Are We the New Tennessee?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
2009 was the last time we were a competent team. We hired a disaster who screwed us after Meyer. We followed that up with yet another disaster that may end up proving even more detrimental long term. I see a lot of parallels with kiffin/Dooley/butch.

What's everyone's take on this?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I said again and again during our cosch search that we don't have the option to go cheap or we will be UT and waste another decade of football.

Instead Foley tried again to be Alabama and hired another Saban assistant even though they rarely work out.

Mac isn't built for this level and as much as I dislike him, this is still all on Foley

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
2009 was the last time we were a competent team. We hired a disaster who screwed us after Meyer. We followed that up with yet another disaster that may end up proving even more detrimental long term. I see a lot of parallels with kiffin/Dooley/butch.

Unfortunately it looks that way until MAC proves me wrong. IMO, we had our guy (meyer) we should have been willing to pay him a contract extension he couldn't refuse... something outrageous that no one could turn down. But we let him slip away and we've fallen dearly because of it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
These past seven years have reminded me just how difficult it is to make the perfect hiring decision. When Muschamp was hired, most of us applauded. Same for Mac, though with more reservation. It's not like marquee names are growing on trees. You have to be able to cash in on some level of risk in order to succeed, and that's the tricky part. It's easier said than done.

Look back at Spurrier and Meyer and realize just how lucky we were. We're a tremendously attractive football destination and yet there are no guarantees. Also realize we've made one sure mistake and are building evidence on another. Three strikes and you're out.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

No but we could be. I've been around long enough and watched the rise and fall of enough programs to know that after a successful run and loss of a great coach it often take two or even three tries to get another one. Take your shot at a promising hire. But for goodness sake if the hire becomes a dumpster fire move on.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No but we could be. I've been around long enough and watched the rise and fall of enough programs to know that after a successful run and loss of a great coach it often take two or even three tries to get another one. Take your shot at a promising hire. But for goodness sake if the hire becomes a dumpster fire move on.
Was there anything promising about Mac as an HC? Honestly?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not really. Saban assistant, alleged offensive mind, SEC experienced, and here are the dice. Go roll 'em.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Was there anything promising about Mac as an HC? Honestly?

I didn't. Not for one minute. But others did. I'm no football genius. What I do have is years of watching how programs can screw up. I have no clue how to judge how promising a coach is, with the possible exception of a few who you would have to throw 10 mil a year at.

And with that said. Given that the lesser known coaches are more likely to fail and require still more buy outs, it might be smarter to bite the bullet, spend the money and get a relatively sure thing.

God I picked the wrong profession.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
A stuffed scarecrow on a stick is just as effective as Mac on the sidelines. He would have kept Del Rio in the game too.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A stuffed scarecrow on a stick is just as effective as Mac on the sidelines. He would have kept Del Rio in the game too.

:lmao2: Thanks man, I needed something to briefly raise my spirits... short lived, but effective.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
3d557297e452792f670f6a70670061de.jpg

We're about this far apart.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Whoa now, pump your brakes...we have a lonnnnnggg way to go before we get there...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The fact is these outrageous contracts hold schools hostage. Why the hell should we give a huge buyout to someone like Mac, who had won nothing? Or Muschamp, who had no head coaching experience at all? I understand that's just "the way it is", but until that changes a bad hire can literally ruin a football program for a decade or more.

Only proven coaches should be offered these huge-buyout contracts. Even the smaller schools are giving millions away like candy to these bums.

What real incentive does a coach have to produce knowing that he gets millions for failing?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's a great analogy.... Although UT got about a 6-8 year head start on us.

At least w/ Butch Jones they got a head coach who had been the head coach at 2 other D1 schools and had 6 years of head coaching experience before he was hired. We got a dud who had just barely a .500 coaching record in three years.

I said after our last class, that is was good - but not great.....very similar class as what Jones has done at UT.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The fact is these outrageous contracts hold schools hostage. Why the hell should we give a huge buyout to someone like Mac, who had won nothing? Or Muschamp, who had no head coaching experience at all? I understand that's just "the way it is", but until that changes a bad hire can literally ruin a football program for a decade or more.

Only proven coaches should be offered these huge-buyout contracts. Even the smaller schools are giving millions away like candy to these bums.

What real incentive does a coach have to produce knowing that he gets millions for failing?

PREACH IT, BROTHER!!!!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Agree but competition is what is driving these huge contracts. If we don't offer the same, why would any coach sign with us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator