Attendance down for college football

Jun 2, 2015
No offense but honestly how could you tell at a UM game?

You can check, but we had a bit over 58,000 average attendance this past year yes, some of them may have been give-a-ways) which isn't bad for a small private school with around 12,000 under grads vs. 40,000 to 50,000 or so for UF, FSU, etc. Based on our horrible record,however, I expect a drastic drop in attendance this year.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can check, but we had a bit over 58,000 average attendance this past year yes, some of them may have been give-a-ways) which isn't bad for a small private school with around 12,000 under grads vs. 40,000 to 50,000 or so for UF, FSU, etc. Based on our horrible record,however, I expect a drastic drop in attendance this year.
:lmao2:

Holeee foook. Surely you dont believe that.

You realize those numbers include the tickets they gave away to the boys club and anyone else who would take a ticket, right?

it was a good game when you guys could fill the first three rows.

Last edited:

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I figured the numbers were inflated...even our crowds were sparse at times

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
hi-res-b68d5dd7fe95087139313077d5826062_crop_north.jpg

Can’t get much lower than this.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years

What do you feel attributes to this. Accessibility of games on TV, people tired of Alabama ruling, cost of tickets and donation requirements, etc. ??

Multiple factors. Highest among them, IMO, is a mix of declining product quality combined with declining value in the eyes of fans. On the first point, you can look at UF suffering the lost decade, UM trying to claim it is 'back' and failing to do so, and F$U finding new ways to be worse than the previous week. And that's just FL. Traditional powerhouses like NEB, ND, MICH, and even ALA are all down overall - and no, I wouldn't say we are reaching parity with other schools climbing to their historical levels..all programs aren't as great as they once were. At best, you have CLEM holding serve regularly, tOSU and ALA competing in the CFP, and everyone else is an also ran.

For the second part, consider this the onset of Millenial form of dementia...the populace, on average, cares about me-me-me and instant gratification over any strong ties to a school Being an alum means you wear the colors, maybe. But going to a game? Fuhgetabout. Instead, I'll just check the scores later, or at most flip thru the game from some microbrewery bar setting.

Subsequent graduating classes are showing us they simply aren't as die-hard tied to their school as we were, it's part of the general mindset. Compounded with football programs that don't galvanize the stadium experience with exciting matchups and plays, you have a steady decline in interest that is showing more and more.

TV will continue to get eyeballs, but people willing to give up their time and money to actually go to a game, not happening. Too inconvenient. And for what? They just don't value the experience like we did/do.

Jun 2, 2015
:lmao2:

Holeee foook. Surely you dont believe that.

You realize those numbers include the tickets they gave away to the boys club and anyone else who would take a ticket, right?

it was a good game when you guys could fill the first three rows.

SD, I admitted the give-aways, just don't know the exact number. Even if we ended up with 35,000 paid tickets, that's not a bad turn out for a small university. A big number of our grads are from the NE, mainly NY and upon graduation, return to their home area. We also have a large number of international students.
Again, it is great for us that attendance doesn't win football games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SD, I admitted the give-aways, just don't know the exact number. Even if we ended up with 35,000 paid tickets...,.
Id be SHOCKED if you were anywhere near that. You struggled to even out 10,000 asses in the seats. Im not sure I saw a game where it appeared you succeeded.

Fantasy stats re attendance are funny. You guys probably get sent to the Sunbelt soon.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
That probably isnt 5800.

FIU has many times the attendance.

Can you stick to the freaking question she asked? This isn't a "Hey, lets bash the Canes since our lone Cane member asked a question!" It was about football overall and declining attendance, in case you missed that bit.

I get that you're an ass, but c'mon man, don't you have anything ON TOPIC to offer the discussion? Or is shting on things all you are capable of?

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I get that you're an ass, but c'mon man, don't you have anything ON TOPIC to offer the discussion? Or is shting on things all you are capable of?

He's done this for so long, it is now absolutely automatic.. Sometimes I have to wonder of he even realizes it..

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The shortened version from what I said in the thread about the Swamp: every game is on TV, and it's WAY cheaper, easier, and more comfortable to watch from home than to go to games. Until the in-stadium experience and comfort level increase drastically across the board, attendance levels won't recover.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I find it hilarious that their reaponse to dwindling ticket sales is to raise the price.

:flush:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Well I paid my fcknn dues over the years from Ray Graves to Dickey and on I must have sat in the stands watching them 200 times. You younger fckss just dont have the passion and gator love like we did in the day.........but then again we embraced mediocrity...........
Mr_Two_Bits.jpg

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years

What do you feel attributes to this. Accessibility of games on TV, people tired of Alabama ruling, cost of tickets and donation requirements, etc. ??

The answer to your question is yes.
That is, the reasons are all the ones you listed.

I can stay home and:
- Have a view from the 50 yard line
- Watch/check in on 2-3 other games simultaneously
- See all the good games that day in the other time slots
- Eat and drink whatever I want at reasonable prices
- Have access to a clean bathroom
- Have a comfortable seat with wifi and all other amenities
- The only cost is the food and drink

I can go to a game and:
- Sit either on row 70 or in the endzone
- Not see any other game on during the gator game
- Miss all or most of the days games either commuting to/from or tailgating
- Only eat or drink what is offered at ridiculous prices in the stadium
- We all get the bathroom thing at the swamp
- Sit on a bleacher with a fat guy hanging on me and some a-holes knees in my back
- Total cost for two people at one game is approximately $200 minimum.

And beyond this there is the whole thing about a diminished product on the field that are typically addressed with price increases every other year.

Other than that, the drop in attendance is a mystery.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Even some scrotUM fans know there is a difference between announced attendance and actual attendance. The only 2 explanations for the scrotUM numbers are: !0% of what they actually announce (as Law alluded to) or the number they announce is actually correct and almost everyone is dressed in their empty seat attire!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well I paid my fcknn dues over the years from Ray Graves to Dickey and on I must have sat in the stands watching them 200 times. You younger fckss just dont have the passion and gator love like we did in the day.........but then again we embraced mediocrity...........
Mr_Two_Bits.jpg
:law::law::nono::nono::rabbi::rabbi::pe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator