Billy’s Buyout

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Not doubting you but I've never seen anything he's said ever come to fruition. It's always the same "something really good is gonna happen, probably not this week but sometime soon, trust me I'm an insider" bull****. And that whole board just gobbles it up and sucks him off. Even the on3 staff attacks anyone that questions him. Can you seriously think of a single time he reported something specific that wasn't already being reported? I may be wrong but I can't.
I'm with you; not inclined to believe it. Lots of changes that could be made right now if he thought he should do it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yup, the guy who can’t be actually on the field ;) it’s a system

Yeah that dude has been set up for failure. Making him the ST coordinator and telling him he can't coach on game days? Thanks for royally screwing me, tater.

Having met him at a separate function earlier this year, I can tell you we don’t/didn’t want this guy anywhere near a visible position. I get that coaches aren’t going to be overly concerned with how they look. But I also think there is a measure of pride one should take in terms of how you present yourself. This guy makes Belichick and Oddell Hagins look like Real Housewives.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm with you; not inclined to believe it. Lots of changes that could be made right now if he thought he should do it.

I could see Napier wanting to make sure the person and their families are taken care of before it being official. He’s that kind of person and a good portion of his staff came with him from UL so I doubt any of it would be easy. If he’s truly making a major overhaul, one week against VU isn’t going to be the difference. If this is true I’m at least happy he’s making moves.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Having met him at a separate function earlier this year, I can tell you we don’t/didn’t want this guy anywhere near a visible position. I get that coaches aren’t going to be overly concerned with how they look. But I also think there is a measure of pride one should take in terms of how you present yourself. This guy makes Belicik and Oddell Hagins look like Real Housewives.
Pleated pants, 4 inches too long, cuffed at the bottom with a braided leather belt, tassel shoes without socks?

Or are we talking oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants hanging low with his underwear showing up top, side hat kind of thing?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
This insanity needs to end. How do we put so much money for an unproven sunbelt coach? The guy literally was kicked out of Clemson, was a shoe shiner for Satan, and had some success in the sunbelt. That is it. Suddenly he deserves $52m and the 11th highest pay in FBS? What in the actual f.

How can these unproven coaches have any incentive to keep working or doing anything useful once they sign the contract? What drives them?

Absolute insanity.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This guy’s been pretty spot on in some of the stuff he has said.

He said that there would be no major changes this week. But they would make some internal tweaks the week after. With coaching assignments is what it sounds like.

If needed, there will be no big changes until the end of the season.
Time will tell and as information comes out. And it will probably seep out like a slowly dripping faucet. I just hope as you list "changes" meaning that there is going to be several rather than just Couch. Last Saturday should have been an "a-ha moment" for this stuff has got to change. I have held out and tempered my expectations for this season, but there's no way anyone should be sticking their heads in the sand either. Hoping he's smart enough to figure it out.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
The only thing that gives me hope is that he got rid of toney and brought in Ham. That looked brilliant the first 4 games of the season. So changes aren't out of the question. They just come so slowly.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I respect your past experiences. But honestly, you don’t have to have done those things in order to see things clear as day in front of you. As for being fair weather fans, it was the same mentality from UF fans that not only called out Mullen’s incompetencies, but pushed for change—the very change that has allowed Napier to have this job. So that presents a bit of a quandary and is quite ironic. In addition, I find it comical that UF fans on a message board are making matters worse, yet national sports headlines are all talking about the mockery of UF football at the moment. Apparently that’s either not being seen by the players or doesn’t matter in your eyes. Lastly, it’s not being a fair weather fan to expect your head coach to make logical decisions that will ultimately benefit him and the program. Nor does it take past football playing to understand that down 15 points is not materially any better than down 16, and certainly not worth the risk of being down 17. That doesn’t take playing experience or being a genius. That takes common sense and 2nd grade math.

Feel free to pick up the microphone and respond if anything I just said is remotely inaccurate.

Peel back all the criticism and vitriol from any of our posts since Saturday and you are left with glaring examples of incompetence that cannot be ignored.

The fact that Billy even considered going for two in that situation is all one needs to understand the problem.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Sorry for the spelling errors, I have fat fingers.

My points are that some of you have no clue what its like to play the game, much less play at a high level. Sitting around bitching about not being undefeated is not the way to be a fan. BN has always said this will be a process, we all know that, some might not expect it but it is what it is. The cupboard was past empty when he got here, no he doesn't have to have 'his' players but he needs to have some players capable of performing at this level. Mullen recruited kids that would have never played in Div1, much less in the SEC.

Anyway, what some of you are failing to realize is that the measurement of a great coach is not just W' and L's.

BN has this team on the right path, maybe not an immediate upward path but they are going the right direction. Our recruiting has earned back years of mistrust amouingst high school coaches and students. We knew this year would be tough and probably worse than last year but he has the kids coming in to make a difference in 2024. As long as he continues to make imnprovements, he will be around a few more years. Look at the young players that are getting quality time on the field. How do you think they will play next year?

There have been no huge distractions with this team, no one beating their girlfriends or shooting anyone. A coaches job is to raise successful young men and graduate those young men and BN is doing a great job of that. The kids love him and as imnportantly, their parents love him too. Spend sometime around HS football and there is a buzz about FL that has not been there since UM left.

BN has not caused any embarrasement to the University, our players or the Alumni. He is polite and while we might not understand his methods, his message is clear, he makes no excuses and stands up like a man to the press.

He can improve his play calling, I agree. He needs a OC and I think he will learn that but who is he going to hire? He needs a special team coach with some passion and great attention to detail. Most of, all this team (and I have said this many times on here) needs some leadership from players and someone that gets in other players faces and makes them take that one extra rep and fight for that one extra yard. I don't see that player on the squad right now.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

My points are that some of you have no clue what its like to play the game, much less play at a high level. Sitting around bitching about not being undefeated is not the way to be a fan. BN has always said this will be a process, we all know that, some might not expect it but it is what it is. The cupboard was past empty when he got here, no he doesn't have to have 'his' players but he needs to have some players capable of performing at this level. Mullen recruited kids that would have never played in Div1, much less in the SEC.

Anyway, what some of you are failing to realize is that the measurement of a great coach is not just W' and L's.

BN has this team on the right path, maybe not an immediate upward path but they are going the right direction. Our recruiting has earned back years of mistrust amouingst high school coaches and students. We knew this year would be tough and probably worse than last year but he has the kids coming in to make a difference in 2024. As long as he continues to make imnprovements, he will be around a few more years. Look at the young players that are getting quality time on the field. How do you think they will play next year?

There have been no huge distractions with this team, no one beating their girlfriends or shooting anyone. A coaches job is to raise successful young men and graduate those young men and BN is doing a great job of that. The kids love him and as imnportantly, their parents love him too. Spend sometime around HS football and there is a buzz about FL that has not been there since UM left.

BN has not caused any embarrasement to the University, our players or the Alumni. He is polite and while we might not understand his methods, his message is clear, he makes no excuses and stands up like a man to the press.

He can improve his play calling, I agree. He needs a OC and I think he will learn that but who is he going to hire? He needs a special team coach with some passion and great attention to detail. Most of, all this team (and I have said this many times on here) needs some leadership from players and someone that gets in other players faces and makes them take that one extra rep and fight for that one extra yard. I don't see that player on the squad right now.

I will just quote someone who I think "has a clue". Will Miles very clearly details what the problem is in his most recent article:

"Coaching and Takeaways

Perhaps no play sums up Florida’s performances against Utah and Kentucky than this one.

https://www.readandreaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/UK-TD-with-13-men-on-field.mp4

On first-and-goal, Florida gets the one-on-one matchup I was talking about earlier as Scooby Williams (#17) fills the hole to take on Davis. Williams misses the tackle and Davis scores. But why was Williams able to shoot through a gap in the line? Well, it might have something to do with the Gators’ 13 defenders on the field at the snap, or, two more than is legal.

To be fair to Florida, you only get 40 seconds between plays to get defenders out on the field and given that it was first-and-goal at the two-yard line, you really don’t want to waste a timeout at that juncture.

Except the play before was a pass interference penalty on Jason Marshall and the officials paused the game to announce the penalty.

And except a Kentucky player was injured on the play too and Kentucky’s trainers came out to attend to him long enough for ESPN to plug both the Texas/Kansas and Notre Dame/Duke matchups later in the day.

In all, there were 105 seconds between time the ball hit the ground on the third down pass interference and the snap on the touchdown run and yet the Gators still couldn’t get the appropriate personnel out on the field.

This is why fans are criticizing Billy Napier and his staff. You spend all offseason and during the week repping who will be in the game for goal line situations. Then when one comes up during the game, your entire damn defense thinks it should be in the game.

That might be tolerable had they shown fight the entire game, but Shemar James said afterwards that he thought the noon start had an effect on the team and that they came out flat. That’s a big problem for two reasons, the first being that if you keep getting smoked like this there will be a lot more noon kickoffs in the Gators future.

But the second reason that’s a problem is much more big-picture.

The story Gators fans have been telling themselves is that this rebuild is going to take time. It’s been that Napier inherited a mess from Dan Mullen and he needed to change the culture. But when you have a player saying that the team wasn’t ready to play for a big-time SEC road game, that doesn’t speak well of the culture at all.

We expected this team to struggle at times. We even expected some losses might be lopsided. What we didn’t expect was that in year two of this rebuild that Florida would look more disorganized than it did in year one. That lack of fire and desire, that lack of urgency, and the repeat of the same types of mistakes week after week fall directly on Napier.

And at some point, Gators fans (and boosters) are going to stop telling themselves stories."

Looks like you chose to keep telling yourself stories at this point.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I appreciate the balanced response. While I don’t share all your views on us trending the right direction, I can and will acknowledge the recruiting uptick, assuming it all sticks. I don’t think process means years and years. I also don’t think the roster, which is mostly comprised of people he hand selected, is 20 points worse than Kentucky. But that said, if you ultimately strip away some of the emotion, you and everyone else here are saying the same things. He needs an OC. He needs a special teams coach. Yet he’s been resistant even openly in the media to being questioned. We’ll have to see how he adjusts moving forward but that’s the crux of the issue that many of us have and have had. That doesn’t get resolved with time or roster. It gets resolved when he stops being stubborn and excepts that it’s not working. If he did it today, I’d be thrilled and fully behind him because it would show his adaptability. He hasn’t yet, and there aren’t any indications that he’s planning to. But we can all be hopeful.

To your point about players, loving him, they loved Will Muschamp too. Yes it’s great that he is well liked, and most would agree. He’s a good person. But that won’t and itself make him successful here. It’s nice, but not what matters most.

And lastly, as for the complaining, that’s the nature of the beast, and he certainly knew that when he took this job. It’s big boy football and you have to have very thick skin. You don’t get 90,000 people devoting their entire day to helping you beat tennessee one week and those same 90,000 people completely content losing to Kentucky by 20 points the next. Those two things don’t coexist, and again he knew that.

Ftr, no one here could care any less about the spelling errors. That’s just part of the fun.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Time will tell and as information comes out. And it will probably seep out like a slowly dripping faucet. I just hope as you list "changes" meaning that there is going to be several rather than just Couch. Last Saturday should have been an "a-ha moment" for this stuff has got to change. I have held out and tempered my expectations for this season, but there's no way anyone should be sticking their heads in the sand either. Hoping he's smart enough to figure it out.
He didn’t say there would be a change at OC. But he did say that the hope is that there would be a new OC, with his own OL coach coming in. But it wouldn’t be until next year.

As an aside, there’s a lot of chatter that he has been telling recruits that they will probably bring in anLOC next year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Terence Hilton Barber, UF wide receiver 1988-1990, welcome to GC, bro.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tharber with Emmitt back in the day.

95cae13abe3b03380ed9d834cc6a67eb.jpg

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He didn’t say there would be a change at OC. But he did say that the hope is that there would be a new OC, with his own OL coach coming in. But it wouldn’t be until next year.

As an aside, there’s a lot of chatter that he has been telling recruits that they will probably bring in anLOC next year.
Thanks @GatorJ

I do think this is extremely important especially now. For whatever reason having the staff positions as they are, who knows? We hear how BN is process and evaluative in his program. Know it's time to see if that applies to him as well. Still hope they figure it out and get it fixed. Would hate to have to see us start all over again. So here's to hoping that the intel is correct, and heck you give more insight that some of these so called hacks that are out there.

:fistbump:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

I appreciate your perspective. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.