Anyone else worried about the prospect of playing UCF in a New Year's 6 bowl?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Best possible matchup for us IMO: UCF doesn't have much of a chance with their backup QB that's more of a runner than passer (pull game film vs Miss State to see how our defense did against a much better, more experienced QB with that skillset); and has the added bonus of putting the clamps on their success and a serious wet blanket on them gaining any more momentum.

I'm still not convinced our secondary will be able to handle a top-15 team with a capable QB.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crete, how would beating UCF without their QB shut them the hell up? They'll just claim they would have won with their guy. It won't shut them up AT ALL.

The air went out of this possible matchup when his leg exploded. There's nothing to gain now and a ton to lose. We'll be huge favorites, where's the fun in that?
Exactly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wild guess as of now

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3.ND
4. Georgia
5. OSU
6.Oklahoma
7. UCF
8. Michigan
9. LSU
10. Florida
11. Washington State
12. Penn State

Trying to think if there is any crazy scenario with the final games where we could possibly be left out of a New Year 6 bowl.

Texas or Northwestern winning automatically puts them in the Sugar and Rose Bowls while the losers would still be in. Also the Washington - Utah winner gets a Rose Bowl bid.

Also either UCF or Boise State will get a spot.

I guess if both Oklahoma and OSU lost whoever is ranked lower out of us and LSU could be left out.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I wouldn't mind playing UCF. I think we would be able to beat them on toughness alone.

Many may hate what I'm going to say but UCF is the future university of the state of Florida, it would be nice to put them back in their place for the time being.
Agreed
At the current rate and with the current UF leadership UCF will be the primary state school and the peoples university. From where I sit I believe the UF admin. is just fine with this.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
How is LSU in front of us? Same record but we beat them. Before fsucks game I understand but we throttled fsucks on the road. Yes they are down but it's still a rivalry game on the road.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can argue that all day long and you won't hear any disagreement from me. Now go tell that to the media. A win will be spun as not as important with Milton out.
That’s why your response to it should be meh.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont even know where it is. Rolled up in the garage probably.

Orlando was just where we happened to be assigned at the time and Central was the commiter school nearby. Ive attended five schools other than UF. Central was just the last of the five.
Damn you sound like a professional student dare I say a professor! Yes

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Blowing out the Cinderalla media darling on January 1 or 2 has many upsides.

No one really cares about strenght of schedule. It would have us going into 2019 with strong momentum.
We better win, I.e. take them seriously.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Aren't we forgetting the real reason pundips heap voluble praise on UCF's team = because their offensive schemes so frequently fool the opposing defense. Players weaving, criss-crossing, etc the cameras love it. Other teams that should battle UCF well, get wildly conquered. That stuff may not work at all vs an SEC defense, but the flow of their effort is praiseworthy. It rewards the spectators with excitement of big risk, big payoff = more drama.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
While UCF is playing with backup QB, how many of our starters are gonna sit out / dial it down in the bowl game because they are declaring to the NFL?

It happened to Auburn last year, and sure can happen to us too. We have a big drop off between our starters and backups in multiple positions.

If we play another p5 team, it may balance out. But is anyone at UCF close to NFL worthy?

Either way, bring it on. We need to demolish them to remove any doubts about who owns Florida.

Last edited:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
While UCF is playing with backup QB, how many of our starters are gonna sit out / dial it down in the bowl game because they are declaring to the NFL.

It happened to Auburn last year, and sure can happen to us too. We have a big drop off between our starters and backups in multiple positions.

If we play another p5 team, it may balance out. But is anyone at UCF close to NFL worthy?

Either way, bring it on. We need to demolish them to remove any doubts about who owns Florida.
I mentioned this in another post. I'd make it damn clear to every single one of them that if they intend to cruise along, don't bother dressing out or even coming to practice. I'd make practices damn difficult, hitting and running their asses off to get the point across. Were treating this game like a NC game and if you aren't on board with that because you think your going to be a 1st rounder.....so long.

Last edited:

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
How is LSU in front of us? Same record but we beat them. Before fsucks game I understand but we throttled fsucks on the road. Yes they are down but it's still a rivalry game on the road.

No reason really. The same reason why we are ahead of Kentucky even though they beat us in our stadium and now have the same record. To be fair, I think LSUs SOS is higher than ours, and ours is probably higher than Kentucky's so it all works out.

jgator

Jul 18, 2018
I genuinely don't understand why anyone would NOT want to play UCF in a NY6.
Sure, it wouldn't be a sexy matchup when maybe Michigan or Texas or Washington State are out there.

But they need to be put in their place and there is no better program to do it than ours.

jgator

Jul 18, 2018
Also, I didn't read the whole thread. But anyone worried about UCF becoming the premier institution in the state is fretting for nothing.

UCF is a directional school with a below average academic reputation.
They are much more like Houston, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc than major state schools.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I didn't read the whole thread. But anyone worried about UCF becoming the premier institution in the state is fretting for nothing..
No one on the planet is worried about that.

We have a much greater concern that our university is so set on becoming Public Ivy that they ignore football completely and tolerate mediocrity

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.