Austin Appleby to enroll at UF

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
That throw did not impress me at all. No pass rush, wide open receiver and ball is underthrown with the receiver having to stop to catch it. Yes, I know, better than Treon, but this wasn't a confidence building highlight.

I was posting it because of the arm strength. It was with ease he flicked it 55 yards, don't act like you're not impressed.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

That wasn't a great throw by a long stretch. It went pretty far is about all you can say for it.

Neither Mac nor Nussmeier worked with a big playmaker at Bama and I'm not sure they think they need one here. They just need someone to protect the ball, make the throws when needed and continue running the balanced attack. Del Rio is probably that man next season.
Nussmeier's track record is highly suspect. I'm not sure how we would know what he needs to run a successful offense. His claim to fame is being put in a job that was on cruise control surrounded by the best players in the country at almost every position and told not to screw it up.

But given more autonomy at programs with far fewer blue chippers but still very solid squads, he produced offenses that ranked near or dead last in his conference and embarrassingly close to last in the entire FBS. I wonder if UM fans and players were thinking, damn, why'd we let that guy go, during the Citrus Bowl?

I hope he turns out to be better than his record looks, but he should be on a short leash and have next year to get it right. If the O sucks again and Mac needs to find a new OC that's going to be a very familiar and crappy scenario. Let's hope Mac is right about Nuss because I'm not sold.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, this guy has as good of a chance at starting next year as anyone on the roster. He wouldn't have transferred if he didn't think he had a realistic chance.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, this guy has as good of a chance at starting next year as anyone on the roster. He wouldn't have transferred if he didn't think he had a realistic chance.
Makes you wonder if new Mexico state has a back up qb we could bring in to compete with this guy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We was just getting ripped on the chuck Oliver show for taking qb transfers from Vandy and purdue.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
There's an interesting article from 2013 called "So you're starting a true freshman quarterback..." by Matt Hinton at footballstudyhall.

He found that in the prior five years, from the six power conferences, only six true freshman quarterbacks that started a majority of their teams' games finished that season with an average (or slightly better than average) QB ranking. That's Terrelle Pryor (Ohio State, 8-2), RGIII (Baylor 4-7), Braxton Miller (Ohio State 4-6), Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville 5-5), Matt Barkley (USCW 9-3), and Perry Hills( Maryland 4-3.) Note the win-loss records.

Hinton goes to write:

So basically 100% of other 21 true freshman QBs who were thrown to the wolves didn't learn and progress from starting prematurely, they were instead (by inference) traumatized by the experience and NEVER BECAME QUALITY PLAYERS.

That's what the data says about your "why not get (Franks) meaningful snaps" question/hypothesis. if Del Rio manages to be average, that's likely to be much better for the Gators, and for Franks too.

You are of course entitled to have your own opinion. But coaches usually go with the odds.
I can name 2 Qb's that played at UF their Fr year and panned out just fine Leak, and Tebow played meaningful snaps both won us a championship as well. I'm not saying he should start but get him snaps to get a feel for the game

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can name 2 Qb's that played at UF their Fr year and panned out just fine Leak, and Tebow played meaningful snaps both won us a championship as well. I'm not saying he should start but get him snaps to get a feel for the game

I can name another one, Kerwin Bell.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
When Tebow walked out the door, it's like he took the soul of the football program with him. Maybe it was the price to pay for having one of the greatest players of all time.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Ok serious question, No way treon stays here if he loses QB job next year, right?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Ok serious question, No way treon stays here if he loses QB job next year, right?
It depends. If he wants to take the long shot at playing next level ball his only chance is to change positions and take full advantage of his remaining eligibility. So really losing any chance at playing QB at UF and changing positions would be the best reason for him to stay if the coaches think he projects at another position and can offer him playing time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.