Booster Writes Scathing & Depressing Tweet about UF NIL

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've said it before, and I think the problem is a lack of success before NIL and NIL.

Before the internet. Yeah that's kind of like B.C. Before the internet I would go on Sunday to specialty news stands to get every paper that had something on the Gator game.

Through all of it, games were an event. Either the family went to the game or we planned our Saturday around the game. We all watched at the game or together at somebody's home cheering them on.

Now?? I can't get a single family member (including my son a grad) to watch a game. We care a little, but not enough to endure the pain of watching the team predictably fall apart for the umpteenth time. I have probably watched a total of 2 hours of the entire last season.

Are we bandwagon fans. I don't think so. It took a long time and a lot of pain to get to this point. For those of us who endured the Ray Graves years or before; there was at least a goal, something to hope for. That something was our first League championship. What have we got now?

Rhvgator

Mar 10, 2021
I just purchased my 2024 season tickets. I’ve had my 2 measly endzone seats for about 30 years. I’m a low level booster. If my high school Sr daughter doesn’t get into UF, this will probably be my last year of purchasing the seats, because I won’t have a reason to go.

For me, I’m not going to pay for my tickets (and maybe a tuition) and an additional fee to dump into a collective.

I‘m as die hard of a Gator fan as there is, but this new system just sucks for all of college football.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NIL is still relatively new and poorly regulated...hardly regulated at all, honestly.
It's the wild west, along with the transfer portal, separate but loosely connected, problem.

This isn't just a problem for UF, it's a problem for everyone. You have to be absolutely blind to not see it.
Not disagreeing with that. But the notion that our fan contributions is the reason why players would rather go to ole miss than uf is retarded.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not disagreeing with that. But the notion that our fan contributions is the reason why players would rather go to ole miss than uf is retarded.
I don't think anyone was saying that. And what I got from Hal's tweet was more about the system overall, he just happens to be a UF guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, the higher-end donor types also know what a "sunk cost" is and try to avoid it at all costs.

There really is no point in investing $25 or $25M into an investment scheme where the Chief Executive can't get such basic things right as counting to 11--on multiple occasions throughout the season--costing us AT LEAST one game definitively...and likely at least another one abstractly.
Exactly. No amount of money could ever fix Billy's stupid. He already has a massive talent advantage over teams like Vandy and Kentucky yet is 1-3 vs them. I dont know exactly what the magic number is for Stupid Bill, but he loses regularly to teams over which he has a 3:1 blue chip advantage.

Even if we had a trillion to sink into NIL you would never be able to give him the kind of talent advantage to win against elite teams. We will never get to 4:1 or 5:1 or whatever it takes to overcome Simple Bill's stupid.

This is why Im ok with not hiring an OC or real DC to try to fix this. No amount could fix it so just let him sink. Then flush.

Last edited:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Relying on fans to fund your payroll is the stupidest business model ever invented.

“Ya know, college football brings in a lot of money, the players should probably be getting a cut of that. Yea, but not the millions that are already coming in. Let’s make fans pay them.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone was saying that. And what I got from Hal's tweet was more about the system overall, he just happens to be a UF guy.
Halley Hal loves attention.

NIL also isnt supposed to be about boosters. It is supposed to be about businesses who want to have orange and blue and faces of beloved athletes in their advertisements. You know, the official orange juice of the Florida Gators commercials might have Trey and ETN racing for the last glass of juice or whatever.

UAA doesnt want to give those funds up however. They want that flowing into their coffers. These dont go to building facilties either. Ir just disappears into the bowels of the beast. UAA wants to control everything and apparently arent actively looking for ACTUAL advertising opportunities.

I can tell you I see the faces of UK players on billboards when I drive through Lexington and central Kentucky with business names associated. Even Mr. For the People has them up. I know some of you think he's a Gator but he isn't.

I did give to the Collective. I wont give to FV precisely because the some UAA old boys who fuchsed everything else up are running it (poorly). At the very least I need some transparency as to where all the money's going. I need to see it is going to football and not voleyball and womens tennis. They apparently dont want to show us for some reason.

Last edited:

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
If that post is true, it's worse than I thought. A roster in todays college football is $85 million?
Oh, I thought it might end up that way after a few years, but damn, this has gone off a cliff.

Yes, I want a championship caliber team at UF. Goes without saying.
Yes, I have contributed to Gator Boosters and will continue to do so.
Asking me to donate to a collective whose sole purpose is to pay an 18 year old kid to come to UF to play football?

That's a hard no.
Especially, if there's no contract, they can transfer at will, play like crap and never reach their potential, and still get paid????
Are they even required to attend class?
Again, if this post is true, you're asking a guy to help pay a salary to someone to play football, that will make more money at 18 years old, than I do actually contributing to society and paying taxes.

It's fine, I get it.
I've lost my 401k, TWICE.
I'm pissed off, struggling day to day with my job , I'm trying to retire in 3-5 years. I've increased savings and 401k contributions, busting my azz with several different projects at the same time, juggling finances in this ****ty economy.

Now I'm supposed to give cash monthly to some spoiled, entitled, prick, that could care less about the University of Florida?
Like ETN and his momma??
Laughable.
Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Relying on fans to fund your payroll is the stupidest business model ever invented.

“Ya know, college football brings in a lot of money, the players should probably be getting a cut of that. Yea, but not the millions that are already coming in. Let’s make fans pay them.”
150 million a year. We've fallen from our perch in the top 2-3 but we are still top 10 in revenue.

We just plead property and guard that money. ADs office views it as their own.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Halley Hal loves attention.

NIL also isnt supposed to be about boosters. It is supposed to be about businesses who want to have orange and blue and faces of beloved athletes in their advertisements. UAA wants to control everything and apparently arent actively looking for that.

I did give to the Collective. I wont give to FV precisely because the sone UAA old boys who fuchsed everything else up are running it (poorly). At the very least I need some transparency as to where all the money's going. I need to see it is going to football and not voleyball and womens tennis. They apparently dont want to show us for some reason.
Like I said....Wild West.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know who he is. He's a big Napier guy. He'd rather the fans shut up and give more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.