Bits & Pieces: Florida vs FSU

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After a promising start that saw us play uncharacteristically well defensively and keep the Noles on their heels while scoring a TD, a FG, and a safety in the second quarter to lead 12-0, it looked as though Billy and Co. might be on the verge of finally putting together a somewhat complete game. The defense was keeping Nole backup QB Tate Rodemaker on his heels and were stymying their ground game. But another theme began to emerge…dumb mistakes began to pop up. A personal foul and one of our D-Linemen ejected for SPITTING on an opponent! It was to be the first sign of our final game Football Apocalypse. With their possession kept alive, the Noles would score with 00:26 remaining in the half and gain both momentum and confidence. They also would get the ball to begin the second half. It was at this point that I could feel this scene beginning to unfold in my mind’s eye…

1701004642500.gif

The self-inflicted wounds would continue as did the Noles capture of the momentum. RB Benson would score on a 36 yard run, running past the Two-Hand Touch attempt by Jalen Kimber (sound familiar?) to score a TD and the Noles had their first lead. All we could muster after that was a final Trey Smack FG to briefly take back the lead at 05:58 in the third. Smack had missed two previous attempts that could have added some pressure and urgency to the Noles’ task and his struggles were a part of the in-game decline we were seeing unfold. A little further along, we would lose Jaydon Hill on a targeting call when he and another defense mate clobbered Rodemaker as he began a slide after being flushed from the pocket. The penalty also extended the Nole possession and lead to a score. And just like that, the promising start and the engendered hope that it brought was summarily vanquished. The season would end as the twisted framework of the Gator football infrastructure lay smoldering in a heap at BHG.

Billy was not immune from mistakes as he produced a head-scratching call on a reverse pitch back pass that the Noles swallowed up and forced Max Brown into a grounding penalty, a loss of down, and eventually a punt and a Nole score. We had problems blocking the Noles pass rush on conventional passing plays; why on earth would Billy think that our fortunes would change on something as slow to develop as this? But that is who Billy has showed us that he is as an OC. And poor Max, despite a couple of nice throws early and a couple of keeps, it was clear that our OL wasn’t going to be able to protect him and he would not enjoy some of the same success he experienced against Missouri when he took over for an injured Graham Mertz. Makes me wonder if we’d have faired better with a healthy Mertz and his leadership?

Penalties were a factor as we were flagged 8 times for 90 yds. Even though we had an ACC crew courtesy of AD Scott Stricklin that reversed the change in conference crews after the Jack Childress-led ACC ”Swindle in the Swamp” in ‘93, I’d have to say that honestly, most of the penalties we committed were pretty legit save one holding call that comes to mind. I thought they actually screwed the Noles early on an unnecessary roughness call on a sack of Max Brown. At any rate, we created more problems for ourselves than any outside factors could account for.

Bright spots were Montrell Johnson, who rushed for 107 and a TD on 18 carries. He was forced to carry much of the load after Etienne, who started, got banged up. The D was pretty salty early on, stopping the Noles for much of the first half and even registering a Safety. It was good to see them flying around and putting pressure on the opponents. But for all the good that was happening in the first half, the OL struggles were highlighted and the offense ran in the ditch and couldn’t get unstuck to keep up with the Noles’ second half surge. On the D side, the excitement and energy that started the game and lasted until just before the half gave way to the familiar Spector of missed tackles. Add to that the aforementioned penalties and the result was an inability to win a close game late for the second game in a row when a chance seemed earlier at hand.

No bright lights and balloons at this point. We go into the off season at 5-7. No bowl game, no extra practice time. Way more questions than answers. Paramount are 1) can Billy and staff effectively mine the transfer portal for good help immediately on both sides of the ball, 2) can he hang onto the incoming freshmen class, 3) will he make some needed staff changes (OC, subtractions/additions)? I’m no prognosticator, but with next year’s schedule being pretty tough, I feel confident in saying that if Billy cannot find a way to knock these three areas out of the park AND embrace the CEO role as head coach, leaving the play calling to hopefully a competent and effective hire, I don’t see much of a way for him to survive next season, much less beyond. I guess anything is possible, but the Leopard usually doesn’t change his spots and Billy is nothing if not consistent and thus far not in a winning way. There’s always hope, but as we should all know by now, that’s not the plan we need.

Fellow Gators, though I’m not personally happy with the program’s trajectory nor the length of time we’ve languished after such great runs under Spurrier and Meyer, I am glad to have the opportunity to share thoughts on the games and the program. I truly believe there are better days ahead, but I also believe there’s got to be some dynamic changes to occur before this happens. Here’s to sooner than later! Go Gators!

:chomp:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's about as positive a spin on what can only be referred to as a coat hanger abortion of a game and plan by simple bill and his ridiculous band of idiots.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
After a promising start that saw us play uncharacteristically well defensively and keep the Noles on their heels while scoring a TD, a FG, and a safety in the second quarter to lead 12-0, it looked as though Billy and Co. might be on the verge of finally putting together a somewhat complete game. The defense was keeping Nole backup QB Tate Rodemaker on his heels and were stymying their ground game. But another theme began to emerge…dumb mistakes began to pop up. A personal foul and one of our D-Linemen ejected for SPITTING on an opponent! It was to be the first sign of our final game Football Apocalypse. With their possession kept alive, the Noles would score with 00:26 remaining in the half and gain both momentum and confidence. They also would get the ball to begin the second half. It was at this point that I could feel this scene beginning to unfold in my mind’s eye…

View attachment 64468

The self-inflicted wounds would continue as did the Noles capture of the momentum. RB Benson would score on a 36 yard run, running past the Two-Hand Touch attempt by Jalen Kimber (sound familiar?) to score a TD and the Noles had their first lead. All we could muster after that was a final Trey Smack FG to briefly take back the lead at 05:58 in the third. Smack had missed two previous attempts that could have added some pressure and urgency to the Noles’ task and his struggles were a part of the in-game decline we were seeing unfold. A little further along, we would lose Jaydon Hill on a targeting call when he and another defense mate clobbered Rodemaker as he began a slide after being flushed from the pocket. The penalty also extended the Nole possession and lead to a score. And just like that, the promising start and the engendered hope that it brought was summarily vanquished. The season would end as the twisted framework of the Gator football infrastructure lay smoldering in a heap at BHG.

Billy was not immune from mistakes as he produced a head-scratching call on a reverse pitch back pass that the Noles swallowed up and forced Max Brown into a grounding penalty, a loss of down, and eventually a punt and a Nole score. We had problems blocking the Noles pass rush on conventional passing plays; why on earth would Billy think that our fortunes would change on something as slow to develop as this? But that is who Billy has showed us that he is as an OC. And poor Max, despite a couple of nice throws early and a couple of keeps, it was clear that our OL wasn’t going to be able to protect him and he would not enjoy some of the same success he experienced against Missouri when he took over for an injured Graham Mertz. Makes me wonder if we’d have faired better with a healthy Mertz and his leadership?

Penalties were a factor as we were flagged 8 times for 90 yds. Even though we had an ACC crew courtesy of AD Scott Stricklin that reversed the change in conference crews after the Jack Childress-led ACC ”Swindle in the Swamp” in ‘93, I’d have to say that honestly, most of the penalties we committed were pretty legit save one holding call that comes to mind. I thought they actually screwed the Noles early on an unnecessary roughness call on a sack of Max Brown. At any rate, we created more problems for ourselves than any outside factors could account for.

Bright spots were Montrell Johnson, who rushed for 107 and a TD on 18 carries. He was forced to carry much of the load after Etienne, who started, got banged up. The D was pretty salty early on, stopping the Noles for much of the first half and even registering a Safety. It was good to see them flying around and putting pressure on the opponents. But for all the good that was happening in the first half, the OL struggles were highlighted and the offense ran in the ditch and couldn’t get unstuck to keep up with the Noles’ second half surge. On the D side, the excitement and energy that started the game and lasted until just before the half gave way to the familiar Spector of missed tackles. Add to that the aforementioned penalties and the result was an inability to win a close game late for the second game in a row when a chance seemed earlier at hand.

No bright lights and balloons at this point. We go into the off season at 5-7. No bowl game, no extra practice time. Way more questions than answers. Paramount are 1) can Billy and staff effectively mine the transfer portal for good help immediately on both sides of the ball, 2) can he hang onto the incoming freshmen class, 3) will he make some needed staff changes (OC, subtractions/additions)? I’m no prognosticator, but with next year’s schedule being pretty tough, I feel confident in saying that if Billy cannot find a way to knock these three areas out of the park AND embrace the CEO role as head coach, leaving the play calling to hopefully a competent and effective hire, I don’t see much of a way for him to survive next season, much less beyond. I guess anything is possible, but the Leopard usually doesn’t change his spots and Billy is nothing if not consistent and thus far not in a winning way. There’s always hope, but as we should all know by now, that’s not the plan we need.

Fellow Gators, though I’m not personally happy with the program’s trajectory nor the length of time we’ve languished after such great runs under Spurrier and Meyer, I am glad to have the opportunity to share thoughts on the games and the program. I truly believe there are better days ahead, but I also believe there’s got to be some dynamic changes to occur before this happens. Here’s to sooner than later! Go Gators!

:chomp:
Kudos to you Cover for having to endure all that again for a recap.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We all love ya, Cover....but you didn't have to do this....I want to say I'm proud of the defense BUT....spitting and giving them a 1st down which led to a TD....8 PASSES that I counted that a middle school safety or CB would have intercepted and we got NONE....The 1149th time this season we got a pass interference call on a underthrown pass because our DB's don't see the WR slowing down to adjust and turn their head to play the ball...

Sorry I just can't....

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's about as positive a spin on what can only be referred to as a coat hanger abortion of a game and plan by simple bill and his ridiculous band of idiots.
Durty, only a medieval midwife or a degenerate such as myself would use “a coat hanger abortion of a game” as a descriptor! You are hereby awarded a “c2 Pulitzer” for this insight! Kudos my man! This was a high point!

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Many thanks Cover, I know you aren't feeling your best. Thank you for the write up.
You are spot on.
A leopard doesn't change it's spots.
A loser, is a loser and can never be a winner.

We will be losers, until we get rid of the stench in this program from the last three hires.

Anything less than changing the so called, leadership, in this program, will result in the same product on the field.
Losers. Like Kimber playing two hand touch, losers.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We all love ya, Cover....but you didn't have to do this....I want to say I'm proud of the defense BUT....spitting and giving them a 1st down which led to a TD....8 PASSES that I counted that a middle school safety or CB would have intercepted and we got NONE....The 1149th time this season we got a pass interference call on a underthrown pass because our DB's don't see the WR slowing down to adjust and turn their head to play the ball...

Sorry I just can't....
Appreciate it Crete, but that’s what I signed on for. At least my liver is still in good health, though I’m afraid that might not last much longer if some things don’t change and PDQ :lol:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
7 total takeaways all season. Even a mediocre Gator defense should be averaging over 1 per game, and we have 7 total for the entire year. If you're wondering how bad that is, there is only one team in the entire 133 team FBS that has fewer takeaways. Probably the most unbelievably bad stat from another unbelievably bad year.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks Cover for all your efforts. I think the Spitting was the 2nd piece of the proverbial Apocalypse. I think the double reverse flea flicker, half back, double dribble BS was the start. You mentioned all the facts, but after returning the kick following the safety into plus territory, Billy Taggert's play book says "shot play" I get it, Football play calling 101. However analytics is for losers, game flow is for winners. As mentioned, the CLOWNS D Line was in our backfield on almost every snap before our O -Linemen were out of their stance. So how are you going to properly execute a play that is designed to look like a Chinese Fire Drill? With the team as constructed last night a Shot Play would be standard, max protection, 3 or 5 step drop, no play action and throw a 50-50 ball down the sideline. That is it. Game Flow switched on one play due to our HC. Does not mean the result of the game would have changed , but the sequence following clearly would have been different. 2nd and 400 is different than 2nd and 10.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Cover2, another exceptional writeup. The feeling during the first half was one of holy cow where was this team several weeks ago. Then, as is ordained, things went to hell in a hand basket. Self inflicted screwups began to enter into what was previously a positive trend. Stupid penalties, poor tackling,(or no effort to make tackles), crappy play calling, and a general lackadaisical attitude.
At this point in my life, I don’t expect to see Gator football being any better than it is now. Hopefully, you will see Gator football return to the glory it once enjoyed.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If, after watching the double reverse flea flicker followed by the spitting sequence, you didn't know we were going to lose this game, then you haven't been watching Gator football. We just schyt the bed again and now we have to sleep in it for 9 months.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I really appreciate you Cover, for your perspective and continued temper, relative to the perspective as fans, of this "abortion".

Another fine Coffee with Cover as the rain outside mimics my emotions inside.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If, after watching the double reverse flea flicker followed by the spitting sequence, you didn't know we were going to lose this game, then you haven't been watching Gator football. We just schyt the bed again and now we have to sleep in it for 9 months.
I turned it off at halftime. There was no doubt except how much we lost by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.