Austin Armstrong Strategy And Execution Against UT

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I thought this deserved its own thread. In the game thread, there is a lot of discussion about UT/Heupel choosing to run the ball so much, run clock, or not trusting Milton. I think it was something else that "forced" the run. It was a Muhammed Ali level rope-a-dope strategy by Austin Armstrong that simply knew UT did not have tendencies, they had dogmatic rules of how they will call plays.

While I was initial perplexed by Princely bailing from the box playing out wide in coverage so much early, AA seemed to know something that dictated the game. If he played a 5 or 6 man box, UT would run. Period. Their count the box formula was immovable. So, the entire game, but particularly the second half, AA just baited Heupel into running over and over again to the point of UT having a drive of about 6 minutes to open the half. He had to be laughing that Heuple just could not move off his formula. It was not until their last two drives of the game that they started to move away from their "rules". Even in the penultimate drive, they still ran it some.

To bait them that way, though was a huge risk. It absolutely required that our DT's held their own and our LB's filed holes so that even if we gave up yards with a frequent 5 man box (typically an insane approach to a team averaging 200+ ypg rushing). And, we did give up yards, but it baited UT into giving up the game.

Our DT's and Etienne deserve steak and lobster all week, as they were the story of the game to me. Everyone else played well, but that group were the unquestioned stars in my mind that allowed AA and his great Heupel rope-a-dope to succeed.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this deserved its own thread. In the game thread, there is a lot of discussion about UT/Heupel choosing to run the ball so much, run clock, or not trusting Milton. I think it was something else that "forced" the run. It was a Muhammed Ali level rope-a-dope strategy by Austin Armstrong that simply knew UT did not have tendencies, they had dogmatic rules of how they will call plays.

While I was initial perplexed by Princely bailing from the box playing out wide in coverage so much early, AA seemed to know something that dictated the game. If he played a 5 or 6 man box, UT would run. Period. Their count the box formula was immovable. So, the entire game, but particularly the second half, AA just baited Heupel into running over and over again to the point of UT having a drive of about 6 minutes to open the half. He had to be laughing that Heuple just could not move off his formula. It was not until their last two drives of the game that they started to move away from their "rules". Even in the penultimate drive, they still ran it some.

To bait them that way, though was a huge risk. It absolutely required that our DT's held their own and our LB's filed holes so that even if we gave up yards with a frequent 5 man box (typically an insane approach to a team averaging 200+ ypg rushing). And, we did give up yards, but it baited UT into giving up the game.

Our DT's and Etienne deserve steak and lobster all week, as they were the story of the game to me. Everyone else played well, but that group were the unquestioned stars in my mind that allowed AA and his great Heupel rope-a-dope to succeed.
Well said.

The D - Line did a great job tonight. Night and day from last year. Florida's D - Line controlled the LOS with just
a 4 man front (plus Princely).

Well played by AA. If he keeps this up, we won't have him for very long. I wonder if Jeff Collins is still available...

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
3 games in, facing legit ops in 2 of them for this defense to only be allowing 15 ppg is an amazing job by all involved

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Well said.

The D - Line did a great job tonight. Night and day from last year. Florida's D - Line controlled the LOS with just

Well played by AA. If he keeps this up, we won't have him for very long. I wonder if Jeff Collins is still available...
A few more Jeff Collins post and the donkey will be cash apping ox 60 bucks.

Last edited:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I'm totally sold on Armstrong. In 3 games he's completely overhauled the defense in a way I did not think was possible.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

I don't know if we have the talent to just dominate a team like UT on D just yet, so he basically just said "fine you can get your yards and maybe ever score but it's going to take you a long time to do it"

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Well said.

Pay the man

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

muhammadali GIF by Klarity

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
OP, I was thinking Tenn’s QB couldn’t pass. He was throwing uncatchable balls. Their running often was perplexing, but maybe they were trying to bring our secondary in close so they could pass. But with the run game was failing so they were stuck, thankfully, without the offense they needed.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dunno, I was growing pretty fond of our DBs playing 15 yards off the ball on 3rd and 10 under Grantham. This new stuff will take some getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.