Baseball question

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
This thread went from bad to downright sh*t. Well done, nerds. Well done.

FatGreenKagu-size_restricted.gif

but sorry, I am being a douche canoe. I will be better, I promise.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Well, I have to answer my own question. Same fair/foul question in today's Vandy/NC State game. And it is a non-reviewable play. This is astonishing! The college rule depends on the position of the third baseman, NOT ON THE POSITION OF THE THIRD BASE BAG!

Who knew?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Say the ball first strikes the ground 4 ft. short of third and 3 inches in fair territory, and next strkes the ground 6 ft past third but 3 inches foul, the umpire has to determine where the ball was when it passed over the base. Keeping in mind the line is in fair territory. If still confused, go to a youth game and ask. Everybody there is a umpire.
Apparently, not in college.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The foul lines and foul poles are used to demarcate fair territory and, thus, determine what constitutes a foul ball.

Any batted ball that first contacts a fielder while the ball is in foul territory is considered foul. If not touched by a fielder in fair territory, any batted ball that first contacts the field in foul territory beyond first or third base -- with the foul lines and foul poles counting as fair territory -- is considered foul. Batted balls that first contact the field between home plate and first or third base are considered foul if they don't subsequently bounce over or directly contact either base, otherwise pass either base while in fair territory, or ultimately settle at some point in fair territory between home plate and either base.

Batted balls that leave the park on a fly to the left of the left-field foul pole or to the right of the right-field foul pole -- without striking the pole in either case -- are considered foul.
Again, I knew rule as you did, but it's not the college rule.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I have to answer my own question. Same fair/foul question in today's Vandy/NC State game. And it is a non-reviewable play. This is astonishing! The college rule depends on the position of the third baseman, NOT ON THE POSITION OF THE THIRD BASE BAG!

Who knew?
That sounds like a sideline catch in football.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, from all the lawyer analysis of the college rule I surmise that a ball that bounces in fair territory (albeit close to line) in front of first or third, and is then caught by the baseman who is standing in foul territory (no matter the position or trajectory of the ball) it is therefore foul. Is that correct.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So, from all the lawyer analysis of the college rule I surmise that a ball that bounces in fair territory (albeit close to line) in front of first or third, and is then caught by the baseman who is standing in foul territory (no matter the position or trajectory of the ball) it is therefore foul. Is that correct.
That would be my understanding based on what the announcers said. This all depends on what they said on TV. Interestingly, the third base ump seemed to realized that he screwed up since ball bounced on the line by the third baseman. The home plate ump pointed to the mark and they started to wave the batter on to the field only to be told over the headset that the play was not reviewable and could not be reversed.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That would be my understanding based on what the announcers said. This all depends on what they said on TV. Interestingly, the third base ump seemed to realized that he screwed up since ball bounced on the line by the third baseman. The home plate ump pointed to the mark and they started to wave the batter on to the field only to be told over the headset that the play was not reviewable and could not be reversed.

That play was not reviewable, but if you had continued to listen, the original call could have been reversed. There is a part in the rulebook that says if it is deemed that an obvious mistake was made the ump(s) can make the correction. Fair/Foul is one of those that could be changed. the correct call would have been to rule the ball fair. Now where to place the runner might have come into question, 1st or 2nd base, b/c once you hear foul ball, I am sure the defense stopped. I think the correct call would have been fair ball and award the hitter 1st base. Changing the call was an option, reviewing was not.

BTW sux that NCST had to bow out. Watched their series with ARK and at the WS and they look like a young. talented team. Might see them again soon in Omaha. But they actually gave Vandy all they could handle with only 13 guys available and pitching 2 guys that had not pitched hardly at all.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
We are just here to object that the old man frim Mussippi, who has steadily been losing his faculties, seemed compelled to post a thread about Cowbell baseball on a Gator board.

All obiections are germane.
In view of this taunt from Donk and the fact that Mississippi State was my Dad's school, I am sure that my friends on GC will indulge me for posting that State just won the CWS.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In view of this taunt from Donk and the fact that Mississippi State was my Dad's school, I am sure that my friends on GC will indulge me for posting that State just won the CWS.

I had a great friend in Ocala who was a State grad and big baseball fan that passed away a few years ago. He went to a lot of Gator baseball games with me. In memory of Floyd ~ Hail State!! I am so glad that Vandy did not win!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator