Bobby Knight dead at 83

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Never was a fan. He used fear and intimidation as his means of coaching. Definition of a bully.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never was a fan. He used fear and intimidation as his means of coaching. Definition of a bully.

It was commonplace back then. My football coach in high school was a tyrant. It was all about deploying the standard military tactic of fear and intimidation because, well, humans are humans. They tend to respond to it with outperformance. The rest is history. It's a major no-no now.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I always thought most of his demeanor was an act. Every over the top action was carefully designed to invoke the reaction he wanted. A master manipulator.

Heard Jordan once credit Knight for teaching him HOW to really play defense on that Olympic team.

HIs problem was being 100% loud and intense all the time. After time, your point doesn't resonate and when you need to go 100%, no one knows because you are there all the time.

He wanted the best for his players and I think took it personally when they didn't develop to be THEIR best and short changed themselves and considered that HIS own failure. Definitely one of the old school ones.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Conformity, compliance and performance. That's what Knight sought with his tactics. He was going to break you down, make you surrender to the team concept, then mold you into something. You can't argue with the result. Three national titles and 902 career wins.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was a Dick! But, he got respect and results.... RIP!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Conformity, compliance and performance. That's what Knight sought with his tactics. He was going to break you down, make you surrender to the team concept, then mold you into something. You can't argue with the result. Three national titles and 902 career wins.
He wouldn’t last 1/2 a season anywhere today. Couldn’t keep anyone on his roster.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He wouldn’t last 1/2 a season anywhere today. Couldn’t keep anyone on his roster.

Leach proved over a decade ago that that approach leaves you with a Scarlett Letter. Knight wouldn't even get hired.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Billy D or Billy N?
Ncaa Basketball Thumbs Up GIF by NCAA March Madness

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Leach proved over a decade ago that that approach leaves you with a Scarlett Letter. Knight wouldn't even get hired.
They coached at Texas Tech at the same time and had the same pussy faculty on their assess the whole time.

I liked watching him, but mostly to see the circus - like watching wrestling. I had coaches like that growing up and never thought much about it as being too hard (maybe choking Reed was a bit much).

An icon who was loved and hated, but went about his business his way and never apologized for the success it brought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.