Any Gators my age or older?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
A better question might be how many Steve Spurriers had anyone else ever brought to UF prior to Coach Graves. You do a disservice to a fine coach and an even better man by ignoring or discounting his contributions to the modern era of UF FB. UF was straight-up garbage for over thirty years before CRG lifted us out of the crapper and set the stage for the greatest Gator of them all. Graves was also responsible for bringing one of the best passing offenses of the day into an SEC that viewed throwing the ball as some sort of commie plot.

The fact that he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa in 1963, and missed doing so again in '64, only after a furious SS led comeback failed when the place kicker missed a chip shot FG as the game ended, is a memory that many older Gators still cherish. Throw in the great upset win over a really good GT squad, with Bobby Dodd jr. at QB, to start the season in 1960, the entire Spurrier era along with all of his exploits and accomplishments, the Super Sophs, featuring Reaves to Alvarez, plus the win over Dickey's UT team in the Gator Bowl in 1969 and I just don't see how anyone who knows anything at all about UF FB can throw shade on one the more important figures in program history. End of rant.

You are absolutely correct sir. I apologize for my smartassery. My older brother (now deceased) entered UF in 64+/- after a 3 year hitch in the army (airborne). He was on the freshmen team but because of his size, speed and temperament they had him practice with the varsity. My brother thought the world of Coach Graves and spoke more highly of him than anybody else he knew in his life.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not sure if Ox is interested but he shouldn't have any problem qualifying for a Nursing Home Charter.....

Half of the old timers on here can't remember their great grandkids names or where they live half the time but somehow found their way here.

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Dear Gator Friends, As you know, Patton believed in reincarnation and was a young staff officer for Caesar and the great Druses, thats why he knew Germany and France so well in 1917. I believe he marched north to Scotland with Agricola and Cornelles Tasades, Patton saw the Grapian Mountain battle with Calgaccas, and the ingraditude of Diotain. Help! My spell check isn t working, AOLs fault?
Roman Gator. ps wheres my fresian- english- Laten dictonary ? This Italian wine is brutal tonight.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I like how @RomanGator signs his posts with his name. Maybe we should all start doing that, just to be different. What do you think of that idea, @AlexDaGator?

GGG.

Back in the day we had a different platform. When you replied to a post it quoted that post and all the previous responsive posts. In the political forum, it could be a dozen or more posts all quoted inside each other. It was hard to tell exactly who wrote what because it would list all the names at the top then all the quotes these ever-narrower rectangles nested inside each other. Sometimes people would attribute a post to the wrong person. I began signing my name so that people would know which particular chunk of reply was mine.

Ox mocked me for it so even after we changed platforms and the problem went away, I kept signing my posts because fcuk him, that's why. No offense Ox.

If you're implying Roman is an alias of mine, nah. I can talk Clyde "Cannonball" Crabtree and Tiger Mayberry with the best of them, but I'm not Roman.

If you're trying to mock me, then fcuk you too. No offense.

If you're so inclined, feel free to start a poll. "Should ADG keep signing his posts?"

A. Yes, keep signing, especially if it annoys Ox and GGG.
B. Yes, keep signing, but drop that damn annoying period.
C. Stop it, STOP IT, for the love of all that is Orange and Blue, STOP IT!
D. Ham Sammich.

Please note that nowhere in this post have I agreed to abide by the results of any such poll.

Alex.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Back in the day we had a different platform. When you replied to a post it quoted that post and all the previous responsive posts. In the political forum, it could be a dozen or more posts all quoted inside each other. It was hard to tell exactly who wrote what because it would list all the names at the top then all the quotes these ever-narrower rectangles nested inside each other. Sometimes people would attribute a post to the wrong person. I began signing my name so that people would know which particular chunk of reply was mine.

Ox mocked me for it so even after we changed platforms and the problem went away, I kept signing my posts because fcuk him, that's why. No offense Ox.

If you're implying Roman is an alias of mine, nah. I can talk Clyde "Cannonball" Crabtree and Tiger Mayberry with the best of them, but I'm not Roman.

If you're trying to mock me, then fcuk you too. No offense.

If you're so inclined, feel free to start a poll. "Should ADG keep signing his posts?"

A. Yes, keep signing, especially if it annoys Ox and GGG.
B. Yes, keep signing, but drop that damn annoying period.
C. Stop it, STOP IT, for the love of all that is Orange and Blue, STOP IT!
D. Ham Sammich.

Please note that nowhere in this post have I agreed to abide by the results of any such poll.

Alex.
Aww I was just messing with @RomanGator. I like how you sign your name. Reason being, Ox hates it. :hahaha::mad:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I liked Dubs, Grand Fallun, and Big Daddies, I m sure none of you remember Traders South, you re all good moral people.
pffffft…Traders South was a hellava upgrade from Traders North….Tom was uglier than Jack Palance….Red Lion was where all the head nurse student’s went….candy….

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
I dont want to try to be important, just informative and funny. I m too far away from Georgia Seagle Hall to know as much as you locals, but I can bring up the past and try to make it funny for you. Trier, Zanton,(home to siggie and brunie) Cologne, the Limes Line, thats my world now, but I still miss and love Florida, Ceder Key, and Cross Creek and Ichnatuckie Creek, great place to tube with someone you care about.
We have enough to cry and swear about in these times, lets find something to laugh about together, ok?
Roman Gator,. (Checking out a nice Roman Bath House at Weissenburg.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
A better question might be how many Steve Spurriers had anyone else ever brought to UF prior to Coach Graves. You do a disservice to a fine coach and an even better man by ignoring or discounting his contributions to the modern era of UF FB. UF was straight-up garbage for over thirty years before CRG lifted us out of the crapper and set the stage for the greatest Gator of them all. Graves was also responsible for bringing one of the best passing offenses of the day into an SEC that viewed throwing the ball as some sort of commie plot.

The fact that he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa in 1963, and missed doing so again in '64, only after a furious SS led comeback failed when the place kicker missed a chip shot FG as the game ended, is a memory that many older Gators still cherish. Throw in the great upset win over a really good GT squad, with Bobby Dodd jr. at QB, to start the season in 1960, the entire Spurrier era along with all of his exploits and accomplishments, the Super Sophs, featuring Reaves to Alvarez, plus the win over Dickey's UT team in the Gator Bowl in 1969 and I just don't see how anyone who knows anything at all about UF FB can throw shade on one the more important figures in program history. End of rant.

That puts in in perspective doesn't it?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
You are absolutely correct sir. I apologize for my smartassery. My older brother (now deceased) entered UF in 64+/- after a 3 year hitch in the army (airborne). He was on the freshmen team but because of his size, speed and temperament they had him practice with the varsity. My brother thought the world of Coach Graves and spoke more highly of him than anybody else he knew in his life.
Thank you. You're a Mensch and so was Coach Graves. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your brother. I'm sure he was a very fine man as well.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Ray Graves was a gentleman and a scholar. A damn fine HBC and Athletic Director. He also whipped Doug Dickey’s back to back SEC Champion Voles in the 1969 Gator Bowl before handing over the program to Gator grad and super successful Vol head coach Doug Dickey who was hired away from the mighty Vols by the Gators as was everyone’s dream hire! Dickey was a royal assshole as it turned out and went back to Tinerc as a highly successful A.D. for years….ain’t no guarantees in football coaches folks.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My first sporting event in person was the 1979 UF-FSU game, debut of the Clemson orange uniforms, 9 years old, Jim Finch with Heeeerrrreeee Come The Gators and the crowd becoming absolutely pissed at a bad onside kick call late in the game got me hooked.

A year later, at the ripe age of 10, I dropped the F bomb in front of my mother for the first time in my life, Lindsay Scott was around the UF 20 yard line or so on the far sideline at the time. I didn't get punished.

My first Gator game was in 1954 vs. Clemson in Jacksonville, a Clemson home game the City bought from them to bring to Jax as was common yearly back then. I was 9, also. They beat our ass, but I was hooked for life. 1962 was my freshman year in Hogtown and Ray Graves was the HBC. Spurrier came in 1963 but back then freshman had their own team mandatory their first year.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Reminiscing about the Roaring ‘20s and pining for Ray Graves. I’m in.
It was quite a big deal when we beat Ga Tech under Graves early in his tenure. Larry Libertore and Bobby Dodd Jr engineered the great win. The legendary Bobby Dodd Sr was still coach at Tech! 18-17

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator