Big Dez collapses Bama OL

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought about posting something like this. He was destroying them. At one point they had three guys on him and slanted right (basically ignoring the center) then he sealed the right A and B gap, finally fell down but had that large arm in the air grasping for the RB who bumped outside rather than risk it and got smacked in the backfield by our LB.

I was kind of waiting for someone else to post the gamevideo. This was the goalline stand that Trailerbammer didn't score.

He might be as much of a gamechanger as AR is. It is amazing really.

Edit: 4th Quarter 10:53 left. Get out the DVRs and just watch Big Dez vs AlafuchsingBama. Enjoy.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I thought about posting something like this. He was destroying them. At one point they had three guys on him and slanted right (basically ignoring the center) then he sealed the right A and B gap, finally fell down but had that large arm in the air grasping for the RB who bumped outside rather than risk it and got smacked in the backfield by our LB.

I was kind of waiting for someone else to post the gamevideo. This was the goalline stand that Trailerbammer didn't score.

i-like-big.gif

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I was at the game but, now I'm wondering what happened to allow the first down on their last drive. Was he in the game then. If not he should have been, since it was going to be a run on all three downs.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

This may have been discussed, but was I the only one that was actually upset at the 5 yard penalty that forced the FG at the end? I realize we’d given up a TD on 4th and goal the previous drive, but we were in a groove along the DL and I felt good about our chances to stop them. A stop would’ve given us a chance to drive the field and win it all. And if the convert, we lose by 5 instead of 2, which is the same, imo. I like that we held our ground and the crowd forced the false start, but I wanted a play there.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This may have been discussed, but was I the only one that was actually upset at the 5 yard penalty that forced the FG at the end? I realize we’d given up a TD on 4th and goal the previous drive, but we were in a groove along the DL and I felt good about our chances to stop them. A stop would’ve given us a chance to drive the field and win it all. And if the convert, we lose by 5 instead of 2, which is the same, imo. I like that we held our ground and the crowd forced the false start, but I wanted a play there.
Nope I posted about it in cover2's thread, we were discussing it in the chatbox.

Now perhaps the ballsiest move of all fuggin time would have been to decline the penalty. :lol: Imagine little Nicky sitting there and Mullinz just basically double dog dared him to go for it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nope I posted about it in cover2's thread, we were discussing it in the chatbox.

Now perhaps the ballsiest move of all fuggin time would have been to decline the penalty. :lol: Imagine little Nicky sitting there and Mullinz just basically double dog dared him to go for it.

Ok. Thanks. I was keeping up with the chat box early on, but once I was away for a few minutes and we started coming back, I wasn’t changing anything so stopped checking my phone.

And yeah it would’ve been the ultimate move. Never really thought about declining it. I could only imagine the uproar here if they got it. I liked the going for 2 last December as well, though it backfired.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorJ At a minimum, a 400 pounder is going to reroute backs from his gap and require a double team. Watson getting penetration creates a lot of havoc, 400 lbs and mobile / aggressive is pretty special. Most guys with his size and weight take up space, but have a hard time moving. No doubt he was a factor in the Tide rushing for under a hundred.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Go back to the 7:26 mark of Swonks Youtube and look at the fuching holding at the LOS. No penalty for basically tackling the D-line. Such BS

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Go back to the 7:26 mark of Swonks Youtube and look at the fuching holding at the LOS. No penalty for basically tackling the D-line. Such BS
Their line did not get one holding call all game. I watched the LT on a few plays holding.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He did his job when he was in there, for sure.

On their last TD, a short TD run, we brought in 5 heavy DL's (w/ the 3 transfer DT's, Watson, and Carter). Alabama simply ran it to the outside and easily scored. Had they gone up the middle it would have been a 1 yard loss. Fat Todd needs to prepare for the possibility of the O running it outside - basically only 1 player there to defend it (and he got there late - expecting to assist w/ the run up the middle that didn't happen).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was just listening to a call in show, and one of the callers said that Dexter was absolutely manhandling them on the goal line stand.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The 3rd and goal was quite incredible. He destroyed #70, helped on the tackle, and probably laughed at #70 when he raised his hands for a TD when the RB was a yard short.

giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He did his job when he was in there, for sure.

On their last TD, a short TD run, we brought in 5 heavy DL's (w/ the 3 transfer DT's, Watson, and Carter). Alabama simply ran it to the outside and easily scored. Had they gone up the middle it would have been a 1 yard loss. Fat Todd needs to prepare for the possibility of the O running it outside - basically only 1 player there to defend it (and he got there late - expecting to assist w/ the run up the middle that didn't happen).
We talked about this. Same defense as vs USF and we had a DB playing LB, and useless at trying to set the edge.

Later in the game we had nothing but LBs behind the heavy line. Since we have such pight fast LBs anyway, it makes no fuchsing sense to have a safety there.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Been touting this for years. A NG that commands a double team every play in invaluable. Get one that commands a double team and can play 2 gaps?? Top 10 draft pick and makes a LOT of money.

A 3/4 defense is truly superior even though I never ran it. Never truly had the personnel despite coaching some really good defenses, including one that pitched a shut out in a state title game. JV kids gave up a td with 20 seconds to go and I was the only guy pissed. But I digress.

A 3/4 gives you numbers advantage inside the box while having 1 less player in the box. Picture 3 DL and 2 LB and to keep it simply, those 5 are lined up hat on hat with the OL.

Check this.

Because that NG gets a double every play, you now have a numbers advantage no matter which side they run the ball because you have one guy eliminating 2 blockers. If you split the O down the middle with the Center, the NG will get doubled no matter which way the O runs, which leaves 1 blocker to block 2 defenders.

Spread Os will pull the backside guard to block the playside LB (the #1 LB). So hat on a hat right? Yes, but the RB has NO WHERE TO RUN. Every gap has a mash of people in it. Playside A gap has THREE bodies clogging it up. The NG, Center, and OG. Playside B gap has the backside G and the playside LB mauling each other, the C gap (outside the tackle) has the DE and the OT mashed up. Now if the DE gets stupid and run up the field, there is a big hole in the B gap, but the playside OLB on that side can cover the gap that is created. If you have a badass NG who gets push on the double team, the pulling guard has to loop around the Center on the pull which allows the playside LB to fill the hole much quicker just creating a mess in the backfield.

Well, what about fake the power and run the QB backside?? You forgot about the backside LB and backside DE didn’t you? You have numbers backside as well. If the backside G pulls playside and the QB pulls it and runs backside, the backside DE and LB are being blocked by ONE guy, the backside T. Oh, and your playside Guard and Center are double teaming the NG and pushing him backside, where the QB is running.

BUT, it takes a bad ass NG and a bad ass LB to run it, which is why teams who are successful at the 3/4 have both and 2 gap NGs who can get push on the OL make a LOT of money in the NFL.

On pass coverage, the other 2 OLBs can hedge between run support and pass pro giving you 7 covering 4 or 5 including the RB. The OLBs are already lined up covering the hook, curl, hitch while looking at the QB to read run or pass.

In short, a typical spread O with 4 WRs will have the O playing with 7 in the box versus 5 on D, but with a 2 gap NG, you have a numbers advantage no matter which way the O decides to run.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
No doubt that Big Dez showed his worth on Saturday. In every big game & crucial situation for the rest of the season, Mullen & Grantham will find a reason to keep him on the sideline.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
@GatorJ At a minimum, a 400 pounder is going to reroute backs from his gap and require a double team. Watson getting penetration creates a lot of havoc, 400 lbs and mobile / aggressive is pretty special. Most guys with his size and weight take up space, but have a hard time moving. No doubt he was a factor in the Tide rushing for under a hundred.
I got penetration on Donk’s sister and rerouted her back too

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.