Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I'd say Jit should be the first to be processed. He never should have been signed in the first place.
I thought his game was progressing nicely. He's the reason we didn't tank 7 straight games when Castleton went down with his injury. He's a big body that can eat up space, lean on other players, take fouls. He's got a soft shooting touch as well... just no conditioning. If he can learn to get up and down the court better, he's a keeper IMO. Great back up anyhow.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just think, now SEC basketball will hold for us extra joy = our wins and the games UGa lets slip away. Last year I wouldn't watch a single UGa game. Now, I won't miss a single one. No way did I think MWhite could add to my viewing pleasure, but he found a way. Is UGa thinking with White is a good way to put down UF.?
Wait 'til their inbound passes become turnovers and meaningless dribbling takes over.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was referring to roster management.

- Somebody has to play real defense.
- Somebody has to take the charge.
- Somebody has to set the key pick.

One of our MANY problems last season was that we had a collection of transfers that were scorers first that came to UF to prove they could be scorers in the SEC and nobody was satisfied with doing the ugly stuff that is critical of success. You are left with a team of shoot first clowns like Myreon Jones.

I don’t know how else to explain this to you.
I'm going to come back to this post for two reasons:

1. I'm a jerk that enjoys having fun at others' expense

2. This is the most wildly inaccurate statement made here since some knucklehead called TG a below average shooter, and the fact that anyone could come to this conclusion after watching us play last year clearly illustrates how horrific Mike White is at coaching basketball

This is what people were saying about our team last year before we started playing:

Florida gets defensive while rebuilding via transfer portal

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Florida might have its best defensive team in nearly a decade, an experienced group that seems to fit perfectly with coach Mike White’s style.

White added three defensive stalwarts via the NCAA transfer portal, led by two-time Big South defensive player of the year Phlandrous Fleming and Summit League defensive player of the year Brandon McKissic, to bolster a lineup the Gators believe will be able to compete in the stacked Southeastern Conference.

Throw in returning shot-blocker Colin Castleton and Boston College transfer CJ Felder, and the Gators could have their best collection of defenders since Scottie Wilbekin, Casey Prather, Will Yeguete and Patric Young ran roughshod through the league in 2014 and advanced to the Final Four.

“We have size, speed, mentality, which is one of the biggest things, and a chip on our shoulder,” Felder said. “We have guys with accolades, but we don’t care about the accolades. We just genuinely like playing defense and really give our best effort on that end of the floor.”

Really though this is a great reminder that for all of the warts we had last year, the biggest by far was Mike White and that imbecile is gone.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Wow. All defensive team at Missouri KC.

Sorry I missed the stats from his previous school, I was busy watching him at UF and I don’t recall him making the SEC all defensive team.

In addition I wasn’t aware that McKissic was going to be on the roster this year or I would have acknowledged him as a six foot lockdown defender that we can count on to guard the opponent’s best 2 or 3 even though he would be giving away a half foot of height.

Without Lane, who do you recommend we put on the opponent’s best perimeter player?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Rumor at On3 is that Auburn offered Johni Broome a huge NIL deal. The question is whether we match.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rumor at On3 is that Auburn offered Johni Broome a huge NIL deal. The question is whether we match.

Now that just depicts an ugly game. How are we supposed to gauge a player's love for his school.? Bought loyalty.?
Once a player signs with a school, can other schools keep offering better NILs.? -- like using the original school as his minor league development source.?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It's changed forever, and not for the better.
Yup. It's the wild west right now. Eventually they will have to find a way to add some regulation. The problem is who is "they". Even in professional sports you can't just bid as much as you want on player on an active roster (NIL) and have him come join your team whenever you want (transfer portal). Every professional sport has regulations related to when, who and for how much you can sign a player. You can't just decide you want Durrant, or Mahomes, or Ohtani and tell them "we can pay you more than your current team so here, put on our new jersey". But that's exactly the situation currently in college sports.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yup. It's the wild west right now. Eventually they will have to find a way to add some regulation. The problem is who is "they". Even in professional sports you can't just bid as much as you want on player on an active roster (NIL) and have him come join your team whenever you want (transfer portal). Every professional sport has regulations related to when, who and for how much you can sign a player. You can't just decide you want Durrant, or Mahomes, or Ohtani and tell them "we can pay you more than your current team so here, put on our new jersey". But that's exactly the situation currently in college sports.
The NCAA failed to do anything about NIL after decades of players trying to get something…anything. Now it’s out of their control.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

EhexS83XkAE2jBJ.jpg

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Rumor flying around we landed Broome. Auburn boards are in meltdown mode. We should know in a few days.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the info, maheo. If Auburn boards are apprised of this, why aren't we right there with them, or deeper i.e. we are where he's going, we should know more than non-destinations. Shouldn't we.?

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Thanks for the info, maheo. If Auburn boards are apprised of this, why aren't we right there with them, or deeper i.e. we are where he's going, we should know more than non-destinations. Shouldn't we.?

Right now it is only a rumor. It is expected that Broome makes his decision public by Monday or Tuesday. According to the Auburn side, Broome might not be starting there. He would be starting at UF. In the end, it is about NIL and who made the better offer. We do have location on our side as well. His parents will be able to attend more of his games at UF.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maheo, you create another question, born from my ignorance, of course = Would not the sponsors knowing a player won't start, lower his NIL worth, offer.? i.e. going where he will get the most playing time would enhance his NIL use and compensation, it seems.??

I hope we get Broome. I like the idea that his family & old friends will be in the stands cheering him on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.