Basketball Percents in Graphs

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The issue is White doesn't have a lot of options for good FT shooters. It's Allen at 84% and Chiozza at about 77% and then everyone else.
And Cheese couldn't hit a free throw to save his life last year. But you know, Coach White sucks and can't coach...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
And Cheese couldn't hit a free throw to save his life last year. But you know, Coach White sucks and can't coach...

You're right. I wouldn't put Cheese at the FT stripe with the game on the line.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're right. I wouldn't put Cheese at the FT stripe with the game on the line.
My point stands. Even though NV felt it necessary to give my post a dislike. You cannot deny Chiozza couldn't hit free throws for crap last year. This year he's at 77%. Major improvement. I'd put him at the stripe this year no problem. Last year? Not so much. People can keep bagging on Coach White all they want, but it seems pretty petty to me. I see a team nearly identical to last year's team with a couple exceptions, and Coach White is getting more out of this team than Billy did imo. Go ahead and dislike this one too NV. I don't care. I'm pretty tired of the short sighted fair weather fans around here. 1st year of a new HC in Football and BBall and we have idiots expecting our teams to win championships the very first year under a new HC with the same losers on the field/court the last coaches had. It makes no sense at all.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Last year 16-17 and 8-10 in SEC play. This year so far 13-7 and 5-3 in conference. We have 11 more regular season games, and have a shot at 20 wins especially with the conference tournament. I think White is doing the best he can given the circumstances.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My point stands. Even though NV felt it necessary to give my post a dislike. You cannot deny Chiozza couldn't hit free throws for crap last year. This year he's at 77%. Major improvement. I'd put him at the stripe this year no problem. Last year? Not so much. People can keep bagging on Coach White all they want, but it seems pretty petty to me. I see a team nearly identical to last year's team with a couple exceptions, and Coach White is getting more out of this team than Billy did imo. Go ahead and dislike this one too NV. I don't care. I'm pretty tired of the short sighted fair weather fans around here. 1st year of a new HC in Football and BBall and we have idiots expecting our teams to win championships the very first year under a new HC with the same losers on the field/court the last coaches had. It makes no sense at all.

Gave you a like to offset the dislike.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Last year 16-17 and 8-10 in SEC play. This year so far 13-7 and 5-3 in conference. We have 11 more regular season games, and have a shot at 20 wins especially with the conference tournament. I think White is doing the best he can given the circumstances.
I am more worried about what White will do next year. Our recruiting class so far has not looked good.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Thanks for the graphs. I think the FT one is most damning. Fix that and we win the close games easily and are ranked pretty high.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The 2016 recruiting class is small due to numbers coming back. White took 2, and that's the max. Hester looks pretty good. It's the 2017 cycle that will be critical for White.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
What circumstances? This team has the size speed and athleticism to match anyone in the country. So far they are under-achieving. Luckily there are lots of opportunities ahead to get things righted, but the door is closing slowly so need to finish stronger than we've started or we'll miss the NCAAT.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the premise that it isn't the coaches fault that a player can't shoot a FT, but the coach does get blame as to how much playing time each person gets and how they are used, i.e. A better Free Throw shooter getting to the line and a poorer one not driving to the hole.
When youre saddled with a bunch of bad free throw shooters it being on the coach goes out the window.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
What circumstances? This team has the size speed and athleticism to match anyone in the country. So far they are under-achieving. Luckily there are lots of opportunities ahead to get things righted, but the door is closing slowly so need to finish stronger than we've started or we'll miss the NCAAT.

Like T pointed out, bad FT shooters and bad shooting in general. You can coach all you want, but you can't coach the ball going into the hoop.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Except that this isn't even close to the same team as last year. More than half the team turned over.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It's all MFII's fault. And Eli Carter for transferring.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Except that this isn't even close to the same team as last year. More than half the team turned over.
We have the same two point guards as last year. Your point guards are the leaders of your team. Or are supposed to be... Both have improved their FT shooting, Cheese more than Hill but still, both are improved in almost every facet of the game this year. Hill still makes poor decisions with the ball and has almost no jump shot to speak of, but he's improved his FT shooting a bit and is hitting a few 3s this year. I swear some of you complain just to complain. White has them both playing better this year. Not top elite level for sure, but improved. Also, if we've had so much turn-over, then Coach White gets some credit for locking down and coaching up the new guys. At times these guys make you want to pull your hair out when the shots keep bouncing off the rim, or in some cases even miss the rim completely, but you cannot deny the UF BBall team is playing better this year than last year. Well, I guess you can, but if you do you must have your head stuck in the sand.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

My dislike was because of the sarcastic, "Coach White sucks" and no one in this thread has said that nor insinuate that.

I still love you, Nav.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Like T pointed out, bad FT shooters and bad shooting in general. You can coach all you want, but you can't coach the ball going into the hoop.
They've given us hope recently though. They did admittedly have a relapse in the Vandy game, but playing there is playing in one really bizarre arena. Maybe, just maybe the ball will start to drop again, we we get back on track. Big opportunity to get things rolling on Saturday.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They've given us hope recently though. They did admittedly have a relapse in the Vandy game, but playing there is playing in one really bizarre arena. Maybe, just maybe the ball will start to drop again, we we get back on track. Big opportunity to get things rolling on Saturday.
This is what I'm thinking. They were getting more shots to drop until they went to that god awful arena where everyone has trouble with shooting except the home team. Should be fine.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have the same two point guards as last year. Your point guards are the leaders of your team. Or are supposed to be... Both have improved their FT shooting, Cheese more than Hill but still, both are improved in almost every facet of the game this year. Hill still makes poor decisions with the ball and has almost no jump shot to speak of, but he's improved his FT shooting a bit and is hitting a few 3s this year. I swear some of you complain just to complain. White has them both playing better this year. Not top elite level for sure, but improved. Also, if we've had so much turn-over, then Coach White gets some credit for locking down and coaching up the new guys. At times these guys make you want to pull your hair out when the shots keep bouncing off the rim, or in some cases even miss the rim completely, but you cannot deny the UF BBall team is playing better this year than last year. Well, I guess you can, but if you do you must have your head stuck in the sand.
I don't mind you saying you think White is doing a good job, but I take umbrage to the suggestion that it's basically the same team Billy had and that White has them playing better.

Billy had to play a 6'6" 210 lbs team manager turned walk on for almost 20 minutes a game at power forward last year. He didn't have Egbunu, he didn't have Hayes, he didn't have Rimmer, he didn't have Leon, he didn't have Allen, he didn't have Devon, and he didn't have BFR. It was a completely different team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.