Bits & Pieces: Florida vs South Carolina

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Justice Lawyer GIF by DeZao Law

Last night I had possum soup made from Himalayan Possum.

Because I found Himalayan on the road.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We need to continue to show improvement…especially on the OL and defense. Gotta muster a way to get a win against the Dwags, Nulls or Corndogs.
I know SC is a lousy team, but this still feels like a huge step forward for our young team and coaching staff. Poised, gritty and victorious!
:chomp:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Also - some people were banging on Mertz for some reason. Saying that he’s not choosing to throw the ball downfield. I think we can close the book on that. There were play calls that were down the field and he was executing. He is not going to be the QB who can take advantage of our speedsters. He’s not going to chuck it 50 yards. We will have to wait for Lagway for that.

But man he’s been awesome.
I think the coaches told him to look long first and throw them open. There were several times when he had all three tiers open and he chose to go long. Thats a change from normal SOP.

He doesn't have the physical talents of our typical QBs. I think ox? said it best.. he's a mediocre QB that plays up to and a little over consistently.

His toughness has been surprising. He's taken a lot of hits.

We really need better OL play.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz is giving us all he’s got and leading by example on a team that is in dire need of leadership from the players.
What more could we ask of him?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Did anyone mention Smack? All this kid did was keep us in the game all day long , what a job he has done!
Happy locker room pic
IMG_0833.jpeg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We came back, on the road, with two scores in the last 4 mins. It's the best close since BNs been here. The throw to win it reminded me of the Doerings got a touchdown play!

I didn't think this team had it in them and if they did, I didn't think BN could manage the clock and playcalling.

But they did.

Major Kudos!

Looking at the remaining schedule, by the end of the season, we'll be the walking wounded. We are just so young. We have FSU at home so I see a possible emotional win. I see a win against the Humpers (mostly because the line will be back, the young team has a chance to get their legs back, Hambone and his unit has something to prove, they're playing for the lead in the SECE, and the buttsniffers are over confident. Plus... I want it).

I'm not expecting much after Jacksonville. I think they will leave everything they have on the field.

The way I look at it, everything after Jax are just pre-season games for 2024.

Really glad BN, staff, players and fans got the win. Not just the win, but how they won.

Now for the negative: At least 4 FG should have been TDs. That's 16 points. Can't afford to do that on the road (or anytime really). Get the redzone woes fixed.

The DL didnt play with much energy and they didn't play as a unit. Same with LBs. I think they (the entire D) and OL need some time to heal.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Also - some people were banging on Mertz for some reason. Saying that he’s not choosing to throw the ball downfield. I think we can close the book on that. There were play calls that were down the field and he was executing. He is not going to be the QB who can take advantage of our speedsters. He’s not going to chuck it 50 yards. We will have to wait for Lagway for that.

But man he’s been awesome.

Agree. I always felt he was going to be great. It was the name that just jumped off the page to me. Glad others are starting to come around.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I couldn't find my phone for a bit so Coffee with Cover became Crappin with Cover and I gotta say, either works for me as the content covered is quality content.

Go Gators!
:chomp:

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
A lot has been said about the much improved (and more fun to watch) offensive game plan yesterday, but how about the overall coaching and special teams? We’ve justifiably knocked Napier for his bone headed decisions and the lack of attention to detail in the ST, but yesterday I thought he did a great job. The play at the end of the first half to get a FG without a TO was well executed and Napier made all the right decisions, from when to go for 2, to the safety at the end.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Did anyone mention Smack? All this kid did was keep us in the game all day long , what a job he has done!
Happy locker room pic
View attachment 62928

Look at Scott Stricklin’s zoned out, shocked yet relieved, “what a stressful last few hours” face in the back. Pretty much sums up what we’ve been saying about his career being tied to BN. Dude was fried. :lol:

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Look at Scott Stricklin’s zoned out, shocked yet relieved, “what a stressful last few hours” face in the back. Pretty much sums up what we’ve been saying about his career being tied to BN. Dude was fried. :lol:
Was just about to add this. Also, besides the State Trooper they are the only people in that picture that don't' look to happy.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
A lot has been said about the much improved (and more fun to watch) offensive game plan yesterday, but how about the overall coaching and special teams? We’ve justifiably knocked Napier for his bone headed decisions and the lack of attention to detail in the ST, but yesterday I thought he did a great job. The play at the end of the first half to get a FG without a TO was well executed and Napier made all the right decisions, from when to go for 2, to the safety at the end.
Blocked FG.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
, but yesterday I thought he did a great job. The play at the end of the first half to get a FG without a TO was well executed and Napier made all the right decisions, from when to go for 2, to the safety at the end.
Just being a little picky here today but while I know why he did the safety, I don't believe it was necessary.
We were having to punt on 4th regardless and because SC had all 3 timeouts, it only made a diff of about 10 seconds.
Our D would have been fine to close out the game.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz is like the anti- AR.

AR throws bullets, Mertz throws shuttlecocks.
AR is fast and hard to tackle. Mertz is slow and goes down easy.
AR can’t complete a short pass. Mertz completes almost every short pass.
AR is made out of brittle glass. Mertz is made out of titanium and monster truck tires.
AR is quiet, almost sleepy and disinterested. Mertz is a fired up leader who is having the time of his life.
AR is a 4th overall draft pick. Mertz probably won’t make it past a practice squad.
I’m glad AR is gone. I’m glad Mertz is here.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Just being a little picky here today but while I know why he did the safety, I don't believe it was necessary.
We were having to punt on 4th regardless and because SC had all 3 timeouts, it only made a diff of about 10 seconds.
Our D would have been fine to close out the game.
The Morning Show Dont GIF by Apple TV+

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz has been fantastic. Sure he’s left some plays out there which all QBs do, but I couldn’t fathom him playing this well.

To the surprise of everybody, Billy and co may be better talent evaluators than me. Hard pill to swallow.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.