Basketball roster analysis, recruiting etc.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't necessarily mind 3 guard line ups. We've had a few pretty good ones. I'm all for getting the most talent on the floor.

I just go back to those 06-07 years, and the makeup of those teams were ideal. We had the one-two punch in Horford (6-10) and Noah(6-11) and had a slasher/shooter in brewer (6-9) then had a sharp shooter from three (humphries) and quality point guard play (green) who could hit shots. We also had depth we could rotate ( speights 6-10), werner, hodge, richards (6-9)

My view is if you get your best five on the court and you end up with three guards, you can be good, you can make the NCAA tourney, but you probably won't win it all. You won't look like UF's final four teams or even round of 8 teams that always seemed to have a 3 who was a miss match guy like Miller, Brewer, Parsons or Prather. The three guard line up is to me a give up line up, that says well I know we can not be really good, but lets muddle through.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
My view is if you get your best five on the court and you end up with three guards, you can be good, you can make the NCAA tourney, but you probably won't win it all. You won't look like UF's final four teams or even round of 8 teams that always seemed to have a 3 who was a miss match guy like Miller, Brewer, Parsons or Prather. The three guard line up is to me a give up line up, that says well I know we can not be really good, but lets muddle through.

Nice analysis. I'm hoping Stone turns into our mismatch guy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We made the elite 8 twice with 3 guard line ups. Wilbekin boyton and beal then Wilbekin boyton and Rosario.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I just go back to those 06-07 years, and the makeup of those teams were ideal. We had the one-two punch in Horford (6-10) and Noah(6-11) and had a slasher/shooter in brewer (6-9) then had a sharp shooter from three (humphries) and quality point guard play (green) who could hit shots. We also had depth we could rotate ( speights 6-10), werner, hodge, richards (6-9)

Lol trying to sneak Werner in there. Good one :lmao2:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think werner was on those teams. Plug Adrian Moss into that sentence and it's fixed.

I try to forget the Werner years he played so you're probably right. I do remember the GW vs Arizona (I think) that Moss hit. That play right there was better than the 4 years Werner gave us lol

Edit- that was Bonell Colas not Moss dangit. So yeah, Moss was pretty insignificant

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I try to forget the Werner years he played so you're probably right. I do remember the GW vs Arizona (I think) that Moss hit. That play right there was better than the 4 years Werner gave us lol

Moss played in the rotation on the 05-06 championship team and Werner was in the rotation on the 06-07 championships team.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Moss played in the rotation on the 05-06 championship team and Werner was in the rotation on the 06-07 championships team.

Both players were below average, can't really debate that.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Moss was huge (for Moss) in the first NC game though, spelling Horford and Noah who were in some early foul trouble - he had 9 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes off the bench.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So do we all agree that dan Werner was the worst 4 year player we ever had under Billy?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Moss was huge (for Moss) in the first NC game though, spelling Horford and Noah who were in some early foul trouble - he had 9 points and 6 rebounds in 10 minutes off the bench.

That is true and I was happy to see him shine in that moment. I don't dislike the guy, I just realize he wasn't very good for a majority of his career.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Exactly, you come up big in a title game like Moss and I am not about to criticize your career. The same goes for Speights who when UF's bigs got in even more foul trouble the next year stepped in in the championship game. Speights only scored 2 points and grabbed 2 rebounds, but he was a credible big for a few minutes when Noah, Horford and Richard all were piling up fouls.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, you come up big in a title game like Moss and I am not about to criticize your career. The same goes for Speights who when UF's bigs got in even more foul trouble the next year stepped in in the championship game. Speights only scored 2 points and grabbed 2 rebounds, but he was a credible big for a few minutes when Noah, Horford and Richard all were piling up fouls.

That's fair, I won't argue that. I am appreciative of Moss' contributions that night. Werner on the other hand...lol

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So do we all agree that dan Werner was the worst 4 year player we ever had under Billy?

Werner's career might have been ruined by Donovan's recruiting failures. Had Werner been able to be a 3 his entire career, he might have had a career. Of course his lack of quickness might have still held him back, but he was certainly over matched at the 4 where he had to play by necessity.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For a guy who started a lot of games, for sure. I can't really think of anyone else so despised by Gator fans.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The same goes for Speights who when UF's bigs got in even more foul trouble the next year stepped in in the championship game. Speights only scored 2 points and grabbed 2 rebounds, but he was a credible big

This. I love Speights for accepting his role 6th man award was well deserved. He looks like a thug in the playoffs with all the ink, but I still support him an cheer for him wherever his career takes him. Never a superstar, but someone who does what he's asked.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This. I love Speights for accepting his role 6th man award was well deserved. He looks like a thug in the playoffs with all the ink, but I still support him an cheer for him wherever his career takes him. Never a superstar, but someone who does what he's asked.
I'm going to guess that Hodge and Richard were the first two off the bench and Speights was probably the 8th or 9th man.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Nice analysis. I'm hoping Stone turns into our mismatch guy.

I see Stone as more of a inside player like a bulkier Alex Tyus, but time will tell. He was such an unknown guy in recruiting and has not been seen in a year, so it is hard to know.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I see Stone as more of a inside player like a bulkier Alex Tyus, but time will tell. He was such an unknown guy in recruiting and has not been seen in a year, so it is hard to know.
He is a SF that will play PF in college. He is a great shooter (hopefully in games as well). He is a bigger version of Parsons/DFS

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.