Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Arkansas

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The guys on the Halftime Show just snickered at our awfulness and said that if the Gators make it to the SEC CG the spread could be 80 points. I don't disagree.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Butters is Mac b.c he looks a little like and talks a lot like the character Butters from South Park b/c when he talks he makes zero sense.
According to the member who coined the phrase, he called him Butters because of his buttery yellow teeth. Had no idea there was a South Park character named Butters.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
:headslap:As disappointing as this game was, I can't truthfully say I'm shocked. Having watched us in Jax last week, and even though I'm glad for the victory against UGA, my feeling afterward was that I just watched a very mediocre SEC team defeat a poor SEC team. When you beat a weak sister, it doesn't necessarily mean you are good or even getting better. You simply did what you were supposed to do. I am no less convinced of that feeling after watching us get blasted today by the Hogs.

We didn't look prepared, mentally or schematically, and that is an all too familiar impression for which there is no acceptable explanation IMO. Too easy to simply say that we were still drunk from our victory over the Dawgs. The problem is much deeper. The term for Mac in this regard that has popped up some is "Players' Coach." This is not a compliment by any means and belies an unwillingness to demand excellence in preparation and execution on a consistent basis. To me, "Players' Coach" is too much friend, not enough hard ass. Sad thing is that most of these type coaches are usually good to better recruiters! Thus far, we aren't even getting that, comparatively speaking. To say the least, my confidence is waning.

But enough from this sidewalk prophet...here's a few thoughts on the game:
  • Aaron Taylor, whether you like him or not, made a very profound statement regarding LDR. Early on, he said that the pick six wasn't really Luke's fault (and it wasn't), but when the team is struggling it is his responsibility to bring them to a better place in terms of offensive efficiency (paraphrased). Clearly, he could not. I'll say this again: even though he has been a good leader among his teammates (or so we are told), and a good kid, he is not good enough to change the complexion of a game on his arm or with his legs like the good ones can. With the OL regressing and thus nulling the running game, we were, to put it kindly, f**ked. Sadly, I don't think Mac makes a change unless we get beat by LSU (and there is presumably nothing left to play for except a mid-level bowl and "wait 'til next year"). I understand why Luke was the starter and has played the lion's share, but I think it is time to get another look. That notwithstanding, Jake Allen, if you're listening, you better be a stud or quickly become one!
  • Offensive Player of the Game? Why, Duke Dawson, of course!
  • Stat of the game: UF 1/11 on third downs. No excuse for this other than lack of want to by us and a load of it by the Hogs.
  • Sounds like we have some key injuries (Davis, Anzalone, and Dillard particularly). These are guys we need and I can only hope that somebody can step up in their places. LB is a real concern.
  • Yet again, we seem to have put ourselves in the position of needing somebody else to win for us (UGA to give UK another loss, Bama to rough up LSU, etc.). That sh!t ain't gonna cut it. At some point, you've got to have the attitude and desire to take what you want, not wait for it to be handed to you. At least take care of your business if you're in the position of need.
  • Not many offensive bright spots, but I was glad to see Scarlett involved in the passing game. I know there was a thought that he couldn't do that part, but I think he can and should be used as such. Maybe that's due to some good coaching thus far? :dunno:
  • Speaking of Scarlett, and the running game, I thought we were going to have some success running off tackle early on. This was a weak point that Arkansas had displayed, but evidently they got stronger or we lost confidence. Of course, the OL didn't engender much on this Saturday, not to mention a whole lot this season.
  • Defensively, we got pushed around. Arkansas pretty much did what they wanted on the ground and we had periods where we didn't cover very well at all. This group is either guilty of believing the press clippings and expecting the opponents to bow before them or they're only good and consistent against inferior teams. I'd like to think they are better than what we saw today, but until they defeat an equal or better team, I think I know. Mac's record against ranked teams, as has been pointed out, doesn't inspire a lot of hope in this changing soon.
  • For once, I'd like to not hear Mac say something about "I like this team." We all assume that, but it makes me think that they're emotionally fragile and have to be constantly reassured. I'd really like to hear him say "We got our ass beat and we've got to find some guys, players and coaches, who cannot allow this to happen." I'm not going to hold my breath unfortunately.
  • Crazy thought popped into my head this afternoon...what if Mac's next stop (whenever that happens) is with the Raiders and Jack Del Rio?! Crazy, I know but your mind goes to strange places when we are getting dominated like Marcellus Wallace by the Gimp.
Still a lot to play for, but as mentioned earlier, it's squarely on us. The team and coaches either rises (as we've all been waiting for) or they confirm what a growing number are thinking. This is the worst I've felt about a 6-2 record (or equivalent) than I can remember. But I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised in the upcoming games. A plate of crow would be welcomed. Tell me what you think and Go Gators!

C2, thanks again for your timely insights. Some comments:

Offensively, this game was more offensive to watch than some of Treon Harris' late season performances. LDR's weak arm directly contributed to his second interception on the deep throw to Callaway. Appleby could've made that throw.

The lack of energy with which the offense plays is appalling. I watched several other games where the teams played with emotion and purpose and imagination on offense. NC State is a good example. Sometimes I almost nod off waiting for the snap only to see LDR turn and hand off to a running back into the line for a loss. UF seems to operate better when they shift to a modified hurry-up mode. Not Auburn fast but faster than sleep-walking.

Conversely, the defense seems to play with too much energy at times. The D-line aggressively pushes for deep penetration and QB sacks every play and create faults in their gap control. They become susceptible to running back cutbacks and broken arm tackles. Once an RB breaks the first line of defense, it's off to the races...right up the gut.

My offensive player of the game: Eddie Pineiro.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member

Offensively, this game was more offensive to watch than some of Treon Harris' late season performances. LDR's weak arm directly contributed to his second interception on the deep throw to Callaway. Appleby could've made that throw.

The lack of energy with which the offense plays is appalling. I watched several other games where the teams played with emotion and purpose and imagination on offense. NC State is a good example. Sometimes I almost nod off waiting for the snap only to see LDR turn and hand off to a running back into the line for a loss. UF seems to operate better when they shift to a modified hurry-up mode. Not Auburn fast but faster than sleep-walking.

Conversely, the defense seems to play with too much energy at times. The D-line aggressively pushes for deep penetration and QB sacks every play and create faults in their gap control. They become susceptible to running back cutbacks and broken arm tackles. Once an RB breaks the first line of defense, it's off to the races...right up the gut.

Good post Lake... offense is so dull its Muschampion

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
A little light smoke about Mac losing the team. Really hope not but would not be surprised. Anybody know anything concrete? When you're soft on the expectations and have won some games, everything is hunky dory. When you lose, and badly I might add, for the second time this season, those guys that have been constantly reassured, petted and rubbed publicly when they should have been wearing the coach's footprints on their rumps aren't going to take responsibility. They'll usually eat the handler.

So what happened to the McElwain who screamed at Kelvin Taylor and seemed to have the appearance of a stern taskmaster? Did the negative media reaction (and there was plenty) result in him going the other direction? Did some UF higher-up tell him to lay off with the Saban imitations? Aside from the reaction to the hit on DelRio I can't remember him showing any emotion during a game.

That being said, I continue to maintain that excellence at QB, or the lack thereof, is THE key issue to Florida's struggles, going all the way back to 2010. Watch any Sunday highlight show and the teams that win big have a difference maker at the helm. DelRio is said to be a game manager which, if true, could outweigh his physical limitations. So far, he seems as lost at the mental aspects of playing the position as Driskel ever was and he has zero physical attributes with which to overcome the mental mistakes.

From the opening snap it was apparent that Arkansas did not "fear" the UF offense. To me, that had as much to do with their defensive resurrection as any scheme or personnel changes they might have made. If you're not very good on defense but you know the guys you're playing can't really hurt you it gives you great confidence. I don't think it was Florida being uninspired as much as it is that they can't stretch the field or put ANY pressure on an opposing defense. Defensive backs know the ball is never going to be thrown accurately deep down the field. They can play press coverage and help in run support and generally relax as it relates to getting beaten deep.

On those rare occasions where an offensive player gets the ball in space they seem to have zero explosiveness. Say what you want about the Smurfs but at least Rainey and Demps posed the threat of taking the ball the length of the field, even if they only did it against bad teams. I will put some of the lack of offensive playmakers on the Muschamp recruiting years.

I actually sent Ox an "exit email" this week, telling him I was leaving the forum because it had become far too negative. Now I find myself sticking around because I am moving rapidly toward the dark side based on what is happening on the field....and on the recruiting trail. As a non-X&O's fan I would say they HAVE to make a change at QB this week.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks Lake and I certainly agree with your points. My experience has been that most teams will follow their coach as he leads them and many among them will take on his characteristics and expectations at practice and then in the field of play. Ideally, the team learns to be aggressive but under control and to play within and execute the scheme. They also are to learn that when they are on the field, no less than 100% effort is expected and as they grow within this framework, they not only expect this from themselves (becoming a matter of pride and responsibility), but also from their teammates. Truthfully, I can't see enough of this when I watch us play, so I'm feeling like there is a disconnect in this regard. I could be wrong, but something isn't being required.

To your point about the DL looking almost over-aggressive, I'd like to think they are doing so schematically to make up for a lack of size and strength with the hopes that our LB's, that are pretty good (and now injured) can clean up when they are upfield too deep and/or have lost gap control. It's a gamble however you look at it and is unsound at the core of DL play at this level of the game, but necessary when you compare our front to some of the OL's they face. I'm surprised we don't get screened more than we do. We are also susceptible to counters and other misdirection plays when we get too deep, but again I think our LB's have done a good job covering this up until yesterday. Lay some of this at the feet of recruiting.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So what happened to the McElwain who screamed at Kelvin Taylor and seemed to have the appearance of a stern taskmaster? Did the negative media reaction (and there was plenty) result in him going the other direction? Did some UF higher-up tell him to lay off with the Saban imitations? Aside from the reaction to the hit on DelRio I can't remember him showing any emotion during a game.

That being said, I continue to maintain that excellence at QB, or the lack thereof, is THE key issue to Florida's struggles, going all the way back to 2010. Watch any Sunday highlight show and the teams that win big have a difference maker at the helm. DelRio is said to be a game manager which, if true, could outweigh his physical limitations. So far, he seems as lost at the mental aspects of playing the position as Driskel ever was and he has zero physical attributes with which to overcome the mental mistakes.

From the opening snap it was apparent that Arkansas did not "fear" the UF offense. To me, that had as much to do with their defensive resurrection as any scheme or personnel changes they might have made. If you're not very good on defense but you know the guys you're playing can't really hurt you it gives you great confidence. I don't think it was Florida being uninspired as much as it is that they can't stretch the field or put ANY pressure on an opposing defense. Defensive backs know the ball is never going to be thrown accurately deep down the field. They can play press coverage and help in run support and generally relax as it relates to getting beaten deep.

On those rare occasions where an offensive player gets the ball in space they seem to have zero explosiveness. Say what you want about the Smurfs but at least Rainey and Demps posed the threat of taking the ball the length of the field, even if they only did it against bad teams. I will put some of the lack of offensive playmakers on the Muschamp recruiting years.

I actually sent Ox an "exit email" this week, telling him I was leaving the forum because it had become far too negative. Now I find myself sticking around because I am moving rapidly toward the dark side based on what is happening on the field....and on the recruiting trail. As a non-X&O's fan I would say they HAVE to make a change at QB this week.
I feel you 65. You sound to be where I had gotten to in the last two Muschamp years. I hope you'll stick around. I remember feeling like you describe with the negativity, and I try not to pile on too much these days, but I have gotten better about less sugar and more salt, so to speak. I call it like I see it nowadays and it's therapeutic, to me at least. I can tolerate a loss to a team that is better than us on that day if we leave it all out on the field. I don't know that I can honestly say I've seen a complete game this year in that regard, unless it was UK and UGA, and face it, they are both what I'd consider weak sisters.

I liked what Mac did up until the stretch last season. That's when the chinks in the armor started to come into full view for me. His glib nature, that was a little more entertaining than Muschamp in the pressers got old when I started realizing he was saying a lot but revealing little and it was the same conglomeration so of catch phrases and David Crosby-esque "Yeah Man's" and the like. The product on the field has done little to engender the confidence that the fan base is and has been looking for, even though he whetted our appetites at 10-1 heading into the 2-point offensive explosion against the Nole$ last year.

Personally, I'm tired of wandering in the football wilderness for going on 8 years now. I know that sounds unappreciative, but there was only one good season under Muschamp IMO and Mac's star has been dimming since the aforementioned game with F$U last season. I don't want to get to the point where I dread watching us, but face it, we've seen some dreadful play lately. At some point, we've got to quit repairing and get fixed, but my confidence in the current architect is dwindling. Getting "that guy" under center, as you point out, is of extreme importance and I'm now as ready as anyone to at least see Trask or somebody else get some meaningful reps. If this position cannot be played any better than it has thus far, the repairs will continue to be ongoing and one result will be a continuation or decline in what recruiting has been.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with many in this thread. I'm surprised we're all not typing with neck braces on from the whiplash. We go from the 'loving at heart' Frat interventions of likeable Zook, to the task master Champion-will not fail asylum warden in Meyer, to the almost psychotic emotional bipolar Muschamp, to the pulse less social services-boys club manager in Mac. Our Team identity is schizophrenic at best. The best of the group... 'the circle of life task master'... hence it appears to me, a sports simpleton, that a task master who personally deplores losing in their own lives is better. As Cover mentions, the kids feed and emulate their "sideline father". We need that guy at the helm. I don't know who that is, again I just go with what my eyes are seeing, but I do know UF makes enough money to get that guy. IMHO

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I spent the afternoon at a memorial, and it was a very beautiful, touching, loving ceremony. Didn't really think much of the game until I got home and checked the scores.................................when does basketball season start again?

I don't think basketball season is going to make you happy.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
What really disappoints me is how we are losing. I'm okay with losses as long as we are competitive and improving specifically on offense which MAC was hired to fix. Yet we are getting pummeled out there late in the season to a 3-loss Ark team. The final score 31-10 against ARK and 27-3 last year against FSU looked like they were playing FBS teams.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
C2, sadly I concur. We don't seem to have any toughness, mental or physical for a few years. Sure we have tough players, but not overall.
As thin as we are at LB, I can't imagine going with power rushes and expecting the LB to clean it up. Against Ga, they started with no gap control, then cleaned it up in the second. DBWho keeps getting torched.
And apparently we must have a D minded coach because he is certainly not O minded. Stack the box and we can't run and no one fears the pass.
Burned my gator shirt and hat in a bonfire last night. Figured maybe something new will help.

Go Gatots, stay stromg

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hello all, I am new to GatorChatter and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm probably one of four or five fans stuck in Massachusetts but my heart is in Gainesville. I just needed somewhere to vent after that debacle of a game. That was so sorry.

Welcome to GatorChatter. We're not all the sharpest tools in the shed, but we're Gators so that makes us family.
:grouphug:

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
Dearest Cover - Spot on analysis, as always... that said, all you needed to write was - "UF SUCKS!" - would've been spot on as well.

I was fortunate yesterday as I took a nap around 2 pm, with the intent of waking up for the game however, slept through it... saved myself a ton of angst... like many here, I'm done with this team... for me, the season is over.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
According to the member who coined the phrase, he called him Butters because of his buttery yellow teeth. Had no idea there was a South Park character named Butters.

For a capsuled glimpse at South Park's Butters, just take a look at my avatarnish. :confused:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Our Team identity is schizophrenic at best.

... to complete the diagnosis Gators' HC is bidolar. (root-word dolar meaning grief)
I prescribe for Mac some rounds of electroshock therapy. (let Law at the switch.)

PS>> If my caught-glimpse was true : Mac has had his teeth professionally whitened.
(That's with a painted-on severe chemical exposed for 1 hour to a real-close UV Light.)
The yellow has left his teeth and now resides in his coaching soul.

Last edited:

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Like I texted my nephew CJ in the 1st qtr, if our defense doesn't play the gap ala TaM in the 1st half a few years back, we are going to get run. Too much over pursuit, not playng assingment football, too much "poor Zone" coverage, etc, etc, etc.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I feel you 65. You sound to be where I had gotten to in the last two Muschamp years. I hope you'll stick around. I remember feeling like you describe with the negativity, and I try not to pile on too much these days, but I have gotten better about less sugar and more salt, so to speak. I call it like I see it nowadays and it's therapeutic, to me at least. I can tolerate a loss to a team that is better than us on that day if we leave it all out on the field. I don't know that I can honestly say I've seen a complete game this year in that regard, unless it was UK and UGA, and face it, they are both what I'd consider weak sisters.

I liked what Mac did up until the stretch last season. That's when the chinks in the armor started to come into full view for me. His glib nature, that was a little more entertaining than Muschamp in the pressers got old when I started realizing he was saying a lot but revealing little and it was the same conglomeration so of catch phrases and David Crosby-esque "Yeah Man's" and the like. The product on the field has done little to engender the confidence that the fan base is and has been looking for, even though he whetted our appetites at 10-1 heading into the 2-point offensive explosion against the Nole$ last year.

Personally, I'm tired of wandering in the football wilderness for going on 8 years now. I know that sounds unappreciative, but there was only one good season under Muschamp IMO and Mac's star has been dimming since the aforementioned game with F$U last season. I don't want to get to the point where I dread watching us, but face it, we've seen some dreadful play lately. At some point, we've got to quit repairing and get fixed, but my confidence in the current architect is dwindling. Getting "that guy" under center, as you point out, is of extreme importance and I'm now as ready as anyone to at least see Trask or somebody else get some meaningful reps. If this position cannot be played any better than it has thus far, the repairs will continue to be ongoing and one result will be a continuation or decline in what recruiting has been.

C2, this started before the FSU game last year. Remember all those games after LSU where the offense was atrocious and we had trouble closing the games out.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2, this started before the FSU game last year. Remember all those games after LSU where the offense was atrocious and we had trouble closing the games out.
You're right Rocket, but I think, for me at least, we still won and that was both salve for the rash Muschamp left and also a blinder for the problems that would eventually surface when the L's came at the end. Little did I know that the end was really the beginning of what we've been chewing on this year. I didn't think that LDR was going to be great by any means because face it, a guy at his third school isn't there because he's lit it up at the previous two stops. He was as good as he was going to be pre-injury. And he's still under center :facepalm: and we're still having trouble closing games.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember all those games after LSU where the offense was atrocious and we had trouble closing the games out.
Yes, and remember all the games before LSU (except Mizzu)? Same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.