Battery Powered Lawn Equipment

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Thoughts on battery powered lawn equipment like a leaf blower? I bought one at Costco for $150 on sale and love the concept but the battery life is awful. It will cost another $100 for a spare battery and I would need 1-2 more to do everything. Might as well get a nice Stihl gas powered at this point. Like all batteries, I assume these will lose capacity over time.

Has anyone has years of experience with one yet?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I think you've already answered your question. I wouldn't own a battery powered piece of lawn equipment.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I think you've already answered your question. I wouldn't own a battery powered piece of lawn equipment.
you are probably right. They have a particular market but we are not it. Seedy keeps saying it too but I keep trying to make this work. :facepalm:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They’re all designed for modern small lots. If you own more than half an acre, gas is the only viable option.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
The only reason I've heard for why landscaping companies use them is because they are quiet. This allows them to start work earlier and not run afoul of noise ordinances.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The only reason I've heard for why landscaping companies use them is because they are quiet. This allows them to start work earlier and not run afoul of noise ordinances.
I don’t notice that it’s much quieter than our electric. There’s a lot to like about it but it’s not practical.

It reminds me of the “Ladies Tool Kit” that my dad got me when I was 21. It was light blue to give it that masculine feel but it had the smallest of hammers in it that was good for a tack. It works, but only in certain scenarios. We still laugh about it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If you had a smaller lot like my rental house they work pretty good. My tenant bought the whole set and is happy with it but when I lived there I could literally mow, edge and blow the entire yard in about 15 minutes and if fact used a non self propelled push mower because I can go faster pushing it myself.

The other thing as you mentioned is the battery capacity loss. I have landscapers at our house but because we have a lot of Oak trees on and next to our property, I bought a gas powered one for the annual mess the trees make in Feb./March(landscapers only come every other week that time of the year) and after Hurricane/TS clean up....Oh and it works great for touchless drying my cars after I wash them.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
If you had a smaller lot like my rental house they work pretty good. My tenant bought the whole set and is happy with it but when I lived there I could literally mow, edge and blow the entire yard in about 15 minutes and if fact used a non self propelled push mower because I can go faster pushing it myself.

The other thing as you mentioned is the battery capacity loss. I have landscapers at our house but because we have a lot of Oak trees on and next to our property, I bought a gas powered one for the annual mess the trees make in Feb./March(landscapers only come every other week that time of the year) and after Hurricane/TS clean up....Oh and it works great for touchless drying my cars after I wash them.
Great idea -I do like the idea of drying off the car with it.
I'm not sure if it's worth $150 to keep it for small jobs. It's currently "helicopter" season and the maples are dropping seeds like crazy. It sure is easy to use it for 5 minutes on the porch every day without having to deal with cords or gas.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thoughts on battery powered lawn equipment like a leaf blower? I bought one at Costco for $150 on sale and love the concept but the battery life is awful. It will cost another $100 for a spare battery and I would need 1-2 more to do everything. Might as well get a nice Stihl gas powered at this point. Like all batteries, I assume these will lose capacity over time.

You'd had been better off spending that $150 on the mulch you're complaining about in the chatterbox :lol:

I have an Echo gas powered back pack blower. Have had it for many years. we have someone cut the lawn so I probably only use it about 10 - 12 times a year to blow off excess leaves since we have a lot of trees over the house.

Never had a problem with it.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You'd had been better off spending that $150 on the mulch you're complaining about in the chatterbox :lol:

I have an Echo gas powered back pack blower. Have had it for many years. we have someone cut the lawn so I probably only use it about 10 - 12 times a year to blow off excess leaves since we have a lot of trees over the house.

Never had a problem with it.
Touché
I can still return it. Costco has an incredible return policy.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I'm in the Ryobi 40v line. I have small yard and battery life isn't an issue.

I have taken the self-propelled mower to my property in Wyoming and got a solid half acre on clump grass and cheat grass on a single charge in my 6ah battery. I now have a second power head with trimmer and push mower for use up there for around the camper and fence line.

The power head is interchangeable with trimmer, edger, cultivator (love this in my garden boxes...think electric Mantis), pole saw (don't have) and a goofy blower (don't have).

I have a big blower and it works great.

I also took down a dead tree with the 18" chain saw. But that took several batteries due to a dull blade.

Overall, I have been happy with them. I have been warned off of the snow blower. Most reviews say it sucks...and doesn't blow! Only gas powered gear at the house is my 28" Toro snow blower...it rocks!

I had a buddy that had the Ego stuff...and it was even better.

I am guessing you got the Greenworks stuff at Costco. I have heard they are under powered and hit and miss on battery life.

Last edited:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I have battery powered hedge trimmers, weed eater, blower and an extenable tree saw. They work great. Too much lawn to do a battery powered mower.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'm in the Ryobi 40v line. I have small yard and battery life isn't an issue.

I have taken the self-propelled mower to my property in Wyoming and got a solid half acre on clump grass and cheat grass on a single charge in my 6ah battery. I now have a second power head with trimmer and push mower for use up there for around the camper and fence line.

The power head is interchangeable with trimmer, edger, cultivator (love this in my garden boxes...think electric Mantis), pole saw (don't have) and a goofy blower (don't have).

I have a big blower and it works great.

I also took down a dead tree with the 18" chain saw. But that took several batteries due to a dull blade.

Overall, I have been happy with them. I have been warned off of the snow blower. Most reviews say it sucks...and doesn't blow! Only gas powered gear at the house is my 28" Toro snow blower...it rocks!

I had a buddy that had the Ego stuff...and it was even better.

I am guessing you got the Greenworks stuff at Costco. I have heard they are under powered and hit and miss on battery life.
Thanks, good info. Maybe it's the brand that's more of the issue. I'm thinking this will go back soon.
I thought I paid $150 but I looked at the receipt and it was $250, on sale for $200. I really like the 15-20 minutes that it works but definitely not worth $200.

$249.99
Greenworks 80V Gen 3 800CFM Brushless Blower and 2.5ah Battery
  • Powerful 26CC Gas Equivalent
  • Quietforce technology for less noise and more power
  • Variable Speed Trigger for Easy Control and Turbo Button for More Power
  • Included: Exo-Flex Strap and Snap-On Nozzle
  • Up to 60 min Runtime on Low, 20 min Runtime on high, 15 min on Turbo

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Thanks, good info. Maybe it's the brand that's more of the issue. I'm thinking this will go back soon.
I thought I paid $150 but I looked at the receipt and it was $250, on sale for $200. I really like the 15-20 minutes that it works but definitely not worth $200.

$249.99
Greenworks 80V Gen 3 800CFM Brushless Blower and 2.5ah Battery
  • Powerful 26CC Gas Equivalent
  • Quietforce technology for less noise and more power
  • Variable Speed Trigger for Easy Control and Turbo Button for More Power
  • Included: Exo-Flex Strap and Snap-On Nozzle
  • Up to 60 min Runtime on Low, 20 min Runtime on high, 15 min on Turbo
Yep, take that back. It could be the specific batteries or the whole system, but that is too much to pay for disappointment. And Costco's return policy is great.

Not sure how close you are to one, but the Direct Tool Outlet stores (all in outlet malls) are the TTY (manufacturer) outlets for refurb and blemished tools - mostly Ryobi and Ridgid, but also some Milwaukee, Hart (that cheap **** from Walmart) and Hoover. They run good sales - especially on the refurb stuff. I got my awesome blower from there for $75 (retail was over $150 at the time) - tool only since I already had batteries from my mower and trimmer set ups.

EDIT: If you buy something from Direct Tools Outlet, buy the kits until you have enough batteries. The batteries by themselves are stupid expensive - but that is true of all the brands.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Buncha damn tree huggin communist hippies in here :shake:
Nope...just sick of gas, mixing oil in, maintenance, etc. Fighting each piece of equipment every year after storage no matter how it is stored got old. Mower died and I took a chance on the battery version. Never looked back!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nope...just sick of gas, mixing oil in, maintenance, etc. Fighting each piece of equipment every year after storage no matter how it is stored got old. Mower died and I took a chance on the battery version. Never looked back!
Have you tried using better gas?
Or maybe not using schitty equipment :grin:

Disclaimer, I don't mow :lol:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me you don’t do yard work without telling me you don’t do yard work.
I literally did....several times in the thread :lol:

And I've done my fair share. Did it as a job for a couple years when I was younger

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.