Bits & Pieces: Florida vs FSU

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
First play after ETN returned the kickoff after the safety to the nole 46 yard line. If Wilson simply keeps this ball on a regular sweep play, look at the blocking. With his speed he picks up close to ten yards on first down, maybe more. But alas, when this screenshot was taken he had just flipped the ball back to the other receiver, Jackson I believe, who is about to run it right back into the teeth of the defense and give it back to poor Max Brown who grounds the ball suffering a 14 yard loss on the play. I think we should find a good name for this sort of play. I think "Tater gonna Tate" has a nice ring to it.
View attachment 64493

View attachment 64495

View attachment 64496
And look at the defense maintaining the edge and not chasing. LB's waiting and reading. They new what we were running they just waited for it to come back.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Losers find a way to lose. Other than 2X (Utah giving us the game by not running in his very first game and the sole true comeback I can think of against a bad SC this year), this staff loses consistently finds a way to lose. I think we all knew/felt it after the botched trick play. And we would have been right.

Losers lose and our ADs (both of them) can't pick a winner out of a lineup because they pick people they either (1) know or (2) like.

The biggest winners in college football (or the NFL for the most part) are not likeable, good guys. They are single purpose driven a$$holes who win run through anyone and anything that stands as even a slight impediment to the momentum towards their goals. Saban, Spurrier, Meyer, Smart, (even Dabo's fake BS), Bear Bryant, Belicheck, Lombardi, Halas, Landry, Shula, etc. The only exception I can think of, and it might be a fake persona if you listen to some former players, is Pete Carrol.

Yet, we keep hiring familiar or nice. Not nearly psychotic winners. As everyone has now observed, until the AD's office is fumigated, this is all pointless.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only positive to this game, and season, being mercifully over is that Kimber and Marshall will never grace the field again for the O&B. I can’t think of a more overrated db duo in history.

I can count probably at least 50 missed or never attempted tackles they’re each responsible for. It’s disgraceful
YES!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only positive to this game, and season, being mercifully over is that Kimber and Marshall will never grace the field again for the O&B. I can’t think of a more overrated db duo in history.arsh

I can count probably at least 50 missed or never attempted tackles they’re each responsible for. It’s disgraceful
Kimber and Marshall to Colorado to play for Prime. he is the king of trying not to tackle.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
We don't have an 'end of season' thread, and as such crap is kinda falling across a handful of threads. So, I'll just put this here for now:

• I am grateful that Mertz turned out better than expected. That was a pleasant surprise.
  • I am grateful that Max Brown was able to step in and step up. That was a complete unknown for me, and I'm pleased with how he did. Some of those passes were 'WOW'.
  • I'm grateful we've had TE and MJ at RB this year. I wasn't too upset that MoJo was starting the bulk of the season, as I figured it is part loyalty from CBN to his guy from LaTech and more so to have the power bruiser wear on the defense in games, which in turn made TE look even better and have more success.
  • I'm grateful for our kicker - yeah, he missed a few clutch ones down the stretch but for the most part he was another pleasant surprise. I'm sure we could do better, but it is clearly not a priority for anyone involved.
  • I have no idea who is graduating/transferring out. Don't much care. I do, however, want this to be the last 'mass exodus' wave we have to deal with so the coach has 'his guys'. I felt he had 'his guys' going into this year given the turnover we already experienced. If it continues, my opinion of CBN will fall further.
  • I don't have much idea what's available via portal or how much of the current recruiting class will stick and what can be added. I care, but am leaning on quality Players (character AND ability) having joined in the last 2y and earning a ton of playing time. I hope that experience helps us get over the hump and sets a higher standard for classes that follow.
  • Coaching
    • It is beyond clear we need a dedicated ST coach. Period.
    • It is even more clear we ABSOLUTELY need an OC to run the offense and get CBN out of that role. I realize it's gotta be someone CBN is comfortable with, but it needs to be someone that will take control and not just be a 'yes' man and pass thru CBNs calls. We would have a lot more success this season were it not for CBNs head scratchers.
    • 2y in and our OL is horrible. Having TWO coaches is not making this better - they ought to be killing it in terms of recruiting in that they can apply twice the focus and love on a potential player. Moreover they can apply twice the coaching and asschewing on the field. Instead, we have the what appears to be NO coaches, rather than one in control or two sharing the role. Get rid of one (or both) and hire that OC. I dread the idea CBN will simply promote one of those two to OC to separate them and clearly have a 'who owns what' structure....and whichever gets promoted simply echoes CBNs calls.
    • I want to cut AA some slack being his first year with our players. Love the enthusiasm, but don't know how much of our on-field problems are due to a lack of coaching (staff issue) or a lack of hearing and learning from the coaches (player issue). There are some basics (tackling) that every program needs to re-enforce, it ought to be part of every practice to where you don't talk about it, it's a natural expectation that is executed daily.

1. Do I believe we have the right roster yet? Mostly, but there are glaring deficiencies (OL, LB, DB).
  2. Do I believe next year will be better? Honestly, no. The schedule gets tougher, something many on here expecting improvement and more success appear to be ignoring. But I'm with them when it comes to expecting incremental improvement, which I feel our defense did at times and then regressed. Same with our offense this season opening things up midway...then falling back into turtle running game. I don't see the roster getting much better, regardless of recruits/transfers/grads. We were close in several games and found a way to lose - unless the coaching changes, those close losses will get uglier.
  3. Do I believe CBN is the guy? Watching 2y of CBN game mismanagement, no. He can set up a quality program with quality players...but he HAS to get some quality coaches in place to address his deficiencies. He didn't seem to trust Max B in the last game, and the QB made some unreal throws = wasted our WR corps and made us one dimensional. Then there is the triple flea flicking bush league call when you have a freshman QB starting his first game and we've had their DL in our backfield every play up to that point. I don't have faith in CBN as OC, and if we don't get a real OC he will seal his own fate early in the season.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We don't have an 'end of season' thread, and as such crap is kinda falling across a handful of threads. So, I'll just put this here for now:

• I am grateful that Mertz turned out better than expected. That was a pleasant surprise.
  • I am grateful that Max Brown was able to step in and step up. That was a complete unknown for me, and I'm pleased with how he did. Some of those passes were 'WOW'.......
  1. Do I believe CBN is the guy? Watching 2y of CBN game mismanagement, no. He can set up a quality program with quality players...but he HAS to get some quality coaches in place to address his deficiencies. He didn't seem to trust Max B in the last game, and the QB made some unreal throws = wasted our WR corps and made us one dimensional. Then there is the triple flea flicking bush league call when you have a freshman QB starting his first game and we've had their DL in our backfield every play up to that point. I don't have faith in CBN as OC, and if we don't get a real OC he will seal his own fate early in the season.
Nice Post all the way around. He may be here next year and beyond. But the lack of completeness and detail suggests he's never going to be better than a Richt type even with top 5 talent. But, so it goes. Maybe the best outcome long term is that he fails to make the changes needed and is forced to move on next year at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.