Bits & Pieces: Florida vs FSU

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I can't agree with "can only be referred to as a coat hanger abortion of a game and plan by simple bill..."

Take away 2 stupid penalties on the players, that gave FSU 1st downs that led to TDs, we probably win that game. Billy had the one excruciatingly bad play call on the reverse, Kicker missed 2 field goals. Overall, we were very competitive. Probably the defense's best game of the year in terms of effort and execution. Tackling still an issue.

But there are no do-overs. We're a 5-7 team, and as somebody said, you are what your record says you are.

We really, really, really, really desperately need two quality experienced OTs from the portal.
Billy had 1 bad play call? Did you even watch the second half? The entire thing was a freaking disaster. The only thing that sucks worse than tater is tater's offense.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I can't agree with "can only be referred to as a coat hanger abortion of a game and plan by simple bill..."

Take away 2 stupid penalties on the players, that gave FSU 1st downs that led to TDs, we probably win that game. Billy had the one excruciatingly bad play call on the reverse, Kicker missed 2 field goals. Overall, we were very competitive. Probably the defense's best game of the year in terms of effort and execution. Tackling still an issue.

But there are no do-overs. We're a 5-7 team, and as somebody said, you are what your record says you are.

We really, really, really, really desperately need two quality experienced OTs from the portal.
Yes, we need offensive lineman, but we need defensive linemen, linebackers and secondary. We do not have a defense capable of a whole game; poor tackling at the end of our last two games cost us both of them.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My questions are for sandlot:

1. You worked for Kirby. Did you take any notes?
2. UGA players say the games are won on Tuesday, their toughest practice day of the week. What say you?
3. Tackling - heard of it?
4. Is there a reason why our DBs are afraid to tackle and why do you subject them to playing every week? UGA and Bama's DBs tackle.

I will say this, Denson came in and made some form tackles early on. Then, Hill came in and I don't remember seeing Denson again.I thought Denson was reverting back to his high school days when he was making tackles because he sure didn't learn that here.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Yes, we need offensive lineman, but we need defensive linemen, linebackers and secondary. We do not have a defense capable of a whole game; poor tackling at the end of our last two games cost us both of them.
We need everything, transfer portal could make our LOS at least avg, but will BN spend 6 weeks vetting every single potential transfer while FSU and Ole Miss stockpile players like last year

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
7 total takeaways all season. Even a mediocre Gator defense should be averaging over 1 per game, and we have 7 total for the entire year. If you're wondering how bad that is, there is only one team in the entire 133 team FBS that has fewer takeaways. Probably the most unbelievably bad stat from another unbelievably bad year.
You know, if anybody needed convincing of just how impotent our defense is/was, this stat should help clear things up. Now if somebody had access to one of those giant university-sized computers to calculate the missed tackles, ‘cause that’s about what it would take to work with a figure that high, it should provide more than enough justification for a refitting.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thats Dave Doeker, a GA. Let's don't get carried away with our guys showing some emotion after what should have probably been an unnecessary roughness penalty.
Yeah, well when you run into the tackler standing up higher than a camel c*ck, you’re kinda inviting that. Of course it shoulda been a penalty, but the no-call was a payback to Norvell for getting in the ref’s @ss on the roughing call early in the game. It happens, but young Eugene Wilson III will hopefully learn how to better protect himself should he find himself in a similar position. GA, position coach, whatever, that look doesn’t help anybody out.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Some of our issues on the Defense can & should be somewhat mitigated by strength & conditioning, experience, and coaching.

But the current OTs don't have the athletic talent necessary for the SEC. (And/or they are out of their "natural" positions.) No amount of coaching can fix that. And the offense is incapable of sustained success because of that factor. We simply cannot keep decent edge rushers from getting to the QB, and quickly.

No question, we should be better with more defensive linemen, linebackers, and secondary.

However, we are doomed to another year of hopeless misery without major upgrades at OT.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
My questions are for sandlot:

1. You worked for Kirby. Did you take any notes?
2. UGA players say the games are won on Tuesday, their toughest practice day of the week. What say you?
3. Tackling - heard of it?
4. Is there a reason why our DBs are afraid to tackle and why do you subject them to playing every week? UGA and Bama's DBs tackle.

I will say this, Denson came in and made some form tackles early on. Then, Hill came in and I don't remember seeing Denson again.I thought Denson was reverting back to his high school days when he was making tackles because he sure didn't learn that here.
No argument about a few of the secondary guys making better tackles, but I say it all the time. When you are complimenting DB's and S's on their tackling, you are not going to win a lot of games. We need guys who can cover with proper technique and understand down and distance. The days of big hitting is over. No need. Have to be able to cover (we have no one) and make tackles immediately (we have few)

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
7 total takeaways all season. Even a mediocre Gator defense should be averaging over 1 per game, and we have 7 total for the entire year. If you're wondering how bad that is, there is only one team in the entire 133 team FBS that has fewer takeaways. Probably the most unbelievably bad stat from another unbelievably bad year.

I bet we squandered at least 10 opportunities to get turnovers. I remember seeing many dropped int’s and a couple of times we failed to fall on a fumble with a couple players right there. This defense was anything but opportunistic, that’s for sure.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
We need everything, transfer portal could make our LOS at least avg, but will BN spend 6 weeks vetting every single potential transfer while FSU and Ole Miss stockpile players like last year
The crapper of this is...that is what that huge staff should have been doing already. Film should have been watched a season.

They should already have feelers out to families, trainers and HS coaches of D2 and FCS players that are at the top of their divisions to gage possible interest and let them know we are watching and would be interested should they decide to enter the portal.

This is how other teams jump on players the day after they announce entering the portal.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The 1149th time this season we got a pass interference call on a underthrown pass because our DB's don't see the WR slowing down to adjust and turn their head to play the ball...
Perplexing, right? Terrible form. They do that in practice or that they don't get practice on sideline routes because they are playing our offense, which doesn't run conventional routes? No answer.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The spitting was not acceptable but at the very least I could understand the frustration.

This is unacceptable. Evidence that even the "behind the scenes foundation" is a lie. Billy has no control and all that crap about character was exposed last night.

Was a definite WTF? moment.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
.8 PASSES that I counted that a middle school safety or CB would have intercepted and we got NONE....The 1149th time this season we got a pass interference call on a underthrown pass because our DB's don't see the WR slowing down to adjust and turn their head to play the ball...
Sooo what you're saying is even Corey Raymond, the most experienced coach on staff, can't coach these kids?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First play after ETN returned the kickoff after the safety to the nole 46 yard line. If Wilson simply keeps this ball on a regular sweep play, look at the blocking. With his speed he picks up close to ten yards on first down, maybe more. But alas, when this screenshot was taken he had just flipped the ball back to the other receiver, Jackson I believe, who is about to run it right back into the teeth of the defense and give it back to poor Max Brown who grounds the ball suffering a 14 yard loss on the play. I think we should find a good name for this sort of play. I think "Tater gonna Tate" has a nice ring to it.
Screen Shot 2023-11-26 at 9.39.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-26 at 9.39.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-26 at 9.40.31 PM.png

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Sooo what you're saying is even Corey Raymond, the most experienced coach on staff, can't coach these kids?
Raymond came in from LSU as a splash hire for the defense and recruiting. Looked like we were gonna be out of the woods for good secondary coverage and tackling. None of that has happened, and where has Raymond been? Why all the fanfare for Corey Raymond? He should be out front loudly coaching these guys up because our D backfield play remains abysmal with high school level (at best) skills on coverage, and tackling remains a total joke for every team member, not just the secondary. Watching a guy like Kimber not even try to tackle makes you wonder how bad are the backups?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The only positive to this game, and season, being mercifully over is that Kimber and Marshall will never grace the field again for the O&B. I can’t think of a more overrated db duo in history.

I can count probably at least 50 missed or never attempted tackles they’re each responsible for. It’s disgraceful

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
The only positive to this game, and season, being mercifully over is that Kimber and Marshall will never grace the field again for the O&B. I can’t think of a more overrated db duo in history.

I can count probably at least 50 missed or never attempted tackles they’re each responsible for. It’s disgraceful
Kimber has zero interest in contact. He better have a plan for after school cause he has no chance in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.