April 3rd, 1974

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Who remembers the tornado outbreak of that night? It was 49 years ago today. I was 10 y/o and watched a HUGE tornado pass about 1/2 mile behind our house. That tornado destroyed many buildings/homes and took some lives, though I don't know how many. April 3rd was considered the benchmark for severe weather up until April 27th, 2011. In the '74 storms, there were a total of 319 lives lost including 9 people who died from tornado damage up in Ontario, Canada.

And so far this year, there have been over 400 reports of tornadoes with more than 300 of those officially confirmed. This year is starting off as one of the highest number of tornadoes on record.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe I was drunk in Gibraltar.
Shore leave from Med. Cruise.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I remember it like it was yesterday. I had just decided to catch the ferry over to Shelbyville because I needed to get a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days nickels had pictures of bumble bees on em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter!", you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yea... The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get wuz those big yellow ones...

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I was 12 at that time in 1974, but don't remember much about it since I was in central FL and working my butt off in the watermelon field when I was not in school.

I was living on Sand Mountain in Albertville when the Palm Sunday storm hit the church in NE Alabama. Was watching UF play for its first Final Four berth when the storm tracker came on the TV. Albertville is in Marshall County.

Marshall County - Tornado (F2)

A tornado travelled southwest to northeast across an area just south of the city of Guntersville. The tornado apparently began along Highway 79 South then cross Big Spring Creek damaging a number of residential structures along Spring Creek Drive. The tornado appeared to weaken but was still strong enough to rip off the top part of the roof to the Marshall Nursing Home and damaging several houses near the entrance to Happy Home. It crossed U. S. Highway 431 near the high school taking out some trees on the side of the mountain and damaging a couple of homes. A total of 103 houses were damaged, 45 of them along Spring Creek Drive and 8 along Highway 79 South. In addition, hail of 0.75 near Arab at 1055 am CST, and 1.75 inches in diameter reported at Guntersville at 1115 am CST.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Nalt, you know how some actors are great in supporting roles, but for whatever reason aren’t ever lead characters in films because it just don’t seem to work? I think between this abomination(just wait till @BMF sees the title) and your Michael Jordan movie thread that’s equally crickets and just obviously not very discussion worthy as it’s already being flushed from page 1, you may just need to stick to posting within threads, not starting your own. I still think you’re exceptional and probably Top-2 Alabama posters on the site. Just offering some friendly advice.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Nalt, you know how some actors are great in supporting roles, but for whatever reason aren’t ever lead characters in films because it just don’t seem to work? I think between this abomination(just wait till @BMF sees the title) and your Michael Jordan movie thread that’s equally crickets and just obviously not very discussion worthy as it’s already being flushed from page 1, you may just need to stick to posting within threads, not starting your own. I still think your exceptional and probably Top-2 Alabama posters on the site. Just offering some friendly advice.
Bill and Nalt could get together and do a running thread to avoid having to start new threads........just a thought.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Bill and Nalt could get together and do a running thread to avoid having to start new threads........just a thought.
This is a great idea! Nalt could post memes for five pages. Then Bill could come along and copy/paste memes from page one and inject them on page six.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator