Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
... Will be an especially bad day for Crete..:lol:
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're in far better shape than they are going into this season. Their defense was atrocious last year and there's just no reason to think that they will be anything better than average if even that on defense this year. Their offense is depleted of it's most talented players in Allen, Henry, Collins, Morgan and a couple of very good offensive linemen. It will take their replacements half of the season or more to develop into serviceable players in their offensive scheme, in fact their best offensive player looks to be their one returning TE, Jeremy Sprinkle.
Although many on this board will disagree, BB is actually a pretty good coach but it takes the kind of players that Arky gets a couple of years to develop and this just isn't going to be one of those years where everything comes together for them. In fact their best chance may be the weather,....yeah it can get ****ty cold and icy there at that time of the year...
If I were to call it right now I'd say were probably 14-17 point winners in this game.

14-17 point winners? That's hilarious! Our offense barely averaged that many in SEC play and we're going to WIN by that much? Wow!

I agree that BB is a good coach. Other than the money, I'm not sure why he took that job. You say they need half the season or more to develop into serviceable players....well, we play them after 3/4th of the season. So.....will they be serviceable? We have our own problems on Offense. This game could be 20-14 or something along those lines (either way).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
14-17 point winners? That's hilarious! Our offense barely averaged that many in SEC play and we're going to WIN by that much? Wow!

I agree that BB is a good coach. Other than the money, I'm not sure why he took that job. You say they need half the season or more to develop into serviceable players....well, we play them after 3/4th of the season. So.....will they be serviceable? We have our own problems on Offense. This game could be 20-14 or something along those lines (either way).
Their defense was soooo bad last year that BB had his OC Enos, go completely pass happy just to try and keep up with the other teams scoring. I mean they didn't even look like they had any DB's on the field the way teams threw on them. I don't see them being able to correct that mess in one years time. Our defense should be able to hold their offense in check....They really don't have any play makers on that side of the ball, and it's not like they got any stellar recruits who will be huge difference makers in their first year. We'll have enough on both sides of the ball to win.....I'm not silly enough to base anything on Spring games but I watched some of theirs last weekend and lets just say they have a lot of work head of them.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We play at Arkansas the week after the Coctail Party.

They Have a buy week the week before the game.

This could be an interesting trap game.

Hitting the Sauce a little early Homer? ;)

I think we will be alright but then again, what do I know.

:bananadance2:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
BB is actually a pretty good coach

I don't disagree; however, I don't think he will ever have what he needs at Arkansas to make his system work. I honestly believe he should have stayed in the Big 10 or Wisconsin...or at least waited till a job like LSU or Georgia or something opened that would allow him to get the type of players he need on a consistent basis.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree; however, I don't think he will ever have what he needs at Arkansas to make his system work. I honestly believe he should have stayed in the Big 10 or Wisconsin...or at least waited till a job like LSU or Georgia or something opened that would allow him to get the type of players he need on a consistent basis.

Rumor is that the AD keeps trying to be the HC at Wisconsin... has driven a few coaches off already. It might have been a move about being in a different work place. I think he is a guy who needs a specific system and specific guys needs to out talent most of his competition... Not going to happen at Arkansas.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Living just a few hours from Fayetteville, I am planning to make it over to the game. Haven't gotten to attend a Gator game live in a while, so I sure hope I get to enjoy it!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's no doubt that we have more talented players than AR. The two biggest questions of the game are: 1) Will this team be somewhat healthy? and 2) Will the team show up to play after beating UGA the week prior?

If the answer is yes to both, then we win by multiple scores. If only one of those is a yes, then it will be a close game. If both are no, then I think we may lose. Hopefully Coach Mac will have them motivated and ready to play and also that this team will be healthy.

I wouldn't worry about the health issue as much if 1/3 of our LB's weren't made of glass.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I
Rumor is that the AD keeps trying to be the HC at Wisconsin... has driven a few coaches off already. It might have been a move about being in a different work place. I think he is a guy who needs a specific system and specific guys needs to out talent most of his competition... Not going to happen at Arkansas.
Alvarez is a control freak from what most say.....I don't necessarily agree about him needing more talented players than his competition to beat them though if that's what you meant. He did win 3 straight Big 10 titles at Wisc. and there's no way they out recruit Michigan or OSU. Now As far as winning in the SEC West goes yes he will probably never have enough quality players at the same time to win a title. I see him more as a guy who will have a good year every second or third year(if he keeps his job that long) because of the time it takes to develop players as opposed to getting 4 and 5 stars dropped on your doorstep like a Bama or LSU does.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I

Alvarez is a control freak from what most say.....I don't necessarily agree about him needing more talented players than his competition to beat them though if that's what you meant. He did win 3 straight Big 10 titles at Wisc. and there's no way they out recruit Michigan or OSU. Now As far as winning in the SEC West goes yes he will probably never have enough quality players at the same time to win a title. I see him more as a guy who will have a good year every second or third year(if he keeps his job that long) because of the time it takes to develop players as opposed to getting 4 and 5 stars dropped on your doorstep like a Bama or LSU does.

He won those titles against questionable Michigan and Ohio State teams.

2010 7-1 in conference play Lost to the only two teams who were ranked at the end of the season they played (Ohio State #5 place was vacated)
2011 6-2 in conference play Beat Nebraska (final rank #24) and the rematch with Michigan State (final Rank #10/#11)
2012 4-4 in conference play Beat Nebraska (final rank #23/25)

Lets not get to happy about those three B10 championships when the big dogs in the conference were on the down swing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He won those titles against questionable Michigan and Ohio State teams.

2010 7-1 in conference play Lost to the only two teams who were ranked at the end of the season they played (Ohio State #5 place was vacated)
2011 6-2 in conference play Beat Nebraska (final rank #24) and the rematch with Michigan State (final Rank #10/#11)
2012 4-4 in conference play Beat Nebraska (final rank #23/25)

Lets not get to happy about those three B10 championships when the big dogs in the conference were on the down swing.

This is a joke, right?

So...UF won the East last year when the Division was "down" (UGA fired their coach, Tenn sh*t the bed vs us, Missouri went 2-6 in SEC play)...we lost to the only good team we played, LSU. So it doesn't count? Or how about 2008? How good was the SEC? And we lost at home to a crap Ole Miss team! We can play that game all day long. Winning a conference title IS a big deal and winning it THREE times is 3x's as big of a deal. The ACC champ last year gave the SEC champ all they wanted...and the ACC champ beat the SEC champ just a few years ago to win the NC...and the ACC is widely recognized as the worst P5 conference. That's like saying "he only won the championship w/ the old coaches players..." (when a new/newer coach wins a title; such as Meyer at Florida in 2006 - how many times did we hear "He won with Zook's players!"). Winning is winning....and it doesn't matter what level or conference you are in.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a joke, right?

So...UF won the East last year when the Division was "down" (UGA fired their coach, Tenn sh*t the bed vs us, Missouri went 2-6 in SEC play)...we lost to the only good team we played, LSU. So it doesn't count? Or how about 2008? How good was the SEC? And we lost at home to a crap Ole Miss team! We can play that game all day long. Winning a conference title IS a big deal and winning it THREE times is 3x's as big of a deal. The ACC champ last year gave the SEC champ all they wanted...and the ACC champ beat the SEC champ just a few years ago to win the NC...and the ACC is widely recognized as the worst P5 conference. That's like saying "he only won the championship w/ the old coaches players..." (when a new/newer coach wins a title; such as Meyer at Florida in 2006 - how many times did we hear "He won with Zook's players!"). Winning is winning....and it doesn't matter what level or conference you are in.

Who said it didn't count? No one is jumping for joy over us winning a down East Division last year either, it was nice but it was a down year in the East for the reasons you said. For those kids it is special, but they weren't playing for any National Titles either, because they were in a down conference.

obvious you didn't read the context of the previous statement. I said he needed better talent to win. He had that when he won, he isn't going to get that at Arkansas. The two powerhouses of the B10 that Crete brought up were in down swings. It's called context BMF. CONTEXT. A good to great coach can win games with lesser talent, on their ability to coach alone. You jumped into a conversation without understanding the context of the early parts of the discussion, or you just didn't care about them.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Who said it didn't count? No one is jumping for joy over us winning a down East Division last year either, it was nice but it was a down year in the East for the reasons you said. For those kids it is special, but they weren't playing for any National Titles either, because they were in a down conference.

obvious you didn't read the context of the previous statement. I said he needed better talent to win. He had that when he won, he isn't going to get that at Arkansas. The two powerhouses of the B10 that Crete brought up were in down swings. It's called context BMF. CONTEXT. A good to great coach can win games with lesser talent, on their ability to coach alone. You jumped into a conversation without understanding the context of the early parts of the discussion, or you just didn't care about them.

I didn't care!! J/K - I do agree w/ you that he'll need more talent there....and he's not going to get it. I mentioned earlier that - other than money - I'm not sure why he took that job. I understand him leaving Wisconsin because of Alvarez's intrusions...but he could have taken an ACC job and made similar money and had much more success. For him to win 8 games in the West is going to be a fight. He needs veteran teams (lots of Juniors and Seniors) to even have a 7-5 type of season. Unless Ole Miss and/or Miss State fall off, he's fighting for 4th place in that Division every year...3rd if he's has some luck come his way.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't care!! J/K - I do agree w/ you that he'll need more talent there....and he's not going to get it. I mentioned earlier that - other than money - I'm not sure why he took that job. I understand him leaving Wisconsin because of Alvarez's intrusions...but he could have taken an ACC job and made similar money and had much more success. For him to win 8 games in the West is going to be a fight. He needs veteran teams (lots of Juniors and Seniors) to even have a 7-5 type of season. Unless Ole Miss and/or Miss State fall off, he's fighting for 4th place in that Division every year...3rd if he's has some luck come his way.

I expect for Mississippi State to be down this year again. They need a particular type of quarterback, and from what limited we saw of the guy behind prescot he isn't it. But it's Mississippi State Mullen can hang onto that job for a little while with his limited success. Mississippi is a wild card, I'm not a fan of their coach. I think he is a very one sided coach (offense), his scheme exploits the issues that Alabama has had with the deep ball. Like Mississippi state you take the one thing they do well, they become a really bad team (see the UF game last year, or Memphis).

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
t
He did win 3 straight Big 10 titles at Wisc. and there's no way they out recruit Michigan or OSU.

In all fairness those were before Urbs got to OSU...2012 was when Urbs was there but they were ineligible...Wisconsin that year had 6 losses and was 4-4 in the Big 10...

Hoke and Fickel weren't exactly world beaters at OSU and Mich either...I don't think Bert would sniff another title there now with the improved coaching and teams in the Big 10 and likely won't ever sniff one in the SEC

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t

In all fairness those were before Urbs got to OSU...2012 was when Urbs was there but they were ineligible...Wisconsin that year had 6 losses and was 4-4 in the Big 10...

Hoke and Fickel weren't exactly world beaters at OSU and Mich either...I don't think Bert would sniff another title there now with the improved coaching and teams in the Big 10 and likely won't ever sniff one in the SEC
True, Urb's and Harbaugh have changed the face of Big Ten football not only with their coaching ability but also their recruiting tactics. Bert probably won't win any titles in the SEC but it's funny to watch him take Less Miles and Hugh Freeze behind the woodshed almost every time he plays them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator