Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Utah

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The television cameras showed a sign somewhere around the stadium that read simply “In Napier We Trust.” You had to expect that after the string of “would-be’s“ that just weren’t the guy. 29-26 win that was in doubt up until Amari Burney smothered a pass in the end zone, hanging on for the interception that snuffed out Utah’s bid for a win. Finding a way to win is a good quality. It tested that trust, but it was fulfilled and Napier begins his tenure in grand fashion by upsetting the #7 Utes and keeping alive the streak of home opener wins at 33. Hell yeah!

If there was any doubt about the QB position, and I can’t imagine there being much, it should be erased. All the guy did in his debut as the undisputed starter was run for 103 yds on 11 carries with 3 TDs and was 17/24 for 169 yds passing. No turnovers, cool but elusive when he had to be in the pocket, and ran the offense with confidence. His runs were effective, exciting, but without reckless abandon. It gave a feel that he’s matured under the new coaching without sacrificing his unique capabilities.

As for Napier, the game looked and felt like we were better-prepared and that we had a plan, didn’t panic, and stuck to it. That didn’t mean that some of us weren’t on the very edge late in the game as the D was bending. Make no mistake, we are not a world class defense, missing some tackles, losing contain on the edge, and not getting a consistent rush, but we were better coached in terms of keeping the ball in front of us and making them keep snapping it. And our guys never lost faith. Even when Utah was driving late for the winning or tying score. We haven’t had that in a bit.

As the Adrenalin we all felt at the end subsided, the thought might have crossed some minds that we might have been kinda vanilla tonight on both sides of the ball. Take away AR and a couple of the backs and our offense was a little middling. The defense, as previously alluded to, was pretty plain excepting two goal line stands. But again, the attention to fundamentals and preparation for the opposition was there along with confidence. It was all pretty old school. Disappointing maybe in this day of high octane football. But effective.

It seemed clear that our roster was less than half with guys who can play SEC football right now and the rest a mixture of “gonna-be’s” and journeymen. It could be argued that it’s pretty similar, if not a little less than last year’s that fell flat. It’s going to take a couple of recruiting cycles and transfers to get us where we need to be, so the coaching will have to be spot on. It wasn’t last year, but we’ve upgraded. That much is pretty clear.

* It was pretty fitting that Burney made the game-saving pick of the ball that was intended for Kuithe, who had 9 receptions for 105 yds and a TD, mostly at Burney’s expense. I can’t say that he was out of position, maybe outclassed by a pretty good TE. The fact that we didn’t really have consistent pressure on their QB only made Burney’s job tougher. But he didn’t quit, playing hard until the final snap. The old coach in me believes that kind of attitude is huge for a successful rebuild.

* I don’t have the defensive stats to look at, but Ventrell Miller looked pretty solid. The secondary were not reminiscent of the Keystone Cops of the last few seasons and at least kept the ball in front of them. The front was not really consistent, allowing 229 rushing yds (90 by their QB). I know the depth isn’t there right now and likely won’t be this year, but again, you’ve got to give them points for the goal line stands and two FGs instead of TDs. Enough can’t be said about the heart in game one and a lot of that comes from how the kids are coached and the expectations placed upon them.

* The OL was pleasingly consistent. They paved the way for 282 rushing yds and gave AR time in the pocket. Our backs were very effective with Etienne and Johnson having strong efforts and likely positioning themselves as the top two with Wright a ways back. There were also a couple of good pickups by these guys in pass pro. If there’s a knock it’s that the Receivers were a bit underwhelming. But we knew that coming in and hopefully they’ll develop as we progress through the schedule. At some point, we’ll need them to stretch the field and do more than block downfield. Who the heck is Ricky Pearsall and where did he come from?! The TEs are ahead of them and Shorter and Zipperer had a few nice routes and catches.

* Special Teams were a little low spot based on the inconsistency of the kicks and punts as well as the attempted returns. Let’s take the ball on the 25. The cover teams could be a little less sticky and cut down on the return yds.

* The lone turnover could have been costly, but we were able to nullify it. Johnson, while showing that he’s up to the task running the ball in a bigger league, needs to shore up his ball security. It‘s easier to correct one that didn’t hurt us than if we’d come up on the bottom end of the scoreboard. The mental stuff is different in the two scenarios.

* The Swamp looked awesome, loud and intimidating, on TV. Whether you want to blame the lulls of the last few seasons on Covid or Mullen, it was great to see it looking as formidable as it once did. That’s what the 12th man stuff is all about.

* And speaking of extra men, was it just me or were those far west officials pretty crappy? Who the heck negotiated them into the game contract? Anyone? Thank goodness it didn’t cost us, but it sure looked like it might.

I have to tell you that the last few years were taking their toll on me and I’ve had to fight the malaise that the Muschamp-Butters-Mullen eras had inflicted. I was very happy with Napier’s hiring and his rebuilding of the football staff and attention to the facilities, yet cautious with my optimism due to Mullen’s lazy a$$ approach to recruiting, discipline, and defense, leaving a lot for the new staff to overcome. Tonight’s victory over a quality ranked team gives cause for a little faith to grow and I can say that my trust in Napier is also building. Might have to put my own sign up in the yard! We’ve still got a hill to climb, but we’ve got a guy willing to do it. He’s got another tough test next week, but there’s more reason for anticipation than apprehension, for the first time in a while. Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Agree, we've got a hill to climb especially on D that got pushed around a lot. Our ceiling will be limited until Billy can get all his guys in, but looking at the 2023 list with 20 commits and 18 4-stars I'll take the W over #7 Utah. The D did ultimately win the game for us and had one Helluva goal line stand that kept the desert people off the board. Also, I think Utes gave it everything they had playing a helluva good game, were well conditioned and did as well as they could to ignore 91000 shreiking maniacs. But... the Gators beat them. Going to bed with a smile on my face tonight :swampqueen:

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Excellent recap, Cover. I couldn’t agree more. These boys ain’t ready to plant a flag on the national stage, but it was nice to see them execute the fundamentals (at least on offense) that have been rare these past few years. AR15 looks awesome and justified the hype that exists around him. If the skill guys can grow into legit threats, the sky is the limit on offense. Like you, I’m very concerned with the defense. For years, we’ve had the slowest, weakest, smallest, and most UNCOACHED defense we’ve ever had. Under Grantham, each year somehow got exponentially worse than the previous… so, I don’t expect a ton out of that side of the ball this year. But, there is room for immediate improvement. The coaches definitely need to get those boys to wrap up on tackles, maintain gap control, and establish edge containment. If we can just take care of those fundamentals on defense, this team can grow into something special.

We haven’t seen much, but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We need to shore up the middle of the defense. Utah continued to run straight up the middle , daring us to stop it. We need help at DT.

Missed tackles, missed tackles, missed tackles!
It seemed like we were in good position to make plays and would miss a tackle or they would drag us for four yards.

I did notice a lot of freshman on D.
Shemar James
Kamari Wilson
Devin Moore
Chris McClellan

Also, did Trey Smack kick?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s my recap: the coffee tastes better this morning.

Excellent writeup Cover, as always.

The defense had issues, but the two goal stands were legendary.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Excellent summary, @cover2 A few random thoughts:

As advertised: OL, RBs, Pearsall, Miller. I noticed James covering his TE really well. He’s going to be special.

Utah doesn’t give up sacks. We did affect Rising several times but the front needs to get more pressure. Our DL guys didn’t look tired to me even at the end.

Penalties still an issue. Watson played way more than I expected.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We were lucky to win that game. Funny how good coaches are so often lucky.

Sheesh guys explain to me why the negativity. We had a lot of things go our way. One of three major ones was the goal line fumble. Last year would we have busted the ball carriers chops? Probably not. There was no quit in this team, even when things looked really bad. A good coach, BN, makes luck. How is that negative?

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A week of college football isn't complete without a Cover 2 writeup. Great job as always.

I think this was a statement game on many levels. First, it showed that we are a legit top 10 team. Of course, we potentially play 3 other top 10 teams (at least in talent) with 2-3 other legit top 25 teams this year. This may be the toughest schedule we've had in 15 years, but Billy seems up to the challenge.

Which leads me to my second point in that the Gators made a statement that we are in a new and different era for the better. The last 3 coaches made us a laughing stock by the the end of their third years. That won't happen under Napier. The Gators earned back a lot of respect last night, and while I don't think we'll win every game, we'll,at least we'll play every team tough.

Last, both the offense and defense made big statements last night. Going for it on 4th down in the first took balls. The offense needing a touchdown to win, and then confidently doing it, using a timeout strategically knowing that you are going to score. We are done playing "not to lose." Then the defense with basically two goalline stands with one to end the game. Yeah this isn't the best defense in the country, but they are fighters, and their confidence (and hopefully tackling) will continue to grow.

What a game. It will be remembered and talked about for many years to come.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Son #1 and I stayed at our seats for a full 15-20 minutes after the game. I don't even know when the last time was that we did that. We were in the NE corner and watched the entire team practically sprint to the band... I don't think I've ever seen that. It just felt... different. I turned to Son #1 and the only thing I could come up with to say to was, "Just... WOW." He replied, "yup."

Before the game, it felt like a game I wanted us to win. By halftime, it felt like a must win. When it was over, it felt like it was probably our most important win in the last decade for what it meant going forward.

Just... WOW.
20220903_223045.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Son #1 and I stayed at our seats for a full 15-20 minutes after the game. I don't even know when the last time was that we did that. We were in the NE corner and watched the entire team practically sprint to the band... I don't think I've ever seen that. It just felt... different. I turned to Son #1 and the only thing I could come up with to say to Son #1 was, "Just... WOW." He replied, "yup."

Before the game, it felt like a game I wanted us to win. By halftime, it felt like a must win. When it was over, it felt like it was probably our most important win in the last decade for what it meant going forward.

Just... WOW.
Our fellow Ute fan said stadiums out in Montana and Wyoming were louder and he was unimpressed. Was it loud?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Our fellow Ute fan said stadiums out in Montana and Wyoming were louder and he was unimpressed. Was it loud?
It was very loud, from start to finish. And I have never heard "Orange - Blue" go back and forth as long as it did last night, not even close. I think what a lot of people don't realize is how loud it is on the FIELD vs in the stands, it is wayyyy magnified at field level. We were there for the Perine Auburn run and it was loud in the stands, but you can't appreciate how loud until you hear that field level video. The INT last night was that level loud.

Also, that Ute dude can go fuk himself, right after he fuks his "not Mormon" third wife.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We need to shore up the middle of the defense. Utah continued to run straight up the middle , daring us to stop it. We need help at DT.
Some inconsistency and lack of quality depth hurt this group. There were some technique issues. #21, a really big dude, could be seen behind the LOS instead of manning his gap on some run plays. Too much penetration takes him out of the play, leaves a cutback lane, frees a blocker to climb, etc. Cox ran by the ball carrier while chasing the QB carrying out his action. We’ve seen that before. We missed some tackles and should have had more people at the ball. Some credit for that goes to the Utes OL. We played pretty plain, which says to me that Billy, Toney, etc. expect our guys to be both tough and disciplined to allow us to play a lot of two high and not give up the long balls. Using a dad comparison, he’s keeping the training wheels on while the kids learn to balance and control the bike instead of giving them a motorcycle, which is exciting, but way more dangerous.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was very loud, from start to finish. And I have never heard "Orange - Blue" go back and forth as long as it did last night, not even close. I think what a lot of people don't realize is how loud it is on the FIELD vs in the stands, it is wayyyy magnified at field level. We were there for the Perine Auburn run and it was loud in the stands, but you can't appreciate how loud until you hear that field level video. The INT last night was that level loud.

Also, that Ute dude can go fuk himself, right after he fuks his "not Mormon" third wife.
I was at the game against UT when Grier was there and that big play hit at the end.
We were no where near field level and it was loudest I'd ever heard it (granted I've only been to a handful of games). I can only imagine how loud it was in comparison to that...had to be complete insanity last night:lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Here's another thing: we out coached Utah. For such an experienced guy with plenty of big game experience, he made several either incredibly stupid, or incredibly arrogant, decisions given an away game against a team that was hanging around in the game. Billy didn't really make any. Only series that did seem "here we go again" was the one AR bailed us out on with a designed play on 4th and 3.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Through the doldrums of the Chimp-Butters-Mullenz years one thing has remained has remained second to none, Cover 2's recap and analysis of the game. Thanks again Cover!

95% of the showboating and me first attitude was gone.
The team played hard for 60 minutes.
The special teams need improve.
The defense will take more time to get to where we want to be.

Beating the Pac 12 Champ and #7 team the nation is a fine start to Napier era. All Gators should be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator