Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Idaho

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2

As long as it's not raining, I'll be at the game. Could be a cold wet night.
Definitely cold and wet! 38 degrees with a steady hard mist all game. David slew Goliath as the Bearcats upended Buford 23-20. A blocked punt led to a safety on Buford's opening possession and set the early tone. Bearcats went up 9-0 after a bad snap and turnover by the Wolves. On the night the Bearcats blocked a punt, 2 FGs, and an extra point. They held Buford's QB and pasing game in check on the wet field. Buford got the ball back with less than 2:00 remaining, but their 4th down pass to the end zone was incomplete. Interestingly, they were probably in range for a tying FG, but their FG attempt on their previous possession was blocked.

On the hoof, Buford looked like a college team. Their OL and DL was massive. I think I read where 8 of the top 100 players in Georgia were on their roster. After the coin toss, the Buford team came to midfield yelling and chanting in an attempt to intimidate the Bearcats. Of course, the 'Cats responded and met them there. The teams had to be separated, but it appears that lit a fire under the visitors that inspired them early and gave them momentum on which they capitalized.

Buford's facilities were impressive to me (my first time there), but I understand a new school is in the works. Their stadium and game field was nice and well-manicured, but another field with field turf, bleachers, and a press box and double size practice field with field turf and two sets of goal posts, all sitting adjacent was mind boggling for a high school program. Obviously, there is tremendous support for the program and all combined is a testament to the eleven state championships that are prominently displayed on the scoreboard. Their list of corporate sponsors is impressive as well. But you still have to play the game. My impression was that Buford might not have taken the Bearcats as seriously as they should and the weather definitely hindered their passing game which they looked hell bent on establishing despite a really good back (who had some great moments) and a strong OL. Buford isn't going anywhere and will contend every year, but the young Bearcats move on to meet Stockbridge in the semi's. The vagaries of the game I suppose.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely cold and wet! 38 degrees with a steady hard mist all game. David slew Goliath as the Bearcats upended Buford 23-20. A blocked punt led to a safety on Buford's opening possession and set the early tone. Bearcats went up 9-0 after a bad snap and turnover by the Wolves. On the night the Bearcats blocked a punt, 2 FGs, and an extra point. They held Buford's QB and pasing game in check on the wet field. Buford got the ball back with less than 2:00 remaining, but their 4th down pass to the end zone was incomplete. Interestingly, they were probably in range for a tying FG, but their FG attempt on their previous possession was blocked.

On the hoof, Buford looked like a college team. Their OL and DL was massive. I think I read where 8 of the top 100 players in Georgia were on their roster. After the coin toss, the Buford team came to midfield yelling and chanting in an attempt to intimidate the Bearcats. Of course, the 'Cats responded and met them there. The teams had to be separated, but it appears that lit a fire under the visitors that inspired them early and gave them momentum on which they capitalized.

Buford's facilities were impressive to me (my first time there), but I understand a new school is in the works. Their stadium and game field was nice and well-manicured, but another field with field turf, bleachers, and a press box and double size practice field with field turf and two sets of goal posts, all sitting adjacent was mind boggling for a high school program. Obviously, there is tremendous support for the program and all combined is a testament to the eleven state championships that are prominently displayed on the scoreboard. Their list of corporate sponsors is impressive as well. But you still have to play the game. My impression was that Buford might not have taken the Bearcats as seriously as they should and the weather definitely hindered their passing game which they looked hell bent on establishing despite a really good back (who had some great moments) and a strong OL. Buford isn't going anywhere and will contend every year, but the young Bearcats move on to meet Stockbridge in the semi's. The vagaries of the game I suppose.
Buford has 4 1/2 field turf fields. Two stadiums. And, they play in a grass stadiums.

I was there for the first had but had to leave at half.

The center that snapped high on the first drive, will be in Gainesville next year. Their two other O-Line committs are going to Ohio St and Ole Miss. Their RB is going to TX.

They haven't produced in the last few years but they are a great program. (FYI - I am not a fan)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Buford has 4 1/2 field turf fields. Two stadiums. And, they play in a grass stadiums.

I was there for the first had but had to leave at half.

The center that snapped high on the first drive, will be in Gainesville next year. Their two other O-Line committs are going to Ohio St and Ole Miss. Their RB is going to TX.

They haven't produced in the last few years but they are a great program. (FYI - I am not a fan)
Hate I missed you, but given the weather I don't blame you. As you point out, facilities are second to none. I remember now we have the center lined up and given the field conditions I won't hold the snap against him! They had some really good players, but for the life of me, I don't know why they (and us too) didn't go under center more with the conditions. Their back was good enough to wear us out eventually, but their insistence on passing played into our hands with the speed of our LBs and the blitzes that caused problems. It was a big win for us, no doubt, but Buford's strategy or hard-headedness one helped us out. I imagine that no state titles since 2014 and a loss to what they had to believe was a lesser foe might provide a little heat. Glad we can all celebrate the outcome in Tallahassee today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator