Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennssee

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just Kidding.

We seemed to go into the locker room thinking we were going to win and relied on UT to quit.
This just seems to be who we are and I don't mean that by just Mac's teams. This has always been a frustration of mine with the Gators. It's like our ego is just too big. The other team will just quit. We always play better when we are trailing.

Too much arm tackling and misses. Dobbs made us look silly with his legs and we made him look great as a passer. Hurd rushed for nearly a hundred.
This was the one thing we have all said, ad nauseum, that couldn't happen and there was no way this staff or team was going to let it happen. Yet it did.

Joey Ivie had a chance for a TFL, but instead of a good form tackle, he simply stood upright and reached out to try and grab the ball carrier and I don't think he even snagged a jersey with his fingernails. Inexcusable.
I saw that as well. Just glaring on the tv. A little whiff with the arm.

The official making that call should be suspended. That call should be appealed, but after Martez Ivey's was overturned, I'm not confident there'll be two in a row.
I agree he should be suspended or fined. complete missed call. Ivey's wasn't overturned, it just never existed with the next game suspension. I believe they will get this one right as well.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Mac's in over his head imo, head coach controls all and if that 3rd qtr offense was ok with him then we're kinda screwed

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh and what the hell was that onside kick? He dribbled it right to the first guy on the line who just fell on it without a single Gator anywhere near the play. I mean the guy is only ten yards down the field and he is already on the ball before our first guy covers even half that distance? Worst onside kick ever.
Is there really any doubt in your mind that we have probably never practiced that?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Umm i actually doubt we practice anything on special teams.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think you can tell a lot about how a team is coached overall by watching the special teams play. We are not a well coached team.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just not impressed by the in-game coaching, last year or this year. I know "adjustments at the half" is uttered so often it has become cliche, but other teams just seem to do it better than we do. And the offensive game plan in the second half, run-run-pass-punt, was just awful. Appleby isn't the best QB to ever don the Gator uniform, but he has an arm. We left the long game in the locker room, which allowed Tennessee to focus on the running game.

I did not see a Tennessee team with obviously superior personnel out there yesterday. I did, and I truly hate to say this, see a Tennessee team with better coaching.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Out coached maybe but UT just decided they wanted it more and we obliged with horrible play calling and mediocre effort.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Not to mention Callaway's doing Tennessee's job by faircatching balls inside the 10 yardline multiple times. C'mon!!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, you never fail to disappoint and were spot on as always. Agree with your assessment on AA. I was somewhat surprised and he played well enough to win. When you pass for 296 yards, that's not shabby.

It is definitely hard to remember the good from the first half after the abomination we witnessed in the second half. It was a total meltdown from top to bottom. I think IMO this team, and some of the Jaw Jackin' ones needed a realization check. Hate that it needed to be at the expense of a loss. Teez is a tease, period. Quincy the same, and so on. This team and staff have what it takes to be a great team but they totally blew it yesterday. It's a tougher road for UF now in the East, But UT has a tougher road than we do. We'll see how it all pans out.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
UT learning and stealing our signals/signs and our coaches' failure to notice and prevent that from happening, in the first place, by being proactive on that front and the lack of Cleveland's involvement really bothered me, as well as all of the above. That looked like a bunch of disorganized, dysfunctional and overly confident coaches, in my opinion. I have seldom seen such a failure by a group that should be at the top of their game, not only individually, but, collectively.

I refuse to use it as an excuse for the loss (the coaches own it 100%); yet, I am anxious to do some film study to see just how much UT relie d on their ability to pick off our communications, halfway thru the second quarter and on. What do you guys think? A friend, who was at the game, behind the UT bench, texted me and said that UT was intercepting our communications and even lip-reading to learn what our coaches were telling our players. There's a reason some of the most successful coaches go to great lengths to cover their mouths when they talk and change forms of communication for each game. If UT managed to use this as a means of defeating us, it really doesn'the reflect well on the coaching staff. I'mean going to compare some things to earlier games and last season, to see if I can establish any obvious habits/practices. Any advice from you resident experts would be appreciated. I have to have something to do, instead of lie here taking up space.

Don'the throw in the towel just yet guys. Hopefully, this will be a good thing - one that will serve us well as the year progresses. As noted above, to quit is to fail and I consider it sacrificing one's soul, for the sake of avoiding the pain and strange of overcoming an obstacle. I'd rather die fighting, than live without seeing my footprints behind me.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yeah, that fair-catch at the 2 was one of the dumbest football plays I have ever seen. How doespecially one reach the level of college football and make such a mistake? He shouldn'the even have to be coached-up on that'll by now. SMH

I don'the understand why the one player that our offense really needs is returning kicks, especially, with an injured leg. Can someone explain that to me? The reward isn'the worth the risk, I MO.

Also, where the hell was Cleveland? He made that one play and wasn't utilized again, that I saw. I have been told, by a reliable source, that he could be better than Callaway, during Callaway's freshman seasonot, if given the opportunity.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks '46 (and you, too, J). One motto the teams I used to coach always had was "Never, Ever Give Up!" I still live by it with my health issues and such. I quit something once in my early life and felt filthy. Haven't since and won't again. It's not an admirable quality IMO. I expect that from our coaches and players.

This is why I don't buy into the "use this year to develop talent for next year". Do what you have to do to win the games now, develop talent as that primary focus allows.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Perspective is a beautiful thing.

We still have plenty to play for, and lots of growing to do as a team.

As much as I thought that UT squad wasn't really a great team, they proved me wrong. You can't take your foot off the throttle against teams like that, especially in their house.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It is definitely hard to remember the good from the first half after the abomination we witnessed in the second half. It was a total meltdown from top to bottom. I think IMO this team, and some of the Jaw Jackin' ones needed a realization check. Hate that it needed to be at the expense of a loss. Teez is a tease, period. Quincy the same, and so on. This team and staff have what it takes to be a great team but they totally blew it yesterday. It's a tougher road for UF now in the East, But UT has a tougher road than we do. We'll see how it all pans out.

After watching a season + 3 games and two meh recruiting classes, I don't see that this staff has what it takes to be great. And this team gave up yesterday. Great teams don't give up. A house cleaning needs to happen.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've been supportive of Mac & Co. until now. Yesterday was a game changer. Without delving deep into the details, the play calling went predictably plain vanilla after we went up 21-0, we missed big on assignments on defense, the tackling was shoddy, Callaway went brain dead on a pair of fair catches and, worse still, I sensed quit in some of the players toward the end.

There is never a valid reason for blowing a 21-point lead or squandering 38 straight points. Never.

None of this bodes well for a coaching staff that recruits like Central Florida. These next few weeks heading into the teeth of the schedule are going to lead to renewed hope or a sense that we're biding time til the shoe drops. If I were handicapping either likelihood, I'd probably lean toward the latter. I had hoped for better by this point.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll add this about the on-side kick...I wasn't in favor of it at the time in the game. Thought with two time outs we should have started them on the 25 and played for the 3-and-out (and I'm not just parroting Danielson). Even though we were reeling defensively, you'd think a little momentum/confidence/ want to should have been recaptured and we could have forced a punt and a shorter field. Bad trade for a poor on-side try that resulted in a big, fat sh!t sandwich from the Game Over Deli. Like Zambo, Law, and others have commented, it looked like we hadn't even practiced it. Eddie's kick was with the topspin needed to induce the crazy high bounce, but it was not nearly at a sharp enough angle. Many teams will kick to their sideline and have coach or designated personnel as a target for the kicker. You can't completely overload the side you are kicking to anymore, but most will will use the faster, stronger LB-types to clear out the other team's good hands guys with one of our own coming behind to recover either the bounce or a bobble. If that was our plan...well, it never had a chance.

Special teams is about having 11 on each one with want-to. They have to be precise and efficient and give 100% effort with what they are trying to accomplish, whether it be block/return, kick cover/onside, etc. We are not efficient and that is glaring right now. Calloway's goofs on the fair catches, to me, reek of not enough coaching on that aspect. I know he's a threat to take one back anytime, but he can't be a threat to f**k up the fair catches inside the 10.

Some of you guys will get a big chuckle at this, but when I was early in my coaching career, I learned that spec teams were to be a phase of equal importance to offense and defense. We had pre-practice Monday through Wednesday for the kickers and returners and everybody else learned a lane assignment and practiced coverage. We then spent at least thirty minutes on all of the kick and coverage units and the Thursday walk-through was mostly spec teams with practiced substitutions. It was a strength of our teams and we had a great punt returner a couple of years who was very sure handed. We walled a lot of punts and he usually got good yardage on the returns, but he was also very efficient with the fair catches. Back then when the punt warranted it, he'd put his heels on the 10 and never touch one over his head. If he saw that one was going behind him, he would quickly step up a couple of yards while waving for the fair catch and more often than not the cover team would slow up and surround him. He'd even complete the fake with a phony catch, elbows in. I can't tell you how many balls trickled harmlessly into the end zone. That kid was Kirby Smart! I know the punt-to-pin game has changed somewhat, but I'm not crazy about our approach, especially as ours looks more like an after thought. Again, the whole phase looks in need of new energy and schematic overhaul.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
A duck can't pull a truck... Mac let them run their mouth and be overconfident and guarantee victory.. who does that? Once we got up 21-3, they acted like it was over and Mac coached like it.. disappointed in all 3 phases of play in this game we should have won. Mac let ut back into the game in the second half instead of burying them with his conservative play calling.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Oh and what the hell was that onside kick? He dribbled it right to the first guy on the line who just fell on it without a single Gator anywhere near the play. I mean the guy is only ten yards down the field and he is already on the ball before our first guy covers even half that distance? Worst onside kick ever.

Eddy never kicked an onside kick before. He's a wiz kicking the ball, but he needs to learn technique and it needs to be practiced. I am embarrassed by our lack of preparation for yesterday's game and the absence of team effort in the second half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.