Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That chip block missed by Perine wasn't the only missed block he made that night.....he was horrible in pass protection all night
Im not sure of the play, but it is almost impossible to know what he was assigned to do. Many times TEs and backs get the assignment of chipping just once then running a short outlet route.

theoriginalmadgator

Aug 16, 2019
Im not sure of the play, but it is almost impossible to know what he was assigned to do. Many times TEs and backs get the assignment of chipping just once then running a short outlet route.

Yes, I know what I'm looking for......Perine not only missed a few full blocking assignments he also whiffed on a couple of chips on the edge before fanning out as a safety valve in the flat that led to one or two sacks.

there was a really bad one in the second half on #18. LP gave a half hearted effort at leaning in for the chip on the edge, whiffed completely and the guy got around Forsyth (who is vulnerable to speed rushers)

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
But I'd tell you that about 80% of coaches would run the ball on a 1st and 20/3rd and 20 play. Maybe a draw would've been better, but the idea is to go against the grain of what they're expecting.
If 80% do it, then how does it go against the grain of what defenses are expecting? Sounds exactly what defenses are expecting.

A draw on 3rd and 20 makes a lot more sense to me than one on 1st and 20.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Game came down to one play.
Down 35-28 with 7:30 minutes left, Trask throws an interception in the endzone. Any momentum we had was lost.
LSU scores in less than two minutes on 4 plays and game over.
Even so I doubt we win. We couldn't stop LSU. At best we trade scores and end up in OT.

Looking at our drives:
1) Punt: Three plays two incomplete passes.
2) Touchdown: Five yard pass, after runs for 4 &17 yards by Perine and 12 & 3 by EJ
3) Punt: Four plays; 23yard pass, incomplete pass, 1 yard run, 8 yard scramble
4) Touchdown: EJ circus pass, Perine ran for 10, EJ for 8 & 4, Trask for 12
5) Touchdown: Six yard pass, Davis ran for 4, Perine for 4, EJ for 5, Trask for 3
Halftime
6) Touchdown: Two yard pass, Perine ran for 5, Hammond for 11, Perine for 5 and 4
7) Punt: Three plays, sack, delay of game
8) Punt: EJ 2 yards, 1 yard, incomplete pass
9) Interception: Not the pass Trask should have thrown.
LSU scores 4 plays later, 42-28 with 5:43 left in the game.
10) Meaningless drive

Looking at the drives I was surprised to see that we had some success on the ground. (obviously though that's not all the running plays).
After drive 6, LSU scores and then pinned their ears back for a 3&out on drive 7. EJ went in drive 8 for a change of pace and although he had had some success he got stuffed. I don't have a problem with EJ coming in on that drive.

I'd be willing to bet the house that Mullen would've went for 2 and the lead late, other than take it to OT if he had the choice.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
It was the worst defensive performance in decades. Saying "we played well" is ludicrous.

Without Trask UF loses that game by 40 points.

Had to be the worst defensive performance since Champ gave up over 600 year to Blake Simms and Bama in '14.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
No pressure on Burrow all night is why we lost. Im not happy about some of the offensive play calling at the end of the game, and the bad throw by Trask when we could have tied up it hurt, but despite those things, we lost because our defense got absolutely no pressure on Burrow all night. His jersey was just as clean after the game as it was before. That is why we lost.

The defense got pressure on him like 3 times all game, and every time he was able to run away from it for like a 15 year gain. So frustrating.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If 80% do it, then how does it go against the grain of what defenses are expecting? Sounds exactly what defenses are expecting.

A draw on 3rd and 20 makes a lot more sense to me than one on 1st and 20.

The intent is the same, and in either case, you're basically conceding and hoping for the best. But as I said, if the argument is that the passing game was so on point that 20 yards is nothing, then worst case scenario you still have 2 downs to get it.

And I said 80% would make the call. Not that they'd do it every time. But the idea of trying to do something different, when they're probably expecting pass, and hoping that maybe you could get it back to a 2nd and manageable is not something that's unheard of. Would I have called it, no. But I also wouldn't have called a passing TD from inside the 6(twice), or the throwback to Franks against Lsu last year, etc. But they worked. That's what you get with an aggressive playcaller. Sometimes, you're thrilled with the results, sometimes not. But I think there's been far more good than bad in the last 19 games, so I'll focus on the good.

Again, if it works, it's the right call. It didn't.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The intent is the same, and in either case, you're basically conceding and hoping for the best. But as I said, if the argument is that the passing game was so on point that 20 yards is nothing, then worst case scenario you still have 2 downs to get it.

And I said 80% would make the call. Not that they'd do it every time. But the idea of trying to do something different, when they're probably expecting pass, and hoping that maybe you could get it back to a 2nd and manageable is not something that's unheard of. Would I have called it, no. But I also wouldn't have called a passing TD from inside the 6(twice), or the throwback to Franks against Lsu last year, etc. But they worked. That's what you get with an aggressive playcaller. Sometimes, you're thrilled with the results, sometimes not. But I think there's been far more good than bad in the last 19 games, so I'll focus on the good.

I have no idea why I haven't banned you for life.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Not sure the point in nit picking the offense. I feel better than I have ever have this season with our offense after the LSU game. Our defense got raped. They were helpless. For us to win that game, we would have needed some big time luck. LSU offense is pretty darn good. But I don't think we face them again in ATL if we somehow win out. Alabama O will destroy LSU D.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
Running the ball is important for another reason. To get and keep a play calling advantage over the defense, you have to be in situations where you have a credible array of options. 2nd and 10 and 3rd and 10 are much less difficult to defend than 1st and 10. 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 2 are much more difficult to defend than 1st and 10. So, as a slight paradox, by running effectively on early downs, you make your passing game much more effective overall. We popped for 4 yards number of times on 1st or 2nd down, and it set us up beautifully to repeatedly drive the field with a wide open playbook in the first half.

I also take some exception to the idea of setting up the run with the pass, as SOS used to do a lot in his earlier years. It can work, but it works progressively less well as the quality of your opponent increases. If they can contain your passing game, you’re going to end up with a significant number of 3 and outs. Those are defense killers even if you’re not also trying to overcome a sizable talent differential. If you can run first at least to a degree, all things being equal, yes the Muschump theory can work: your defense should be stronger in the fourth quarter, while hopefully the opponent’s is gassed. Makes a difference in a close game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Not to beat a dead horse but that call up the gut is anything but aggressive.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And I said 80% would make the call. Not that they'd do it every time.
We lined up Trash under center with a tail back and two tights (including Cleveland).

THIS DIDNT FOOL ANYONE on the planet and never would.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not to beat a dead horse but that call up the gut is anything but aggressive.

Probably not the right word choice on my part. He is willing to go against the grain on certain calls at times. Again, if it works, we’re all thrilled. And I’m OK with those that think it was the wrong call. I’m not even in total disagreement. I just don’t consider it to be some egregious head scratcher moment.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
Probably not the right word choice on my part. He is willing to go against the grain on certain calls at times. Again, if it works, we’re all thrilled. And I’m OK with those that think it was the wrong call. I’m not even in total disagreement. I just don’t consider it to be some egregious head scratcher moment.

Just curious, what would be the metric to go along with proof of a perfect play call? What I see around here seems like a mix of gut feeling, supposition, malice, abortive logic, fallacy, projection, and ignorance. Should we score a TD in every play? Get at least 4 yards on every running play, 6 yards on every passing play and no incompletions? Never punt? Is it even imaginable that a coach could call a “perfect” offensive game in some measurable sense?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, I said Im fine w the right run. Lining up under center, showing run in every way possible, and running power isnt it.

It is a head scratcher. it was no doubt the next play on the chart for first down. However, it isnt nearly as head-scratching is what the hell happened to our defense, but I didn't bring it up.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just curious, what would be the metric to go along with proof of a perfect play call? What I see around here seems like a mix of gut feeling, supposition, malice, abortive logic, fallacy, projection, and ignorance. Should we score a TD in every play? Get at least 4 yards on every running play, 6 yards on every passing play and no incompletions? Never punt? Is it even imaginable that a coach could call a “perfect” offensive game in some measurable sense?
Honestly, it is past time to get rid of your moronic ramblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator