Are the Gators of the 80's?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only ones that argued that argued it from their High School film not their College Film. We have the speed and size in Callaway, Swain. Plus I think our RBs are solid....we just need to get rid of this RB by committee thing and let the best two carry the load.

So their college film is showing proper route running and fighting for 50/50 balls on a regular basis? Which college film are you watching. Just look at the SEC Championship game, receivers running the wrong routes, and not fighting for 50/50 balls. Watch the UMASS film same thing. It's consistent, and it's coaching.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
220px-Doug_Dickey_(1971).png

110347393.jpg

imrs.php

r139346_576x324_16-9.jpg

... and the beat down goes on

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
usp_ncaa_football__sec_championship-florida_vs_ala_78082420.jpg

Mac is now being used as the poster child to demonstrate the new "Surrender Cobra" pose in college football.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The similarities are the blow-out losses to our rivals and the complete lack of offense. The recruiting was better then, so were the fans. Hell, you often knew going into the game you were going to lose, so you figured you better damn well win the weekend. That often meant doing things that could potentially get you in dutch with Law Enforcement, female opposing fans and their significant others, and school officials. The eighties to me were one big drunken blur of the reckless use of firearms, urine, vomit, elbow-titty, obscenity laced insults directed at elderly Dawg fans, fist fights and Kyle Morris interceptions. It was fckin' glorious.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Hell, you often knew going into the game you were going to lose, so you figured you better damn well win the weekend. That often meant doing things that could potentially get you in dutch with Law Enforcement, female opposing fans and their significant others, and school officials. The eighties to me were one big drunken blur of the reckless use of firearms, urine, vomit, elbow-titty, insulting elderly Dawg fans, fist fights and Kyle Morris interceptions. It was fckin' glorious.
I think I saw you more than a few times................My ex wife wanted to fight dwag biches more than once or twice......

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The similarities are the blow-out losses to our rivals and the complete lack of offense. The recruiting was better then, so were the fans. Hell, you often knew going into the game you were going to lose, so you figured you better damn well win the weekend. That often meant doing things that could potentially get you in dutch with Law Enforcement, female opposing fans and their significant others, and school officials. The eighties to me were one big drunken blur of the reckless use of firearms, urine, vomit, elbow-titty, insulting elderly Dawg fans, fist fights and Kyle Morris interceptions. It was fckin' glorious.

My best buddy, his girlfriend and I spent a good part of the morning of the '82 USC game at the Bennigan's bar on Archer getting primed as f*ck. I was guzzling vodka and cranberry, them I'm not sure, esp her, but I think it was good. We all predicted a UF rout. I think she might have been doing shots of grain.

Anyway, we agreed to meet at the stadium and catch the game. I forgot to bring my cell phone because it hadn't yet been invented. I learned afterward that she'd passed out and he had to take her home to comfort her and do assorted other things. When I pressed him about the assorted other things, he declined to respond. I was left to my imagination. We're still good friends.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Wilbur made a lot of money that day (from the Bears when he was drafted). Remember the rubber match in LA. We tied them. Weird game and on probation NO TV...........damn it

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The big difference is Spurrier ain't walking through the door to save us this time.

No, he is just sitting down the hallway this time, and it is beyond quite obvious at this point that the dumbass in charge of the football program does not consult him whatsoever.

image_handler.aspx

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it seems like a waste having that kind of talent and energy go to waste. The guy has to have some sort of imagination about the AD approaching him to ask, would you mind filling in for two or three seasons while we figure out what the f*ck we need to do to get this right? He'd call Strong to become his DC and director of recruiting at a solid seven figure sum, assemble other good coaches around him and within a year we'd be back on track. I absolutely know we would.

The Gator Nation would be stunned, in a good way.

I know, it isn't going to happen, of course it isn't. But tell me that this board wouldn't be jacked to have that kind of energized scenario develop.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, it seems like a waste having that kind of talent and energy go to waste. The guy has to have some sort of imagination about the AD approaching him to ask, would you mind filling in for two or three seasons while we figure out what the f*ck we need to do to get this right? He'd call Strong to become his DC and director of recruiting at a solid seven figure sum, assemble other good coaches around him and within a year we'd be back on track. I absolutely know we would.

The Gator Nation would be stunned, in a good way.

I know, it isn't going to happen, of course it isn't. But tell me that this board wouldn't be jacked to have that kind of energized scenario develop.
Cannot like this enough. Frankly its exactly the "outside the box" solution we need to give this program a shot in the arm and get this thing headed in the right direction.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
No offense, D-78, but that's not entirely accurate. Aside from Emmitt, Hall was a crappy recruiter, which is why our record went from sterling immediately after recruiter extraordinaire Pell's ouster to what it was five years later.

I'm not saying we were devoid of talent; we weren't. But SOS virtually had to perform magic to get what he got out of the 1990 team, esp at QB.
The 87/88 recruiting class were awesome, most of the starters on the 90/91 title teams were from those classes, it wasn't just SOS magic, he had good players.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
So their college film is showing proper route running and fighting for 50/50 balls on a regular basis? Which college film are you watching. Just look at the SEC Championship game, receivers running the wrong routes, and not fighting for 50/50 balls. Watch the UMASS film same thing. It's consistent, and it's coaching.
We are talking about freshmen and Sophomores here. Yeah that BETTER Improve, but the Fullwood Class has shown to be garbage.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are talking about freshmen and Sophomores here. Yeah that BETTER Improve, but the Fullwood Class has shown to be garbage.

And route trees are taught in middle school. Spurrier would come out to the UF football camp with Dwayne Dixon and teach kids the route tree. If kids 7-14 could learn proper routes and breaks, shouldn't college students?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator