator on the same team they were head coach for. It just simply isn't going to happen. Perhaps he goes somewhere else and becomes coordinator again, but not UF. It's more likely he goes to a lower level FBS school as head coach and attempts to build himself again, but it will not be at UF in any capacity.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n85709 said:
No head coach is going to step back to being the de facto defensive coordinator on the same team they were head coach for. It just simply isn't going to happen. Perhaps he goes somewhere else and becomes coordinator again, but not UF. It's more likely he goes to a lower level FBS school as head coach and attempts to build himself again, but it will not be at UF in any capacity.

I know what you are saying URG, Pease went back to being a WR. But Foley today issued his statement, he can tell WM that is how it will be, if he doesn't like it he can quit!! Do us all the favor.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n85738 said:
I know what you are saying URG, Pease went back to being a WR. But Foley today issued his statement, he can tell WM that is how it will be, if he doesn't like it he can quit!! Do us all the favor.

Pease also did so at another team, which was exactly my previous point.

Serious question, why would any respectable AD ask that of an existing head coach?

It's just not a smart move on so many levels. To be honest, I wouldn't want an AD that would be willing to ask that of a head coach. Seriously, either Muschamp stays the entire season (knowingly fired or not), or he packs his bags early. It's not a good idea on any level to retain him as a de facto DC. It's bad optics on the AD, on the coach himself, for the recruits, and for the fans. I just can't see how it would be beneficial in any way, shape, or form. The experiment needs to end or allow the experiment to finish the season, those are the real options. Sadly, knowing what is available around the country, I have a feeling our "experimental" phase isn't going to end any time soon, whether it's Muschamp at the helm or someone else.

What if......Muschamp isn't getting fired like everyone thinks he obviously should, because there isn't a quality coach for UF to go get, that actually wants to come to UF??
I said to someone before, the best coaches are unattainable. The rest have faults and are a gamble one way or another, IMO.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n85709 said:

This

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator