Gator Basketball B-Ball Transfers: Stone, Okauru, and Ballard

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It hasn't been a good year for the basketball program and it has been a steady decline these past few years since our magical ELITE 8 run. We are at 17-13 and 9-8 in conference but soon to be 17-14 and 9-9 after we lose @UK on Saturday. White seems to be in over his head and is a horrible coach as many have expressed on these very boards and looks to be a bad hire. We have a top 5 class coming in and 4 seniors graduating so we will have an all new and unknown team. Many on these boards say we will have the same season as this one and be around 17-15 again and NIT bound. Do we cut White loose after this season or do we give him another year to see what our new team of hot freshman and sophs can do? Can we add another big man through recruiting or transfer? All indications point to Okaru and Ballard transferring out as they don't get much playing time and haven't produced when in the game. Gak is still injured and it doesn't look like he will play again according to how Mick Hubert and Mark Wise talk on the Gator Radio Network. Stokes can't put down cheeseburgers and has yet to learn how to play defense. Do we ride it out with White and see how we do or just cut our losses now? Who are some coaches that would be on our list to right the ship and help our basketball program ascend to the top once again? Go Gators!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No exuse for White next season with the last 2 classes.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Send emails to Scottie and ask him to do his job...............Good Luck, he won't do a thing other than send you a pandering response.
This is why I am trying to manage my expectations and except the fact that our glory days in basketball are behind us.

The good news is that there will always be lots of room for more gymnastics banners in the O'Connell Center/Exactech Arena/The house that Billy earned and Mike destroyed.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are some kind of real issues with the coaching staff. These kids just make too many bonehead plays. Simple things like spacing and boxing out are just lost on them. I think conditioning is probably an issue too.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Strick pulled the trigger on Mac pretty quick. Maybe he can get White to come up with some fake threats and then fire White too. Then we go get who we want and get the program back on track...

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
At a minimum, White gets next year to prove what he can do with a team that is all his players. Kevaughn, a BD recruit, was always an undersized shooting guard who would rather take a backseat to another leading scorer. Hudson should have always been a spark off of the bench, as he was streaky throughout his career. Hayes should have been an off the bench role player that you put in when the other team goes small, but was forced into starting service because UF couldn’t keep starting bigs healthy. That’s your senior class.

The three freshmen White brought in this year all have more leadership potential and consistent killer instinct than either Allen or Hudson do. If next year’s freshmen have a similar fire in their belly, it could be a good year. It will be one of the most talented groups of underclassmen UF has seen in a very long time, maybe ever.

I’m rooting for the team to extend the season as long as possible, to get these young freshmen as much postseason experience as possible, hoping that it will pay dividends next season. I’m just not ready to give up on this team or coaching staff before the end of next year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't matter about White's rating as a coach. Just get UF a good one, a program builder and a player developer. There's fun in winning while watching players & teammates grow - together. That should be UF basketball.... now, in 2019-2020. We could use some Wite-Out.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Too many missed opportunities or else we would be sitting with 22 wins and a top 5 seed. Instead its lots of heartbreak and anguish and a lost season. Just REALLY hope we are better next season. On another note, I like this no1g8r guy, he is taking up my mantle of pure optimism and reality pumperism. Great job! Love it!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hire Scott Drew away from Baylor immediately after his March Madness elimination

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are consistently out played, on the Court and sideline. I love my Gators but don't subject myself to the emotional trauma of watching this team.

I know, I know..... I'm a 'fair-weather" fan..........I don't care about tags anymore...

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
White will get next year but that will be it, may not even get a full year.

The losses are bad enough but the unentertaining brand of basketball kills any kind of fan support.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
When you shop at Dollar Tree and Dollar General, etc. you pretty much know what you get. If you shop at Ross Stores or TJ Maxx or Marshall's occasionally you stumble upon a super find. Now I know we will never shop at Nordstrom or Harrods or LVMH, but it would be nice for us to at least walk into a TJ's or Burlington every now and then!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
When you shop at Dollar Tree and Dollar General, etc. you pretty much know what you get. If you shop at Ross Stores or TJ Maxx or Marshall's occasionally you stumble upon a super find. Now I know we will never shop at Nordstrom or Harrods or LVMH, but it would be nice for us to at least walk into a TJ's or Burlington every now and then!

I see what you did there.....whether you planned on it or not.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I see what you did there.....whether you planned on it or not.

Unplanned, did not even realize it. Yes I know that Marshall had success at Winthrop and some very good years at Wichita, but I am not high on him. He needs great talent to win. He does not strike me as the type of coach whose teams play with high IQ and fundamentals. Speaking of that I found LSU to play with low IQ last nite and was not impressed with their coach. They have very good talent but I think they could flame out at any time. I don;t trust them but they are plenty good enough to make a run.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Speaking of that I found LSU to play with low IQ last nite and was not impressed with their coach. They have very good talent but I think they could flame out at any time. I don;t trust them but they are plenty good enough to make a run.

Agreed. We beat LSU at their place because they didn't take their offense inside where we could not defend against their bigs. Georgia beat us because they played in the paint with a big (Claxton) that we could not defend. LSU had a lead in the first half against us when they were taking the ball into the paint with bigs that we could not defend. They lost their lead in the 2nd half because they quit taking the ball inside. They would have been up on us by 15+ in the second half if they had continued taking the ball inside to score. But inexplicably, they stopped doing what was working for them, and gave UF a chance to beat them at the end of the game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lol the only coaches that meet firefoley standards are Brad Stevens and Tony Bennett

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Unplanned, did not even realize it. Yes I know that Marshall had success at Winthrop and some very good years at Wichita, but I am not high on him. He needs great talent to win. He does not strike me as the type of coach whose teams play with high IQ and fundamentals. Speaking of that I found LSU to play with low IQ last nite and was not impressed with their coach. They have very good talent but I think they could flame out at any time. I don;t trust them but they are plenty good enough to make a run.

I thought Marshall was in reference to where we "purchased" our best basketball coach ever from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.