Basketball pre-conference scedule

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ordinarily, the pre-conference schedule in basketball is composed of power conference games (including one at mid-season) you need to split and non-power conference games at home you MUST win. With no home games in the pre-conference season, this year is a bit different. Still you need to find some way to win as many games in the pre-conference games.

Here is UF's pre-SEC schedule the rank of the opponent according to CBS's 1 to 351 ranking to get a rough idea of how good each team is expected to be:

26 Oct. Eckerd College (unranked) in Jacksonville, exhibition.

11 Nov. FGCU (168) in Jacksonville, UF needs to win this one to go to 1-0.

13 Nov. Mercer (154) in Jacksonville, another must UF win to go 2-0.

17 Nov. Saint Bonaventure (90) in Lakeland, if they finish in the top 100 this could be a better win than some SEC wins. Let's call this a win and UF goes to 3-0.

21 Nov. Belmont (80) in Tampa, another potential top 100 win and possibly a team that is in the field. Still UF is better and so call it 4-0.

24 Nov. Seton Hall (46) in Orlando. They were in the field last year and despite losing an early defection to the NBA draft, this would be a good win for UF. UF is rated a few spots higher so lets say 5-0.

25 Nov. Gonzaga (14) or Quinnipiac (269) in Orlando. Very likely the Zags and lets call it an L for 5-1.

1 Dec. at UNF (174). UF won there last year against probably a better team, but shot lights out. Call it a UF win but with worse shooting from the arc, 6-1.

6 Dec. Duke (1) NYC. This would be a huge game for UF to get and I think that is possible. Still I won't predict it, 6-2.

11 Dec. at FSU (31). I will call this one an upset win. UF 7-2.

17 Dec. Charlotte (179). UF needs this win to get to 8-2.

21 Dec. Little Rock (114). A HOME GAME against a good program, but a new coach and the best player gone. Still a UF win 9-2.

28 Jan. at OU (35). A similarly ranked team to UF, but on the road so call it a loss, 9-3.

BTW, UF is ranked 37 in the CBS ranking. All of these neutral and road games will help UF's RPI and away from home record IF UF can win a good number of them. Note I have UF going 2 and 3 against the power teams, ie power conference teams and Gonzaga if UF and them match up.

There irony is the renovation gives UF a bit of a leg up in getting a bid. Another irony is Foley gave away two football home games when the local economy is also sufferring from not having those Nov and Dec home basketball games that probably draw the equivalent of a football home game or so.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Beware of Belmont. Rick Byrd is one of the most underappreciated coaches in the country. That won't be a cakewalk in Tampa, and especially in a half empty building.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Beware of Belmont. Rick Byrd is one of the most underappreciated coaches in the country. That won't be a cakewalk in Tampa, and especially in a half empty building.

I am wary of all those teams ranked around 100. Any of them could beat UF.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This is a fairly good out of conference schedule with a lot of tournament and bubble teams from last year. Not having true home games will be tough. But I think we get a bid to the big dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.