Anybody taking advantage of Coronavirus?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sorry for no updates fellas, but other than the football game last/next Saturday, I'm buried in work.

Short answer, even before the Pfizer thing today, all indicators are up for the foreseeable future minus pullbacks.

I'm only about half in because I don't have any time to monitor chit right now!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sorry for no updates fellas, but other than the football game last/next Saturday, I'm buried in work.

Short answer, even before the Pfizer thing today, all indicators are up for the foreseeable future minus pullbacks.

I'm only about half in because I don't have any time to monitor chit right now!

Don't work too hard. We all appreciate your updates as well as your thoughts just like we appreciate everyone's thoughts. I just put out that I was selling some into this move b/c we still have winter coming, cases rising and this time horizon is not an overnight thing. Business will still be changed forever. And you don;t have to be all in as we know there is a train leaving the station every hour. For example, and this is NOT a recommendation as I am not buying this yet, but look at Clorox (CLX) down over 20 dollars today. The stock is still super expensive but are people going to stop using bleach and cleaning products now?? I think not.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What's up with NASDAQ....I'm up big everywhere until I looked at what's left in growth....Anyway get it while you can. Just heard someone talking about BF/Holiday sales projection starting to drop like a hot potato....

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
BA is up 13%. WTH??

CCL 35%????

Alabama & AAL 16+%??

Not saying this is the move @BMF, but the 10 yr. Treasury move up 15 basis points has a lot of people tossing out all housing related stocks. All the builders, TOL, PHM, DHI. LEN all down a good bit. Home Depot down 11 bux, Lowes down 13 bux. TREX down 11 bux. If this is the beginning of a true vaccine, then the person who paid 1.2 Million for 1200 sq. feet 2 hours away from the city and has a 2.75% Mortgage, all of a sudden is told to be in the office 4 days a week and realizes he could have stay in his condo and gone down the elevator and walked to the office, now tries to sell that 1200sq. feet but Mortgage rates are say 3,25%, is going to have a hard time finding a buyer willing to pay 7 figures!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
What's up with NASDAQ....I'm up big everywhere until I looked at what's left in growth....Anyway get it while you can. Just heard someone talking about BF/Holiday sales projection starting to drop like a hot potato....

Nothing is up with NASDAQ. It is made up mostly of high growth, high PE stocks that many of which do not make money. ZM, NFLX, PTON, etc. etc etc. do not make money. On top of that, any rise in interest rates is hurtful to these companies b/c their cost to borrow in the public markets rises.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I sold off my CCL, United, American, toughbilt, BAC, C, and a couple others. I'm trying to get some cash back in my account to see what happens in the next few months. I added WMT (it was down 1.5%).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Nothing is up with NASDAQ. It is made up mostly of high growth, high PE stocks that many of which do not make money. ZM, NFLX, PTON, etc. etc etc. do not make money. On top of that, any rise in interest rates is hurtful to these companies b/c their cost to borrow in the public markets rises.
I know but now that all the FREE media and tech is in full bliss mode I figured they would have a party....interest rates be damned...:lol2: for a while anyway.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I bought some GE when it touched $6.00 a couple of months ago. Crazy. I think I'll just let this one ride.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Barrick Gold (GOLD) has had a rough few weeks. I seem to be picking some up every few days.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BA, RTX, XOM, SUN, AXP, C, WFC, fintech stuff, BMF's recommended AGNC, Plug... having a nice month

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
BA, RTX, XOM, SUN, AXP, C, WFC, fintech stuff, BMF's recommended AGNC, Plug... having a nice month

It just takes a while but they always get to the "dreck" eventually. The proof will be how far the so called vaccine takes us. I happen to think the market is ahead of where we will end up, but markets can go for alot longer than I can remain solvent.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

BA is rolling along. If it gets under $170-ish again I'm going to load up.

AGNC is doing really well, great monthly dividend too. I sold off some of it last week. I sill have about 1000 shares.

I've been adding AAPL, LOW, WMT, and BABA.

I sold off ET today. It paid the dividend last week, I was up just over 20%, so decided to sell. I think it'll keep running up a little. I just want to have some cash in the account if there's some unexpected non-sense coming our way. Like @FireFoley - I'm being somewhat conservative.

On a bright note, I'm up ~12% on the year in my brokerage/Roth accounts. I was down about 32% after the crash in March and have steadily made a comeback.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BA is rolling along. If it gets under $170-ish again I'm going to load up.

AGNC is doing really well, great monthly dividend too. I sold off some of it last week. I sill have about 1000 shares.

I've been adding AAPL, LOW, WMT, and BABA.

I sold off ET today. It paid the dividend last week, I was up just over 20%, so decided to sell. I think it'll keep running up a little. I just want to have some cash in the account if there's some unexpected non-sense coming our way. Like @FireFoley - I'm being somewhat conservative.

On a bright note, I'm up ~12% on the year in my brokerage/Roth accounts. I was down about 32% after the crash in March and have steadily made a comeback.

I only picked up 100 shares of AGNC after you mentioned it. It's up 11% since.

I'm not certain what to make on these hydrogen fuel cell companies. But I will not complain about being up 600% on PLUG and and 50% BLDP.

I've put quite a bit into and done really well on 3 ARK ETFs. Specifically ARKG, ARKF, and ARKQ. Check those out.

For as awful as 2020 has been overall.... I am having a terrific year in the market.

I have been contemplating adding more AAPL and KO.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Update:

Errthing going up fellas, nothing to stop it any time soon (and I mean two years).

Precious metals update: only buy physical, don't play with paper. Look at the news: JP Morgan just paid a $1 BILLION fine for manipulating the precious metals markets (with immunity in the future)... also just reported GAINS in precious metals trading of... wait for it... in excess of $1 BILLION... in just 2020 so far. There is no justice in America, zero, none, zilch.

Bitcoin shouldn't be ignored. That said, had you added some in March when I mentioned it, you'd be up almost 400%. As long as we keep increasing debt (and we will go "super duper steroid" under Biden with debt), bitcoin will continue up. I treat bitcoin like precious metals... i don't trade them, i buy as insurance, not an investment.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've got a question about end of year long term capital gains and dividends in mutual funds:

Is there an "ex-dividend date" for mutual funds?

I'm considering making a big cash dump into a couple that I have in hopes of getting these end of year "bonuses". I looked up (on dividendinvestor.com) the last few years payment dates and most are in mid-December.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've got a question about end of year long term capital gains and dividends in mutual funds:

Is there an "ex-dividend date" for mutual funds?

I'm considering making a big cash dump into a couple that I have in hopes of getting these end of year "bonuses". I looked up (on dividendinvestor.com) the last few years payment dates and most are in mid-December.

They aren’t bonuses whatsoever. They’re the fund passing on the capital gains liability to all shareholders on the record date. Ex-div is the next day, when a fund that “pays” a 5% dividend sees its NAV drop by 5%. No free lunch, no net gain.

For you, it would be all loss. Don’t do it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They aren’t bonuses whatsoever. They’re the fund passing on the capital gains liability to all shareholders on the record date. Ex-div is the next day, when a fund that “pays” a 5% dividend sees its NAV drop by 5%. No free lunch, no net gain.

For you, it would be all loss. Don’t do it.

Thanks 78. I understand it's not a bonus (that's why I put it in quotes). Not all mutual funds have a drop the next day - I have had that happen before, but it's usually dependent upon what the market does, especially an ETF.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks 78. I understand it's not a bonus (that's why I put it in quotes). Not all mutual funds have a drop the next day - I have had that happen before, but it's usually dependent upon what the market does, especially an ETF.

Yes they do drop by the same percent as the dividend. That’s to prevent investors from being able to “buy” the dividend, which actually isn’t a dividend but rather a distribution.

Google it. You’ll see. Anyway, was just trying to protect you from something you wouldn’t want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.