Aussie punter enrolling early

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thoughts? Really interested in thoughts on having an Aussie punter.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The Gators Breakdown crew seemed to think he'd be just fine. Enrolling early will really help him learn technique.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Its a little scary that he has trained in american football but hasn't actually played the game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just tell him kick the shyt out of the ball. oh, and don't let anyone block it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
reminds me of Garo from LONG ago............

Big difference between a place kicker and a punter.

Anybody who can kick can be a place kicker. Garo, Jan Stenerude, Morten Anderson, etc. Tons of soccer players have excelled as place kickers.

A punter is a football player. First, he has to catch the ball. Hand-eye coordination. Then he has to drop it and punt it. More coordination. He’s not just swinging at a stationary object (after the holder turned the laces out or after carefully placing it just so on a tee).

Place kickers often have to perform under immense pressure. I’m not dismissing their contributions.

My point is a non-football player can easily become a great place kicker (as many have) but a punter needs to be a football player too.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A punter is a football player. First, he has to catch the ball. Hand-eye coordination. Then he has to drop it and punt it. More coordination.
You think it tales more coordination to catch and drop the ball than kick a college FG?

Soccer players punt, goalies more though.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Big difference between a place kicker and a punter.

I did both in HS. Never missed a FG. Had two punts blocked in one game but that was the only two.
My point was basically two foreigners playing American football have the capacity to really screw up when
out of their element.

You think it tales more coordination to catch and drop the ball than kick a college FG?
I think so. But imagine the old drop kick. I learned out to do that when I was young. But the ball was rounder on the end when they did it years ago.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Soccer players punt, goalies more though.

Yes, that’s what I said.

Every now and then you see a punter make a TD saving tackle on the punt return guy.

Converted soccer players trying to tackle on a kickoff return...that’s just comedy gold.

Or Garo trying to throw the ball in the Super Bowl :facepalm:

Alex.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes, that’s what I said.

Every now and then you see a punter make a TD saving tackle on the punt return guy.

Converted soccer players trying to tackle on a kickoff return...that’s just comedy gold.

Or Garo trying to throw the ball in the Super Bowl :facepalm:

Alex.
Ray Guy was/is an outstanding athlete. Excellent college safety and a good pitcher. At some stage he had a great pitching duel with a man who became a quite well known pitcher. Thought the NFL would practice him as a backup safety and save a roster spot. I believe he once held the record for the longest college field goal.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Big time pick up on our way to a top 5 ranking.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Too late. Ive already been convinced he has no chance of catching a snap or dropping the ball to his foot.

Nice try though.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You old AF, Corch.

From Popular Mechanics, "The Evolution of the Football":

In 1935, the NFL shortened the ball's short axis to between 21-1/4 and 21-1/2 in. The ball's length was shortened that year to between 11 and 11-1/4 in., and the amount of air that it could hold was set at 12.5 to 13.5 psi. Its long axis of 28 to 28-1/2 in., however, did not change. These dimensions remain today, as does the ball's shape, which has been called a "prolate spheroid" since 1890.
My neighbor who was OAF (and just died) taught me with a very old leather football. Wish I still had it. It was much more round than what we played with in HS

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
coach was po and used footballs that were so old he had worn the points off of them.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Back in coaches day they kicked footballs so hard they turned them into basketballs. Must have been all the walking up hill in the snow both ways to school that made their legs so strong.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Back in coaches day they kicked footballs so hard they turned them into basketballs. Must have been all the walking up hill in the snow both ways to school that made their legs so strong.
I figured coach rode a horse to school. Probably single classroom building.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Corch used to play with an inflated pig bladder. only rich Yankees had an actual football.

it was truly a pigskin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator